GX550 Real World MPG

Right after delivery I went on a 400 mile road trip and averaged 19 mpg. Since then with a mix of city / hwy driving I'm getting about 17.6.

Reactions: JPE
Anyone played around with the different driving modes and MPG? Obviously sport/sport+ should be the worst, but I’ve been driving around in comfort and it’s been smooth as butter and found MPGs to be a tad better than normal. Still breaking it in though
I have 1,100 miles on my OT and been running almost exclusively in Eco mode, using 93 octane. About 50% on highway and rest in suburbia.
All miles to date in Iowa (rolling prairie, mild hills), and I’m not a small pedal abuser. Average to date mpg for suburban driving is 17.8, and 20.3 for highway.

Heading to Ouray/Silverton/Telluride at end of this month for some off-roading, will see how it handles the mountains.

Didn’t buy the OT for on-pavement prowess, but been very pleased with its mpg (which surprisingly is substantial improvement over my 2016 Land Cruiser). Hoping an aftermarket fuel tank available soon.

I have 1,100 miles on my OT and been running almost exclusively in Eco mode, using 93 octane. About 50% on highway and rest in suburbia.
All miles to date in Iowa (rolling prairie, mild hills), and I’m not a small pedal abuser. Average to date mpg for suburban driving is 17.8, and 20.3 for highway.

Heading to Ouray/Silverton/Telluride at end of this month for some off-roading, will see how it handles the mountains.

Didn’t buy the OT for on-pavement prowess, but been very pleased with its mpg (which surprisingly is substantial improvement over my 2016 Land Cruiser). Hoping an aftermarket fuel tank available soon.
We'll be out in Creede and doing the Alpine Loop end of August. Hopefully in our OT (still at port since 4/30) but if not here in time in the Power Wagon. Enjoy and thanks for sharing the real life mpg

I'm on a temp lease with an RX and hopefully receiving my GX next week. I have not paid much attention to milage on my 2024 Turbo 4 RX but last night noticed that I'm averaging 13 mpg. I was in a BMW X5 so I'm used to driving hard but my God, my X5 averaged 18 mpg driven like a bat out of hell. So now... wondering what my GX will yield when driven hard. Could sub 10 mpg be in my future with a range of under 220 miles? Thank God there are gas stations within a mile of any location you're driving to outside of mountains and deserts!

On my first tank and pleasantly surprised, after what I've seen others get above, to be at 16.9 with mixed driving. A very light foot of course while it breaks in, but light is relative when you're coming from a Tacoma...

Edit - I should have mentioned that the Taco got ~15-16 driving the same area, so I've actually seen an increase in MPG and a significant increase in power.

Just broke 1k miles in my ot+ I changed oil at 500 and 19.3 mpg with a very light foot in normal mode. Mostly city, maybe 300 hwy. Just now starting to put pedal down and am impressed with pickup. Wife has a 23 gx and we get almost the same mpg.

I had an interesting observation yesterday. I filled up and headed out for a 1 hour drive. During the first 15 minutes I was traveling about 80 and the computer showed my average MPG kept increasing up to about 20.5. I changed to a different highway with virtually no traffic, flat and straight, but lower speed limit, so I set the adaptive cruise at 72. After about 20 minutes I realized the computer now showed my mileage averaging only 20.1 mpg. I was wondering if it was the lower speed or cruise, so I took it off cruise, and while driving normally over the next 20 minutes my average climbed back up to 20.7. It's just a single, nonscientific observation, but it seems the adaptive cruise may throttle adjust more than my foot, resulting in a slight decrease in mileage. I just thought I would share in case others see anything similar.

average for the first 320 miles 13.5 mpg. About 1/3 highway with a lot of hills and stops. I just did a reset on the MPG. Will let you know how it goes from here.

Drove to 300 miles on first tank from dealer. Gauge cluster showed 27 miles left to go. Filled up to click and it put 16.56 gallons in my tank. That divides out to 18.52 mpg, but the cluster says my mpg is 16.8 mpg (clearly not right).

Since nozzle clicked at 16.56, that means i had 4.54 gallons left in the tank. At 18.52 mpg times 21.1, then theoretically could have run 390 miles before completely running out gas

Drove to 300 miles on first tank from dealer. Gauge cluster showed 27 miles left to go. Filled up to click and it put 16.56 gallons in my tank. That divides out to 18.52 mpg, but the cluster says my mpg is 16.8 mpg (clearly not right).

Since nozzle clicked at 16.56, that means i had 4.54 gallons left in the tank. At 18.52 mpg times 21.1, then theoretically could have run 390 miles before completely running out gas
Just so you know, it's likely (although I am admittedly not sure) that the in-tank fuel pump uses the gasoline for lubrication. Assuming that's true, you don't want to regularly run your tank down past E because the fuel pump could eventually get damaged. Every once in a while, especially if you want to test and figure out just how much range you really have, won't be a problem, just don't make a habit of it.

What is the typical MPG with a light trailer of less than 2,000 pounds? I would be interested in road experience with a light foot.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)