GX550 Real World MPG

Here are my last 6 fill ups that show MPG calculation to give you an idea running on 93 octane fuel with a broad mix of highway, city and rural driving. Also, some very mild driving and some spinning up the turbos a little bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_130858~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_130858~2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 279
Here are my last 6 fill ups that show MPG calculation to give you an idea running on 93 octane fuel with a broad mix of highway, city and rural driving. Also, some very mild driving and some spinning up the turbos a little bit.
Oof… 6 trips to gas station in 21 days…. The car i’m coming off of was 4 maybe 5 times in 30 days, and thats putting 20k miles a year on it…. This is gonna be a lot of stops to get gas

For any owners that have the GX 550 in their possession, at what RPM range do your turbos kick in?

Also people talk about the bad gas mileage of the 550, but has anyone tested econ mode vs normal vs sport vs sport + or some other custom variant?

Some of you have never owned a lifted JKU (Jeep Wrangler 4-door) or Power Wagon and it shows... :ROFLMAO:

Just picking, but considering I filled up the JKU yesterday with ~17 gallons and only had driven 198 miles, we'll be living high on the hog with the 16-18 mpg in the GX. Don't even get me started on the Power Wagon with 4:10 gears and 35's that we drive 1400 miles one way back home to Pittsburgh. Not complaining at all as I drive both these vehicles with a smile on my face (even during fuel stops) as they are vehicles capable of doing exactly what we enjoy doing (going anywhere we want at any time).

We are moving to the GX from a Hemi powered Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit that would see basically the exact same mpg as the GX reports are showing with the same size tank. Somehow we loved that vehicle and never once had issue with tank size or mpg in the 11 years we drove it both as a daily driver and on trips.

Everyone has thier own reasons for buying a GX, as it should be. Ours has never been for mpg, but rather having a vehicle sized perfectly between our Jeep GC, and a Tahoe which is FULLY capable to "go anywhere we want, at any time" but yet still classy. To us its perfect. Hopefully we're posting our our real word mpg in a week or two.

Some of you have never owned a lifted JKU (Jeep Wrangler 4-door) or Power Wagon and it shows... :ROFLMAO:

Just picking, but considering I filled up the JKU yesterday with ~17 gallons and only had driven 198 miles, we'll be living high on the hog with the 16-18 mpg in the GX. Don't even get me started on the Power Wagon with 4:10 gears and 35's that we drive 1400 miles one way back home to Pittsburgh. Not complaining at all as I drive both these vehicles with a smile on my face (even during fuel stops) as they are vehicles capable of doing exactly what we enjoy doing (going anywhere we want at any time).

We are moving to the GX from a Hemi powered Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit that would see basically the exact same mpg as the GX reports are showing with the same size tank. Somehow we loved that vehicle and never once had issue with tank size or mpg in the 11 years we drove it both as a daily driver and on trips.

Everyone has thier own reasons for buying a GX, as it should be. Ours has never been for mpg, but rather having a vehicle sized perfectly between our Jeep GC, and a Tahoe which is FULLY capable to "go anywhere we want, at any time" but yet still classy. To us its perfect. Hopefully we're posting our our real word mpg in a week or two.
Our hills in Pittsburgh are why you’ll be seeing 13.5-15 mpg. The GX crushes fuel up hill and you just can’t coast enough downhill in these parts to offset it.

That's not too bad on a barely broken in motor, SethGX.

The rest of you youngsters griping about mpgs are cracking me up. I know you're young 'cause after 50, you're stopping for bathroom breaks WAY before the tank needs refilled on a road trip, so you're always topping off the tank when you stop for bladder relief.

That's not too bad on a barely broken in motor, SethGX.

The rest of you youngsters griping about mpgs are cracking me up. I know you're young 'cause after 50, you're stopping for bathroom breaks WAY before the tank needs refilled on a road trip, so you're always topping off the tank when you stop for bladder relief.
I thought you were going to say "I know you're young because back in the 70s we had cars that averaged upper single digit MPG to mid-teen MPG". I remember those days. And I'm not complaining about the new GX's economy or range. 😁

I'm not quite that old, I was still just a passenger through most of the 70s. 🤣
Oh, me too. But I was old enough to help pump gas for my parents at the few stations that didn't have an attendant who pumped your gas. And let's not forget sitting in line at the gas stations in '73 (I was not old enough to pump gas in '73, but I do remember it).

Last edited:
Oof… 6 trips to gas station in 21 days…. The car i’m coming off of was 4 maybe 5 times in 30 days, and thats putting 20k miles a year on it…. This is gonna be a lot of stops to get gas
Well, in fairness, I wasn't waiting until it was empty to fill it up, I was filling up when it was convenient to stop at Costco even if it was still at half. This time I'm actually trying to get to a nearly empty tank before I fill it up.

Anyone played around with the different driving modes and MPG? Obviously sport/sport+ should be the worst, but I’ve been driving around in comfort and it’s been smooth as butter and found MPGs to be a tad better than normal. Still breaking it in though

Anyone played around with the different driving modes and MPG? Obviously sport/sport+ should be the worst, but I’ve been driving around in comfort and it’s been smooth as butter and found MPGs to be a tad better than normal. Still breaking it in though
I mainly drive in comfort or eco noticed mpg about the same. Just finished a trip to Oregon from Washington state, 400 miles round trip. Avg 19-20 mpg avg speed 65-75 mph. High mpg was 20.7. I have 1300 miles on my GX.

I mainly drive in comfort or eco noticed mpg about the same. Just finished a trip to Oregon from Washington state, 400 miles round trip. Avg 19-20 mpg avg speed 65-75 mph. High mpg was 20.7. I have 1300 miles on my GX.
This is more inline with what I expected if your softpedaling it. Glad to see 20 is attainable...

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)