GX550 Overtrail Vibration

There was no mention of the tires being rotated on the order, or when we spoke to the service manager. We specifically asked before leaving if the vibration/flutter was still present, and he assured us it was no longer an issue. We were skeptical, and I was hesitant to respond to this thread till I had more miles logged. Just getting home from Nola, and at 80-85 no vibration or hood flutter. It’s an early Christmas Miracle

There was no mention of the tires being rotated on the order, or when we spoke to the service manager. We specifically asked before leaving if the vibration/flutter was still present, and he assured us it was no longer an issue. We were skeptical, and I was hesitant to respond to this thread till I had more miles logged. Just getting home from Nola, and at 80-85 no vibration or hood flutter. It’s an early Christmas Miracle
Did they give you any idea why / how replacing brake parts fixed the vibration? I'm struggling to see the connection.

I completely understand..I wish I could be of more help. When we asked about the vibration/hood issues we were assured that the 4 new parts they just issued/released from legal in Japan would fix the suspension. You could try calling Lexus and giving them our case number, which is on the ticket I posted…

Drove my OT nearly 200 miles today, mostly highway. My only minor complaint would be wind noise caused by the roof rack. Really can't expect it to be quiet and we like the look of it, though it will likely NEVER see a tint on it. Otherwise, I am super happy with the ride.

I completely understand..I wish I could be of more help. When we asked about the vibration/hood issues we were assured that the 4 new parts they just issued/released from legal in Japan would fix the suspension. You could try calling Lexus and giving them our case number, which is on the ticket I posted…
This is indeed interesting...I wonder if they are "quietly" fixing it for now until they officially admit it's an issue and put out a TSB? Would that be possible? Maybe that is a stupid question I dunno...

I wouldn't think there would be any gains for Lexus for doing it that way, but who knows. Lets see if this is done to any of the other vehicles and it fixes them before we jump to conclusions.

I doubt we could get the info, but @sroberts could definitely call the service tech and ask for the detail of the additional 4 parts. Would just have to say you want that info for your records or something. I don't think they'd be keeping it a secret. My advisor said he has access to a global database of all known issues.

I doubt we could get the info, but @sroberts could definitely call the service tech and ask for the detail of the additional 4 parts. Would just have to say you want that info for your records or something. I don't think they'd be keeping it a secret. My advisor said he has access to a global database of all known issues.
They replaced the shims..they weren’t sufficient enough to support the brake calipers. That fixed the vibration issues.

The invoice noted that the mechanic noticed the hood vibrating with the wind, but also stated: No adjustment to try and secure hood that can help issue. Would really like to know what the fix is for the hood vibration and if it went away for Sroberts?

The invoice noted that the mechanic noticed the hood vibrating with the wind, but also stated: No adjustment to try and secure hood that can help issue. Would really like to know what the fix is for the hood vibration and if it went away for Sroberts?
The hood vibration is gone. The vibrations felt throughout the car are gone. The brakes no longer squeal. All of those issues were because of the shims-the ones they had to wait for legal to clear and shipped a couple of weeks ago from Japan. I’m relaying what I was told today verbally by the head of the service department. I know this is vague, and it wasn’t on the ticket. Maybe there’s a reason for that..I’m not sure. I do think time will tell. I can say my car is fixed, and I’m happy!

Still struggling with the idea a brake pad shim would be the cause of this vibration. Shims are not in contact with a rotating assy. until the brakes are applied. Under normal non braking conditions they would NOT seemingly be imparting any vibrations assuming the caliper pistons are retracting and operating normally. Either way it's great to here "sroberts" problem as been resolved.

Still struggling with the idea a brake pad shim would be the cause of this vibration. Shims are not in contact with a rotating assy. until the brakes are applied. Under normal non braking conditions they would NOT seemingly be imparting any vibrations assuming the caliper pistons are retracting and operating normally. Either way it's great to here "sroberts" problem as been resolved.
My understanding is the calipers were not operating normally. Our service manager would not let up when contacting the Lexus rep. A Lexus engineer was brought in, and my car was case 1 for our dealership.

My understanding is the calipers were not operating normally. Our service manager would not let up when contacting the Lexus rep. A Lexus engineer was brought in, and my car was case 1 for our dealership.
Wow, Way to pull through! That would make more sense if the caliper itself was the issue and more specifically the piston not retracting. It’s a great bit of info for the rest of us to benefit from. Appreciate your efforts…

Wow, Way to pull through! That would make more sense if the caliper itself was the issue and more specifically the piston not retracting. It’s a great bit of info for the rest of us to benefit from. Appreciate your efforts…

Do you think this also explains a shudder-like or warped-rotor brake behavior when getting to a complete stop?

I have the same vibration issue from day 1 but also have been having this shudder issue too.

Do you think this also explains a shudder-like or warped-rotor brake behavior when getting to a complete stop?

I have the same vibration issue from day 1 but also have been having this shudder issue too.
Yes I do. Shudder feeling is even more akin to a rotor issue than this vibration thing. Hopefully you can show your dealer the work order with part #s and get yours dealt with.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back