Gx550 with paint issues… solutions?

Sunshine3

May 20, 2024
Media
Utah
I have a new GX550 in immanent pearl with some minor paint issues on the hood. They have tried to buff it out and dry sand with no luck. They are following up with Lexus for next steps.

Has anyone else had this issue (known issues with paint protective layer from production- may be one of the reasons for the 30 day stop sale)? And what are they doing for you?

If they have to repaint my hood does that devalue my car?

I have a new GX550 in immanent pearl with some minor paint issues on the hood. They have tried to buff it out and dry sand with no luck. They are following up with Lexus for next steps.

Has anyone else had this issue (known issues with paint protective layer from production- may be one of the reasons for the 30 day stop sale)? And what are they doing for you?

If they have to repaint my hood does that devalue my car?
How long have you had it, probably it shouldn’t effect it, it wouldn’t be your fault it’s not a carfax issue if you have a reputable dealer whenever you trade probably no worries good luck

How long have you had it, probably it shouldn’t effect it, it wouldn’t be your fault it’s not a carfax issue if you have a reputable dealer whenever you trade probably no worries good luck
I got it less than a month ago. Reported the problem a few days later.

I just checked my hood after seeing this thread and haven't been able to spot any issues. Same color as you. Do you happen to have any pictures to show what you are talking about or specific location on the hood one might check?

I just checked my hood after seeing this thread and haven't been able to spot any issues. Same color as you. Do you happen to have any pictures to show what you are talking about or specific location on the hood one might check?
This is a photo of what someone else posted in another thread

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 196
I asked the dealer not to buff it out because I didn’t want to thin out the clear coat. Just got 2 free oil changes. Didn’t feel like wasting time negotiating more. I can only see it at some light conditions
IMG_3071.jpeg

This is a photo of what someone else posted in another thread
Yes, this is my picture from an earlier post. I only noticed it when someone said where to look and sure enough there was a line. Towards to front of the hood about a foot up.

I asked the dealer not to buff it out because I didn’t want to thin out the clear coat. Just got 2 free oil changes. Didn’t feel like wasting time negotiating more. I can only see it at some light conditions
View attachment 1422
You may be able to use some rubbing compound to take a good amount of that scuffing out of the paint. Up close you can really see how much orange peel is in a factory paint finish.

Just got mine back from the dealer after fixing that issue. My color is caviar so it was noticeable. Not sure what they did, wet sand buff and reapply protectant I think, but looks great now.

Paint issue?????

I’m waiting for my OT+ thats on the QC hold at the port of Jax. Today i got a message from my dealer they have a Premium Caviar that came in and is available. I decided to consider it and take a look. It was nice but I really don’t want black and the premium is missing a few things that I really want. I decided to take a hard look at the paint and look for any other defects. Sure enough on the passenger side of the hood and part of the passenger side front fender at the seam running front to back there was damage about 3’ to 4’ long. It was subtle but once you saw it and looked close you could easily see how long it was. I can’t believe this wouldn’t have been caught in QC check if this was the issue they are looking for. Anyone taking delivery check that paint close.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back