GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
My Overtrail+ has noticable vibration at all speeds on perfectly smooth roads. The hood flop is also present. The dealer took it to a collision center who added foam to the two part hood for stabilization, which resulted in a small improvement. The dealer attributed the vibration to an improperly weighted tire, and their techs replaced one tire and returned my vehicle after two weeks with the same issues. They stated that they didn't notice the vibration, but I don't think they wanted to deal with me anymore. I opened a case with Lexus. Also... There is a noticeable noise is when changing from Drive to Park. Anyone have that?

My Overtrail+ has noticable vibration at all speeds on perfectly smooth roads. The hood flop is also present. The dealer took it to a collision center who added foam to the two part hood for stabilization, which resulted in a small improvement. The dealer attributed the vibration to an improperly weighted tire, and their techs replaced one tire and returned my vehicle after two weeks with the same issues. They stated that they didn't notice the vibration, but I don't think they wanted to deal with me anymore. I opened a case with Lexus. Also... There is a noticeable noise is when changing from Drive to Park. Anyone have that?
The noise you hear when you switch from park to drive or vice-versa is your automatic parking brake setting or releasing.

Last edited:
Are you coming into the GX from another body-on-frame SUV?

Are you coming into the GX from another body-on-frame SUV?
I have two 2006 LJ's, one 2007 JK, an LR4 and my previous vehicle was a Range Rover Velar. I didn't expect it to be as smooth as the RR, but my GX 550 rattles more than the LG with 35's.

Attachments

• 20210707_203417.jpg
    20210707_203417.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 46
Long shot theory - I read somewhere that the Overtrails ship with BFG K03s which are a brand new product from BF Goodrich. Could it be possible that the BFGs are defective? All the tooling is probably new in the manufacturing process so who knows?

Long shot theory - I read somewhere that the Overtrails ship with BFG K03s which are a brand new product from BF Goodrich. Could it be possible that the BFGs are defective? All the tooling is probably new in the manufacturing process so who knows?
They are Toyo Open Country A/T III

Attachments

• gx550-overtrail-tire-specs.jpg
    gx550-overtrail-tire-specs.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 43
The noise you hear when you switch from park to drive or vice-versa is your automatic parking break setting or releasing.

Interesting! Mine has Toyo Open Country A/T 3, and one was replaced at the dealership as they believed it was defective. I didn't notice a change in the ride following the replacement.

Make sure they road force balance the tires. Not all tire places or dealerships use that. Makes a huge difference. These new trucks are very sensitive to anything out of balance and your will feel it. Our LC200 is very sensitive to any slight out of balance.
Also I’ve found these guys sometimes forget to pull off the old weights as well.

I p
Please do keep us posted. My OT+ due in June. Hope it’s an easy fix for you!

I just picked up a luxury + for my wife and have a terrible vibration through my seat. Same as described in this thread. My tire pressure was set by the dealer at 43psi/ 10 psi over recommended. After adjustment to tire pressure, it still vibrates through my seat and shakes the second row captains chairs. My hood also jumps around. It is not a vibration like a wheel out of balance. I have an appointment to take mine back on Monday next week. We only have about 100 miles on it.

For those of you experiencing this dramatic vibration, I will just say that is NOT normal. When I test drove my OT, I just remember thinking it was just so buttery smooth to drive. I drove it on smooth roads and very bumpy roads, and it just seemed to glide over it all nicely. It could be wheel alignment or if it is tires, maybe take it to a reputable tire shop and have them check the tires. The thing is the steering is not physically connected to the tires, so if you are getting vibration in the tires you won't necessarily feel it in the steering wheel.

I p

I just picked up a luxury + for my wife and have a terrible vibration through my seat. Same as described in this thread. My tire pressure was set by the dealer at 43psi/ 10 psi over recommended. After adjustment to tire pressure, it still vibrates through my seat and shakes the second row captains chairs. My hood also jumps around. It is not a vibration like a wheel out of balance. I have an appointment to take mine back on Monday next week. We only have about 100 miles on it.

I p

Prob saw my posts above, but dealer gave up trying to fix my Luxury+ after 21 days. They messed with pressures, rebalancing, system checks, swapped tires and wheels from an LX onto it… nothing. To me it felt like the car was fighting itself. Like the adaptive variable suspension at each wheel was “out of phase” (more of a term for audio engineering, but you get my point). Dealer told me they’d let me know what it ultimately was after corporate mechanics got their hands on it. So far, 5 weeks later and nothing.

My OT+ still has vibrations over 55. I took it back to dealer at 250miles. Dealer balanced wheels and moved them around. Also lowered the tire pressure from 41 to 35. Front end alignment was out. My hood bounces all over the place. Love the truck but not a fan of the vibrating empty seats. I was told by the dealer that it was an offroad vehicle with aggressive tires and the ride was normal. I drive many different vehicles and the ride is not that great in the GX my F250 has a better highway feel. I will stay close to this thread to see what happens.

My OT+ still has vibrations over 55. I took it back to dealer at 250miles. Dealer balanced wheels and moved them around. Also lowered the tire pressure from 41 to 35. Front end alignment was out. My hood bounces all over the place. Love the truck but not a fan of the vibrating empty seats. I was told by the dealer that it was an offroad vehicle with aggressive tires and the ride was normal. I drive many different vehicles and the ride is not that great in the GX my F250 has a better highway feel. I will stay close to this thread to see what happens.
I may or may not have hit 90 in my OT yesterday passing some vehicles to get over for an exit, and I had zero vibrations, no hood shake, just smooth acceleration. I'm only sharing this to help you guys that are dealing with this because it's definitely not right. I feel so bad for those of you dealing with this because I absolutely love how this GX OT drives. I think the Toyo tires are actually so nice and quiet with such a great ride, while looking great and offering some offroad clout. I really hope someone figured this out and they can get it resolved for everyone experiencing this, because if they do you are going to love this truck.

Hi I picked up my gx550 overtrail+ last month and felt the same thing I dropped the car off and they balanced the tires and put new tires and still does the same , I just picked it up today , I will contact them again and see what solution they have . This is not normal

Hi I picked up my gx550 overtrail+ last month and felt the same thing I dropped the car off and they balanced the tires and put new tires and still does the same , I just picked it up today , I will contact them again and see what solution they have . This is not normal
This is concerning. Is the dealer giving you the it's normal run around? Have you had a chance to drive another one for comparison?

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
I have the same issue , they replace the tires and still same issue . I picked up he car today makes a call to 1800 Lexus number have a case number and dropped off the car again

After being at my dealer for two weeks, ordering a new rear tire, trying wheels and tires off an overtrail, my Luxury + still vibrates at all speeds. I am picking it back up tomorrow and opening a case with Lexus. My dealer has also reported the issue.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)