GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Sir, my dealer is in Va as well, Pohanka in Chantilly. They have been less than accommodating and keep giving me the “it’s a normal driving characteristic of this vehicle”. I even brought it in for the brake squeal in the mornings, and since they couldn’t replicate it there, they said there’s no problem. I even offered for them to keep it over night. I’ve heard so many good things about Lexus service, but doesn’t seem so in this case…
You can go to any Lexus dealer. If there is another one nearby take it to them and have it checked out. As with anything your dealership may be a bad apple!

Sir, my dealer is in Va as well, Pohanka in Chantilly. They have been less than accommodating and keep giving me the “it’s a normal driving characteristic of this vehicle”. I even brought it in for the brake squeal in the mornings, and since they couldn’t replicate it there, they said there’s no problem. I even offered for them to keep it over night. I’ve heard so many good things about Lexus service, but doesn’t seem so in this case…

I suggest you take a video of the squealing and go to the dealer. Best of luck!

Bummer to hear some of this reading through the thread. A vibration that shouldn't be there can be detected for sure and is not inherent of this platform imo.

We picked up an Overtrail+ yesterday. Felt normal leaving dealership on the fresh Toyo AT's, but we immediately swapped wheels/tires and had Discount Tire road force balance and align. Tracks straight, no vibration and the tires and suspension haven't even broken in yet. Put 18x8.5 +35et with Falken AT4W C load which is a heavy tire. Was a little firm at 40psi for me. Aired down to 35 psi cold which is much better. Sometimes a heavier wheel/tire combo can actually smooth things out a bit and so far I think it has helped. Steering is still super light and responsive and the truck feels just slightly heavier but in a good way (could be in my head though lol).

Road tripping this weekend and after couple hundred miles the new tires and suspension components are breaking in (can take 500-1000 imo). Already feels softer and more compliant to me driving this morning. Transmission also feels more settled through the modes. We have a 2014 4runner Limited lifted with 33's that we love and the GX is way more composed in comparison. GX roof rack is loud but we have a rack and a Thule carrier on the 4Runner which is also loud so we're used to it. The GX rack wont stay on unless we need it for big trips. GX is awesome on highway and just devours any large imperfections/bumps. It's a little jittery over small broken road imperfections at low speeds but its not bad. Eco, comfort and normal all feel amazing on the highway. Sport feels best around town for me or when traffic is fast and tight...well damped and still comfy.

Just wanted to share my initial experiences with our OT+.

Hope everyone gets there vehicles sorted out.
What size tire did you put on?

What size tire did you put on?
285/70/18

Snug fitment up front. Barely rubbed the lower cover (w/ the three plastic push pins) behind the front passenger tire at full lock. Removed the cover from both sides. No rubbing anywhere now.

(Edited original post.)

285/70/18

Snug fitment up front. Barely rubbed the lower cover (w/ the three plastic push pins) behind the front passenger tire at full lock. Removed the cover from both sides. No rubbing anywhere now.

(Edited original post.)
No lift? Any pictures? I keep hoping to see if those tires would work on the stock rims.

No lift? Any pictures? I keep hoping to see if those tires would work on the stock rims.
No lift.

I'll post pics over in the aftermarket wheel thread when I have time to upload some decent pics.

Somebody with a Nori has that size on Overtrail wheels. They fit fine and look awesome.

285/70 no lift.
IMG_3172.jpeg

Went to my lexus dealer and test drove a premium and lux+. Premium didn’t have the adaptive suspension and it was the smoothest. Took the drive into old suburban neighborhoods with rough paved roads. The lux+ and my overtrail plus drove the same. Felt every bump. The premium smoothed the small bumps out. This leads me to believe its the adaptive suspension not working as well as the regular suspension on small bumps. Just my 2 cents

I have been speaking with 1-800-Lexus and they will reveal nothing about the vibration (my biggest concern), hood flutter and brake noise (annoyances) other than being polite and then saying I should work with my local dealer. I told them I would be happy if Lexus would state they are looking into it, but they keep going back to “individual experiences” and “work with your local dealer” which tells me they are trying to avoid a costly fix. Even my local dealer told me they are working on the brake problem. I asked Lexus what I should tell people when they ask about my new truck … I can’t recommend it at this point.

I have been speaking with 1-800-Lexus and they will reveal nothing about the vibration (my biggest concern), hood flutter and brake noise (annoyances) other than being polite and then saying I should work with my local dealer. I told them I would be happy if Lexus would state they are looking into it, but they keep going back to “individual experiences” and “work with your local dealer” which tells me they are trying to avoid a costly fix. Even my local dealer told me they are working on the brake problem. I asked Lexus what I should tell people when they ask about my new truck … I can’t recommend it at this point.
Frustrating... Been said before but this will surely be looked at down the raod as "first model yr." type issue. Would be very "untoyota like" not to fix. We may never completely understand the root cause if it doesn't reveal itself out in the real world. Should be picking mine up within the next two weeks and there's a definite drumroll playing in the back of my head. Not sure if I'll pass on it if it vibrates unless it really stands out.

Went to my lexus dealer and test drove a premium and lux+. Premium didn’t have the adaptive suspension and it was the smoothest. Took the drive into old suburban neighborhoods with rough paved roads. The lux+ and my overtrail plus drove the same. Felt every bump. The premium smoothed the small bumps out. This leads me to believe its the adaptive suspension not working as well as the regular suspension on small bumps. Just my 2 cents
This is probably a good first-hand description of 3 trucks that are as intended from factory. The ride is bumpy. Noticeably more so than my prior 470, or older 4Runners, for example.

