GX550 Overtrail Vibration

I just took delivery of my GX 550 overtrail + last week. I love the truck but it is a bit rougher than the LUX+ was and to me drives like the newer jeep wranglers I have rented. Now to give you some back ground on my vehicles and suspension experience: I have a 996 911 TT with a track suspension setup so I know rough/stiff suspension. Previously, I had an 06’ LR3(air suspension) and drove it for 200K then a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro(Wescott suspension lift). Got rid of the 4 Runner because it didnt have enough cargo space for my kiting and foiling gear and that 5 speed transmission sucked. In my opinion and my wife's the Wescott suspension lift smoothed out the 4Runner. Next vehicle I decided to go big, GMC At4 Yukon XL(Air suspension). That Truck shut off twice on me before the engine blew up at 2,500 miles. The Engine was replaced then the truck shutoff on me again first time I drove it. GMC is buying it back. And now the GX550……..
Before I pulled the trigger on the Overtrail+, I test drove a Luxury+ which seemed very smooth. In my opinion my OT+ drives worse than the LUX+ but not as bad as some have said. I have noticed that when the rear wheels hit small bumps it make the whole vehicle shudder(normal or comfort). When I select sportS or SportS+ it would seem to stop the vehicle rattle on the bumps but you still feel the bump more than you think you would(kind of like my 911). My wife got in the GX550 pax seat the first time and said she felt a vibration, but I was not feeling any vibration. I started paying more attention and have noticed some vibration on back roads imperfectly paved however, drive a main road that is smoother or the highway and its driving completely different, smooth with no vibration, but I still feel some small bumps more than I would have in my 4Runner. Body roll while in normal or comfort is significant. Switch to either sport mode and i'm taking a fairly tight off ramp at 70mph with little body role and smooth ride. I actually couldnt believe how fast I was able to take that off ramp. Interestingly, driving in our rock based imperfect community parking lot and its buttery smooth with no vibration. Additionally, if you drive fast over large rounded speed bumps the suspension soaks it up and its buttery smooth again. I can only think this has to do with the AVS and the dampening not actuating when it should. We are about to take a fully loaded truck and roof top carrier road trip and I’m curious how the GX550 OT+ will ride but I bet its going to be smooth. I’ll update after our trip.

Can someone refresh my memory, do both the GX OT & OT+ come with EKDESS? (Electronic only to these two GX models.? Thanks, (I can't remember if both OT's were electronic or not?)
Yes both come with KDSS but this vibration issue is related to AVS.

I just took delivery of my GX 550 overtrail + last week. I love the truck but it is a bit rougher than the LUX+ was and to me drives like the newer jeep wranglers I have rented. Now to give you some back ground on my vehicles and suspension experience: I have a 996 911 TT with a track suspension setup so I know rough/stiff suspension. Previously, I had an 06’ LR3(air suspension) and drove it for 200K then a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro(Wescott suspension lift). Got rid of the 4 Runner because it didnt have enough cargo space for my kiting and foiling gear and that 5 speed transmission sucked. In my opinion and my wife's the Wescott suspension lift smoothed out the 4Runner. Next vehicle I decided to go big, GMC At4 Yukon XL(Air suspension). That Truck shut off twice on me before the engine blew up at 2,500 miles. The Engine was replaced then the truck shutoff on me again first time I drove it. GMC is buying it back. And now the GX550……..
Before I pulled the trigger on the Overtrail+, I test drove a Luxury+ which seemed very smooth. In my opinion my OT+ drives worse than the LUX+ but not as bad as some have said. I have noticed that when the rear wheels hit small bumps it make the whole vehicle shudder(normal or comfort). When I select sportS or SportS+ it would seem to stop the vehicle rattle on the bumps but you still feel the bump more than you think you would(kind of like my 911). My wife got in the GX550 pax seat the first time and said she felt a vibration, but I was not feeling any vibration. I started paying more attention and have noticed some vibration on back roads imperfectly paved however, drive a main road that is smoother or the highway and its driving completely different, smooth with no vibration, but I still feel some small bumps more than I would have in my 4Runner. Body roll while in normal or comfort is significant. Switch to either sport mode and i'm taking a fairly tight off ramp at 70mph with little body role and smooth ride. I actually couldnt believe how fast I was able to take that off ramp. Interestingly, driving in our rock based imperfect community parking lot and its buttery smooth with no vibration. Additionally, if you drive fast over large rounded speed bumps the suspension soaks it up and its buttery smooth again. I can only think this has to do with the AVS and the dampening not actuating when it should. We are about to take a fully loaded truck and roof top carrier road trip and I’m curious how the GX550 OT+ will ride but I bet its going to be smooth. I’ll update after our trip.
You’re the perfect candidate to help sort this out. Good luck on the road trip. Based on your comment and others it seems like the compression stroke is locking up intermittently. Mine arrives in Sept and if by chance I’m feeling harshness in the stroke those shocks are going in the garbage. Lexus AVS doesn’t seem to be on par with other adaptive systems such as PASM which is very effective in my Macan S.

