GX550 purchase cancelled

Critmonkey

Jan 24, 2024
Media
California
For what it’s worth, I’ve been having multiple dealers who have since been selling at markup now contact me trying to sell at MSRP, with many GX in stock.

This is interesting because only a couple weeks ago they were acting stingy and very conservative about their allocations.

I’m not sure what the change is, perhaps the hype dwindling down for various reasons.

Unfortunately I decided that purchasing a GX550 at this time would not be the wisest choice for me. Between the first year model risk, QC issues, no reliability trac to reference, and the otd price delta of around 20k or so versus a new 23 GX460, it will be in my favor to pick up a last year model for a discount.

I found a 23 Blackline in Nori Green with 15k miles and about 15k in mods for 60k. I’ll be paying cash so I’ll be saving around 35k getting this over an OT + with the accessories I wanted, which would roughly be 95k otd.

It feels somewhat bittersweet as I was very excited for the GX550. It is truly a superior vehicle than the outgoing one in my opinion. Put a smile on my face driving it. Felt so refined and luxurious, regardless of what the 460 purists might say.

In summary I will drive the 460 in the meantime and will have the GX550 to look forward to in the future. Probably get one down the line when production comes to an end. I’m hoping and feeling positive that pricing and reliability will be sorted in the future along with refreshes and whatnot will be a better buy in the future.

I’ll still follow along on this forum and enjoy the mods and work that will go into this new generation. I will truly be privileged to learn from the trailblazers that will dive into this platform for the rest of us who are waiting on the sidelines. I just feel waiting is the right thing to do.

Thanks and good luck.

Very sorry to hear but you have to make whatever choice is best for you. I personally don't like the looks of the GX 460 so that was never an option for me. I love the looks of the GX 550 though and that's a big part for me. I do think prices are coming down and I'm happy about that. I'm still waiting to purchase mine as well --- either way, whatever you get I hope you are super happy with it and glad you are going to stick around. Perhaps a discounted used one is in your future!

Very sorry to hear but you have to make whatever choice is best for you. I personally don't like the looks of the GX 460 so that was never an option for me. I love the looks of the GX 550 though and that's a big part for me. I do think prices are coming down and I'm happy about that. I'm still waiting to purchase mine as well --- either way, whatever you get I hope you are super happy with it and glad you are going to stick around. Perhaps a discounted used one is in your future!
Regarding buying used; I purchased my 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance for 82k otd. Two weeks later Elon graciously decided to reduce the price of a new Model Y 20k, plus another 7500 in government rebates. You could say I got extremely fucked over lol.

Fast forward two years later with market adjustments and Tesla value in the space, my vehicle is only worth 29k if I were to sell it.

This left me with a sour taste in buying new. I would prefer to not be hit with the depreciation and have someone else take the hit.

I suppose I learned this the hard way.

I know GX depreciation is about 6% and not over 50% like EVs are, but the principle remains the same.

Just some food for thought.

Not detracting from those who want the 550 now and don’t care and have the money for it, I am one of those people. But damn, looking back at it if I waited just a little longer for the price I paid for one I could have had two teslas lol.

Regarding buying used; I purchased my 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance for 82k otd. Two weeks later Elon graciously decided to reduce the price of a new Model Y 20k, plus another 7500 in government rebates. You could say I got extremely fucked over lol.

Fast forward two years later with market adjustments and Tesla value in the space, my vehicle is only worth 29k if I were to sell it.

This left me with a sour taste in buying new. I would prefer to not be hit with the depreciation and have someone else take the hit.

I suppose I learned this the hard way.

I know GX depreciation is about 6% and not over 50% like EVs are, but the principle remains the same.

Just some food for thought.

Not detracting from those who want the 550 now and don’t care and have the money for it, I am one of those people. But damn, looking back at it if I waited just a little longer for the price I paid for one I could have had two teslas lol.
Yah, I've heard horror stories from Tesla owners. Add the fact that EV's ALL tanked with resale value and you have a real mess. I have yet to purchase a hybrid, let alone a full EV... Don't blame you for being jaded!

I don't drive resale value I drive the car

I have a 2021 Plaid and it's the fastest car I've driven

9 second car

For what it’s worth, I’ve been having multiple dealers who have since been selling at markup now contact me trying to sell at MSRP, with many GX in stock.

This is interesting because only a couple weeks ago they were acting stingy and very conservative about their allocations.

I’m not sure what the change is, perhaps the hype dwindling down for various reasons.