I think what we're hearing about the supposed brake-related vibrations is a recognized flaw (or at least becoming one). Hood vibration is a design flaw, but not something that intermittently affects. It's universal. I think a lot of other accounts of a harsher than expected ride are just the way the truck behaves.

Anyone who thinks they're experiencing the vibration issue really should immediately go test drive another on the lot. That's the only way you'll know if you have an issue, and if you think you're experiencing the vibrations, take a tech and service advisor with you on both drives . . .

Frustrating... Been said before but this will surely be looked at down the raod as "first model yr." type issue. Would be very "untoyota like" not to fix. We may never completely understand the root cause if it doesn't reveal itself out in the real world. Should be picking mine up within the next two weeks and there's a definite drumroll playing in the back of my head. Not sure if I'll pass on it if it vibrates unless it really stands out.
I get mine on Thursday, will take if for a test drive at the dealer before it heads home.

I have literally heard both of those exact same answers several times. Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly Va is by far the worst service experience I have ever been associated with. Honestly the only dealer service department ive dealt with, i usually work on my own stuff, and have never had these types of issues with a brand new vehicle before. Let alone, an $80k “luxury” vehicle. My case manager has a meeting set up for me with a Lexus engineer for 10/28. Anyone dealing with these issues should hit up their case manager and request a meeting. This person will be in the Northern Va are from 10/28-10/30 (Mon-Weds).

I'm up to just under 800 miles on my OT. The only noise complaint is from the roof rack. I'm extremely happy with everything else, so far. As far as driving another one at the dealer, you can't here. They don't have any that aren't spoken for.

Just picked up my OT+ yesterday and drove it 200 miles home. My thoughts:

Looks a tad bit smaller (4-runner ish) when I first grabbed it and not a huge fan of all the glossy black finishes (atomic silver with black roof), almost wish I went monocolor. Interior is definitely not as “refined” as Volvo but man it’s clean lines and incredible visibility, love the hood lines and flat dash- great tech too. Felt immediately like taking it on the trails(just need a bumber with winch).

Immediately went to service manager to ask about brake caliper issues, vibrations etc and he said no known issues. Took for test drive and salesman told me he thinks it is “bumpy at low speeds due to off road tires.” I didn’t notice that at all. My personal car is a v90 xcountry wagon and it’s extremely tight and rough suspension. My work trucks include, Tahoe, Durango, f250 and previously drove f150.

I think the salesman is used to selling lexus cars with road suspensions vs off-road body on frame etc, this truck drives supremely well. I did notice vibration on the back passenger seat at 75-80 but did not feel it reverberate through the steering wheel. I love the little bit of give the wheel has, found it extremely easy to drive for long distances. Notice hood flutter but non issue, seems normal for aluminum frame vehicles nowadays. Also notice rear bumper plate is flimsy- but don’t mind it because it’s modular and made to be easy to replace.

In normal mode, acceleration from stop is a bit delayed, annoying but seemed to get better with more driving?

Absolutely felt this truck glide over bumps on Vermont dirt roads that my xcountry wagon would feel violently, this GX just eased in and out of the ruts.

Off road trucks handle differently than lux SUVs. I am intrigued about the caliper issues and monitoring to see any changes. I’m thrilled with first impressions. Just for info I was totally all in on the grenadier until price woes and low trade in values from local grenadier dealer…

Just picked up my OT+ yesterday and drove it 200 miles home. My thoughts:

Looks a tad bit smaller (4-runner ish) when I first grabbed it and not a huge fan of all the glossy black finishes (atomic silver with black roof), almost wish I went monocolor. Interior is definitely not as “refined” as Volvo but man it’s clean lines and incredible visibility, love the hood lines and flat dash- great tech too. Felt immediately like taking it on the trails(just need a bumber with winch).

Immediately went to service manager to ask about brake caliper issues, vibrations etc and he said no known issues. Took for test drive and salesman told me he thinks it is “bumpy at low speeds due to off road tires.” I didn’t notice that at all. My personal car is a v90 xcountry wagon and it’s extremely tight and rough suspension. My work trucks include, Tahoe, Durango, f250 and previously drove f150.

I think the salesman is used to selling lexus cars with road suspensions vs off-road body on frame etc, this truck drives supremely well. I did notice vibration on the back passenger seat at 75-80 but did not feel it reverberate through the steering wheel. I love the little bit of give the wheel has, found it extremely easy to drive for long distances. Notice hood flutter but non issue, seems normal for aluminum frame vehicles nowadays. Also notice rear bumper plate is flimsy- but don’t mind it because it’s modular and made to be easy to replace.

In normal mode, acceleration from stop is a bit delayed, annoying but seemed to get better with more driving?

Absolutely felt this truck glide over bumps on Vermont dirt roads that my xcountry wagon would feel violently, this GX just eased in and out of the ruts.

Off road trucks handle differently than lux SUVs. I am intrigued about the caliper issues and monitoring to see any changes. I’m thrilled with first impressions. Just for info I was totally all in on the grenadier until price woes and low trade in values from local grenadier dealer…
Meant to add, the cool box is a total waste of space 😂

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%