Are you sure that it’s related to AVS?
Yes, Based on whats being reported here. Hard to know for certain though until someone with the issue is able to correctly diagnose and fix it. Being an “adaptive type shock” this issue could be upstream
Either in the “mapping/programing” also.

Yes, Based on whats being reported here. Hard to know for certain though until someone with the issue is able to correctly diagnose and fix it. Being an “adaptive type shock” this issue could be upstream
Either in the “mapping/programing” also
This makes sense but, no we are just guessing now.

This makes sense but, no we are just guessing now.
Well, I do have 25 yrs of suspension building experience and there’s only a few areas where “harshness & vibration” point. With tires & wheels / balancing being tried what’s left? Were you thinking A/C unit or ??

Well, I do have 25 yrs of suspension building experience and there’s only a few areas where “harshness & vibration” point. With tires & wheels / balancing being tried what’s left? Were you thinking A/C unit or ??
Well I have 57 years of living and have found that until something is proven you are guessing. I would agree you may well be right, but until someone has actually tried this and had this “fixed” we are guessing.

Well I have 57 years of living and have found that until something is proven you are guessing. I would agree you may well be right, but until someone has actually tried this and had this “fixed” we are guessing.
I would refer to this phase as “helping to trouble shoot” based on knowledge and experience over “guessing”. One of the benefits of forums.

Hello everyone! I got my OT+ roughly 2 weeks ago and after seeing this thread, I started noticing a vibration. I first would like to say that I blame you all for making me notice this in the first place so I hold this thread responsible lol.

My situation seems to be as follows:
  • Noticeable vibration between ~38 mph and ~50 mph
  • Based on my car maintenance and driving background, I feel the vibration in my butt and seat back which indicates rear issue
  • I took it into the dealer and my salesman, tech consultant, and tech supervisor all noticed the same vibration in the speeds I mentioned.
  • They checked the balance of the wheels and found nothing wrong.
  • They want to wait and see another OT+ come in and test drive it to compare before doing anything further.

Based on where I feel the vibration, it feels like the source is the rear end of the vehicle. Also, because it's in a range of speeds, this leads me to believe it's more tire/wheel than suspension but I'll admit that's just a guess.

I'd love to try out a different set of wheels or tires to see if maybe the oscilation of the wheel/tire combo just isn't right for the wheelbase of the vehicle. I had a similar situation in a past owned F350 long bed where certain road pavings in Colorado made the truck REALLY vibrate. I have a few freshly paved areas near me where I test so as to alleviate the notion that I'm just "feeling the road". My vehicle came with the Toyo's FYI.

I will continue to try different drive mode settings to see if it helps but so far I haven't found one. I'll post any updates I get but I really want this sorted soon because I'm moving in the next few months to somewhere I have to ship my vehicle to so I'll be without it for about a month and away from my dealer where this is documented. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Hello everyone! I got my OT+ roughly 2 weeks ago and after seeing this thread, I started noticing a vibration. I first would like to say that I blame you all for making me notice this in the first place so I hold this thread responsible lol.

• Based on my car maintenance and driving background, I feel the vibration in my butt and seat back which indicates rear issue
  • I took it into the dealer and my salesman, tech consultant, and tech supervisor all noticed the same vibration in the speeds I mentioned.
  • They want to wait and see another OT+ come in and test drive it to compare before doing anything further.

Based on where I feel the vibration, it feels like the source is the rear end of the vehicle. Also, because it's in a range of speeds, this leads me to believe it's more tire/wheel than suspension but I'll admit that's just a guess.

I'd love to try out a different set of wheels or tires to see if maybe the oscilation of the wheel/tire combo just isn't right for the wheelbase of the vehicle. I had a similar situation in a past owned F350 long bed where certain road pavings in Colorado made the truck REALLY vibrate. I have a few freshly paved areas near me where I test so as to alleviate the notion that I'm just "feeling the road". My vehicle came with the Toyo's FYI.

I will continue to try different drive mode settings to see if it helps but so far I haven't found one. I'll post any updates I get but I really want this sorted soon because I'm moving in the next few months to somewhere I have to ship my vehicle to so I'll be without it for about a month and away from my dealer where this is documented. I'd love to hear thoughts.
This one might be an out of ballance tire. I have had trucks do that in the past and that was the culpret.

Sorry you’re struggling with the issue. I think you’re on the right track with tire/wheel first then moving onto the next thing.

We heard back from the service manager today. There is anther OT with the same issues we’ve experienced. Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology. There are 4 parts that work with the rotors and brakes/independent suspension that are faulty. They use the same 4 parts in the other 550’s, but the OT is the only model affected. Engineering has manufactured these 4 pieces in Japan, and were hoping to have them legally approved and shipped by today. They are saying now it will be next week. The fix will be replacing the rotors, brakes and the newly manufactured 4 parts.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back