HAM/FRS/GMRS/CB Radio Install

Anyone out there installing a Radio?

Have a Baofeng UV-50X2 that I'd like to install in my GX. Debating where to mount the unit, mic, and antenna. Hard wire or just use the available 12v port?

KC3ARJ
I would be tempted to get a 2 piece unit like a Kenwood TM-D710As and mount the base under the drivers seat and mount the head unit on the console. Hardwire the base. Mag mount the antenna or use a Diamond clip mount to the rear hatch. Use a quality 2m/440 antenna like the Diamond or similar. But my GX is still on order so that is only a suggestion!

Dave K6DMH

Temp setup using a Lido cupholder mount and magnet antenna.
IMG_9671.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG

Will do a permanent antenna mount once someone develops a solution or I invest the time in making one. I like the idea of using the rear most front passenger fender bolt and a bracket like Gamiviti.
Front Passanger Mount Idea.JPG

What about the warning in the manuals that you should not install any kind of 2 way radio as it may interfere with the cars operation? They sound pretty serious about it but I can't believe that you cant' do such a thing.

I would be tempted to get a 2 piece unit like a Kenwood TM-D710As and mount the base under the drivers seat and mount the head unit on the console. Hardwire the base. Mag mount the antenna or use a Diamond clip mount to the rear hatch. Use a quality 2m/440 antenna like the Diamond or similar. But my GX is still on order so that is only a suggestion!

Dave K6DMH
Looking at doing somethin similar with a remote head, unfortunately mounting location seems to be a bit tight with either under the drivers seat or rear compartment in the boot. Have you had much luck installing underneath the driver's seat?

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)