Unfortunately I decided that purchasing a GX550 at this time would not be the wisest choice for me. Between the first year model risk, QC issues, no reliability trac to reference, and the otd price delta of around 20k or so versus a new 23 GX460, it will be in my favor to pick up a last year model for a discount.

I found a 23 Blackline in Nori Green with 15k miles and about 15k in mods for 60k. I’ll be paying cash so I’ll be saving around 35k getting this over an OT + with the accessories I wanted, which would roughly be 95k otd.

It feels somewhat bittersweet as I was very excited for the GX550. It is truly a superior vehicle than the outgoing one in my opinion. Put a smile on my face driving it. Felt so refined and luxurious, regardless of what the 460 purists might say.

In summary I will drive the 460 in the meantime and will have the GX550 to look forward to in the future. Probably get one down the line when production comes to an end. I’m hoping and feeling positive that pricing and reliability will be sorted in the future along with refreshes and whatnot will be a better buy in the future.

I’ll still follow along on this forum and enjoy the mods and work that will go into this new generation. I will truly be privileged to learn from the trailblazers that will dive into this platform for the rest of us who are waiting on the sidelines. I just feel waiting is the right thing to do.

Thanks and good luck.
Understood great luck going forward for me have to ride the tsunami to the end because my mods are sitting at the dealer waiting for my car to arrive on a 56 day hold

FYI for any prospected buyers in the state of Florida, I live in Orlando Florida but travel to Jacksonville Florida and purchase my gx550 from Lexus of Orange Park in Jacksonville which is about 3 and 1/2 hours from where I live. It's one of the few dealerships in Florida selling at MSRP. If you're out of state they can arrange shipping as well. I purchased a premium gx550 for my wife out the door a little under 68k. Ask for Cherry Moore, super sweet and very transparent sales rep. No gimmicks and no hidden fees. Best of luck!

Thanks and good luck.
Found green one on CarGurus or similar site?

Thanks and good luck.
Probably a good sound choice, I too removed my name from a waiting list a couple of months ago mainly because of the big engine recall but there are many other little things that add up. example, small fuel tank, hood wobble at highway speeds, non lexus like materials in the interior, lack of interior storage space, etc. etc. after all it is the first year for the new model so I'm lexus will improve these little things in upcoming models. I'm currently waiting to see what the refresh looks like on the Infiniti QX60 and maybe the Nissan Armada. I think there's more bang for the buck and there close enough to what I was looking for and their power trains have been well proven. Well except the 2025 Armada has those damn turbos so well see.

I would definitely stay away from Nissan or Infiniti. Car salesman told me that on Saturday and his wife has an Infiniti QX80.
Thanks, I'll do my research, but any info from a car salesperson I would take with a grain of salt unless he was selling Nissan's or Infiniti's. I have my homework to complete, there are sites out there that have a lot of (NON) byis info.. But thanks for the warning for which I will pay extra attention on those models..

Thanks and good luck.
I believe the V6 issues are making buyers nervous. We'll see.

Thanks, I'll do my research, but any info from a car salesperson I would take with a grain of salt unless he was selling Nissan's or Infiniti's. I have my homework to complete, there are sites out there that have a lot of (NON) byis info.. But thanks for the warning for which I will pay extra attention on those models..
The salesman is a used car salesman at a GMC dealership. So, he really doesn't have a dog in the fight. As I stated, his wife has an Infiniti QX80 and his recommendation to me was do not buy an Infiniti. He said the QX80 is like a land yacht with floaty ride. As you probably know, the QX80 is basically a rebadged Nissan armada. Good luck

Understood great luck going forward for me have to ride the tsunami to the end because my mods are sitting at the dealer waiting for my car to arrive on a 56 day hold
Now that I have gotten my incognito over trail plus in my opinion those who are deciding to wait I think you should rethink it,my only frustration was the way Toyota/Lexus handled the hold with little to no updates they have done a very good job on the GX those who have gotten them I believe they will back me up on this good luck to all see you on the road

Blackline purchase fell through. Ended up getting a 2023 premium cpo with 1300 miles for 54k! I’m so happy with it. Whenever the GX550 is in its last year I’ll probably do the same and keep both. Thanks all.
859CED49-3AD5-4137-A72B-E8C5C949D1BC.jpeg

Now that I have gotten my incognito over trail plus in my opinion those who are deciding to wait I think you should rethink it,my only frustration was the way Toyota/Lexus handled the hold with little to no updates they have done a very good job on the GX those who have gotten them I believe they will back me up on this good luck to all see you on the road
So you are saying do NOT get GX 550? CPO prices in Texas are sky high.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)