GX550 Hybrid engine

markdent

Feb 21, 2024
Sydney Australia
Hi There, I have heard different stories re the GX550 Hybrid engine. The Lexus Japan website says it will be 2.4L hybrid specification and interviews with Japanese engineer during the USA launch, said they are still resolving Battery Waterproofing issues, and can't confirm hybrid engine specifications. Does anybody have an update as to the Kilowatt and Newton Metres for the hybrid engine please?

I'm still wondering if Lexus will use the Hybrid system from the new Toyota Sequoia.
I MO to cover Markdent and supersix hopefully they solve waterproofing I would think they will use solid state batteries because they are thinner you could possibly move them around the vehicle example under 2nd row and or plus cargo space in 550 utilizing some batteries for electronics accessories, and the secondary batteries for hybrid use and being thinner would increase some of the cargo space

In the Toyota TRD Pro i-FORCE MAX 3.4-Liter Turbo V6 4-Wheel Drive 5.5-ft. bed CrewMax, Toyota already have a i-FORCE MAX 3.4L Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid, 437 hp @ 5200 rpm, 583 lb.-ft. @ 2400 rpm, so why would they not use that engine platform for the GX550H?

In the Toyota TRD Pro i-FORCE MAX 3.4-Liter Turbo V6 4-Wheel Drive 5.5-ft. bed CrewMax, Toyota already have a i-FORCE MAX 3.4L Twin-Turbo V6 Hybrid, 437 hp @ 5200 rpm, 583 lb.-ft. @ 2400 rpm, so why would they not use that engine platform for the GX550H?
Idk probably want to use the new -old technology of solid state batteries

If the GX550 hybrid turns out to be the i-Force Max 2.4-liter turbocharged I-4, will you be disappointed? I was hoping for the V-6 Hybrid (Without the potential main bearing issue).

If the GX550 hybrid turns out to be the i-Force Max 2.4-liter turbocharged I-4, will you be disappointed? I was hoping for the V-6 Hybrid (Without the potential main bearing issue).
Absolutely. Twin-turbo 3.4L V6 is bad enough, there's no way I'm driving a 4-banger, magic hybrid or not.

Seems like there’s too much compromise with the storage of the battery as well. You lose a lot of trunk space and it’s in an awkward configuration with the raised battery in the back. Almost like the design was an afterthought.

Lot of people complaining about real world mileage with the Lc hybrid as well as a 17 gallon tank. If it is the same engine you might want to read up.

Think Lexus has a problem with a hybrid GX.

If they use the Land Cruiser 4 cylinder, towing capacity & torque would be significantly lower. Also, cheapens a premium GX upgrade from the LC.

If they use the Sequoia V6 hybrid, gas mileage could only improve by 2-3 mpg combined. Sequoia 4wd is rated 19-22 vs gx550 15-21.

Was waiting for the hybrid, but now wondering what to do. I want the torque & towing capacity and not thrilled about the forgot-to-engineer the battery in the back bolt on. Definitely not Lexu$ like.

The battery eating up the vertical space in the interior is a real head scratcher for me on the LC. I hope they don’t follow suit with the GX and the launch delay on it. I was surprised by the small fuel tank so I’m wondering if they are going with a different design.

The battery eating up the vertical space in the interior is a real head scratcher for me on the LC. I hope they don’t follow suit with the GX and the launch delay on it. I was surprised by the small fuel tank so I’m wondering if they are going with a different design.
Given the offroad capability of the GX, there really wasn't anywhere else to place the battery outside of the vehicle that wouldn't subject it to the elements. Lexus could have completely reengineered the vehicle, but given the relatively lower sales number for the GX, wouldn't be the best business decision.

Given the offroad capability of the GX, there really wasn't anywhere else to place the battery outside of the vehicle that wouldn't subject it to the elements. Lexus could have completely reengineered the vehicle, but given the relatively lower sales number for the GX, wouldn't be the best business decision.
TNGA-F was a new platform, they've just decided to stick with bulkier tech (NiMH) and didn't design around it when they developed that, apparently. This platform is used in a lot of Toyota/Lexus vehicles, so it's not a small volume platform. Tacoma, Tundra, LX, Sequoia, LC, 4R are all derivatives using TNGA-F.

They've been pushing back against the electrification story for a decade now (strange to me when the Prius has been such a part of it over the years) and it shows in their newer designs. Only Toyota/Lexus knows why they didn't design for hybrid implementations in the near future when the writing has been on the wall about electrification for a while now.

Again - I hope they "do better" on the GX, but I'm not holding my breath.

TNGA-F was a new platform, they've just decided to stick with bulkier tech (NiMH) and didn't design around it when they developed that, apparently. This platform is used in a lot of Toyota/Lexus vehicles, so it's not a small volume platform. Tacoma, Tundra, LX, Sequoia, LC, 4R are all derivatives using TNGA-F.

They've been pushing back against the electrification story for a decade now (strange to me when the Prius has been such a part of it over the years) and it shows in their newer designs. Only Toyota/Lexus knows why they didn't design for hybrid implementations in the near future when the writing has been on the wall about electrification for a while now.

Again - I hope they "do better" on the GX, but I'm not holding my breath.
As we see most electricification isn't selling anywhere near as well as manufacturers thought. Toyota by holding off is probably saving untold millions all the other manufacturers are losing based upon reading the market incorrectly.

Full on electric cars don’t sell that well

Hybrids like what Toyota has bet the farm on have actually done very very well and are extremely popular.

If they just slap a battery in the cargo area in the future hybrid GX550 and cover it with cheap carpet then it will be as much of a joke as the new Land Cruiser. I really like the new Land Cruiser but I'd never accept that afterthought battery in the cargo area. Just like the Sequoia and the moronic 3rd row seat arrangement.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back