GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Update on mine.

But first: To the people saying “you just don’t know what an off road vehicle rides like” you don’t understand what this vehicle is doing. I’ve owned 35+ vehicles. Sedans, jeeps, broncos, trucks, etc. I’ve been working on cars since I could talk. Something is wrong with this vehicle.

To summarize, I’m on my 2nd set of tires. 5th visit. Vehicle was at the dealer this week Tuesday - today (Friday).

Tech and I went for a ride, he said yep (again) it has a vibration. Back to dealer, we swapped out the demo’s wheels and tires (a premium+) and went for another ride. Vibration and bouncy-ness still there.

Brake squeal still there.

Per an earlier post, all brakes are being changed on all of these, but has not been announced yet. Dealer said I’m “on the list” but it’s most likely going to be months before the parts are in.

If this is actually the case (my dealer wouldn’t / couldn’t confirm to me) that the entire brake assemblies are being replaced, this tells me they are faulty. (I feel they are avoiding /delaying an official recall for as long as possible. It’s embarrassing to the auto manufacturers to have recalls this early.) If this is TRULY THE CASE - they are not going to replace entire brake assemblies because of SQUEAKING BRAKES. This tells me the brakes are grabbing / dragging.

This also would explain the “bumpiness” at slower speeds. If you’re pressing the gas and the brakes at the same time everything is going to be more pronounced.

So I say all of this to say…. “I don’t know.” Intuition and reasoning both tell me that this is a brake issue but could also be a KDSS / suspension issue.

I’m tired. And I’m not sure what I should do from here.

I think might also be a little hungry.

Update on mine.

But first: To the people saying “you just don’t know what an off road vehicle rides like” you don’t understand what this vehicle is doing. I’ve owned 35+ vehicles. Sedans, jeeps, broncos, trucks, etc. I’ve been working on cars since I could talk. Something is wrong with this vehicle.

To summarize, I’m on my 2nd set of tires. 5th visit. Vehicle was at the dealer this week Tuesday - today (Friday).

Tech and I went for a ride, he said yep (again) it has a vibration. Back to dealer, we swapped out the demo’s wheels and tires (a premium+) and went for another ride. Vibration and bouncy-ness still there.

Per an earlier post, all brakes are being changed on all of these, but has not been announced yet. Dealer said I’m “on the list” but it’s most likely going to be months before the parts are in.

If this is actually the case (my dealer wouldn’t / couldn’t confirm to me) that the entire brake assemblies are being replaced, this tells me they are faulty. (I feel they are avoiding /delaying an official recall for as long as possible. It’s embarrassing to the auto manufacturers to have recalls this early.) If this is TRULY THE CASE - they are not going to replace entire brake assemblies because of SQUEAKING BRAKES. This tells me the brakes are grabbing / dragging.

This also would explain the “bumpiness” at slower speeds. If you’re pressing the gas and the brakes at the same time everything is going to be more pronounced.

So I say all of this to say…. “I don’t know.” Intuition and reasoning both tell me that this is a brake issue but could also be a KDSS / suspension issue.

I tend to agree with you on potential causes.

I am also coming from a 21 Bronco and 12 4Runner on more aggressive AT tires than these special OEM Toyos. Mine is very smooth most of the time but intermittently feels like I am driving on a washboard road when on newly paved roads or a regular neighborhood road with minor imperfections.

I am glad for you if your GX isn’t experiencing this, but that doesn’t mean those of us who are, are making it up. And your GX will be worth more if Lexus ultimately stands behind the vehicle and takes care of all the new model issues.

Some people aren’t, some people are. If the earlier brake post was accurate and it is the brakes it may well be intermittent which of course makes it much harder to diagnose. Not sure why just the over-trails, maybe the kdss system is just a bit different causing problems. Guess we will find out before too long.

Update on mine.

Excellent info here! This is sounding more like sticking caliper pistons. If either the bore or piston are faulty and not retracting could cause chatter which could easily be felt in the cabin as vibration. This makes more sense and falls inline with what we already know fixed “sroberts” vibration. All you “vibrators” need to press on this with your dealers. Share this thread with your tech…

Vib. In the rear vs front falls inline with one or both rear caliper pistons not retracting but fronts working normal. Intermittent vib. falls inline with pistons occasionally sticking but sometimes getting out of the way just enough to have no contact. Liking this the more I think about it. Couple more people getting the full meal deal brake replacement will help…

What? How many people left-foot brake? How often do you / they press the throttle and the brakes at the same time? I have no idea what you're claiming here.

I tend to agree with you on potential causes.

I am also coming from a 21 Bronco and 12 4Runner on more aggressive AT tires than these special OEM Toyos. Mine is very smooth most of the time but intermittently feels like I am driving on a washboard road when on newly paved roads or a regular neighborhood road with minor imperfections.

I am glad for you if your GX isn’t experiencing this, but that doesn’t mean those of us who are, are making it up. And your GX will be worth more if Lexus ultimately stands behind the vehicle and takes care of all the new model issues.
That’s a good description - washboard road feeling.

I’m going to email the dealer and see if I can get an actual timeframe for the brake parts. A month or less I’m fine, but more than that I’m going to plan B.

I picked up my OT last week, it was delayed at port for about a week, wondering if they’ve been quietly doing port fixes on brakes? No issues on mine unless I’m actually on gravel washboard road…

Are people with the vibration also seeing really bad gas milage? I would think if the brakes are engaging then milage would suffer.

Excellent info here! This is sounding more like sticking caliper pistons. If either the bore or piston are faulty and not retracting could cause chatter which could easily be felt in the cabin as vibration. This makes more sense and falls inline with what we already know fixed “sroberts” vibration. All you “vibrators” need to press on this with your dealers. Share this thread with your tech

Are people with the vibration also seeing really bad gas milage? I would think if the brakes are engaging then milage would suffer.
Yes. I’m at like 13.2mpg but all city

Couple more things to look out for. Visual check your rotors by jacking up each wheel independently. Not sure if the gx can be turned off in neutral but if yes do so and spin each wheel to check for caliper piston drag against the rotor. This will be very audible. Sticking caliper will take out (warp) a rotor in no time If it gets hot enough. Most definitely will affect MPG.

Watching this thread closely. New OT+ member. So far, things seem mostly smooth. I occasionally have some very subtle minor vibration in the seat, but overall it feels pretty solid. I do not notice hood flutter, but I have less than 200 miles so far.

Update: just drove around town with the center diff locked in all different drive modes and it seemed better IMO
I have not crawled underneath yet. Does the drive shaft have zerks? I had a vibration in my Tacoma that came down to just adding grease to the drive shaft zerks. Concerned because I've heard stories that they are removing the zerks on Tacomas (again, haven't looked on the GX yet).

Drove 200 miles or so yesterday highway. Cruise set on 80 with just a little traffic. If I wasn’t hyper sensitive to things from this board I never would have noticed it and just figured it was the road, which I guess it still may have been, but 2 or 3 times I did notice a slight washboard like feeling in my seat. It would last 10-15 seconds then be gone. Got 18.5. Mpg averaging 78 or so I guess. I also did hear a brief break squeal backing out of the garage once but just once.

200 miles and slight washboard—I don’t think any high end luxury cars or magic carpet could top that. Seriously, I think a lot of this comes down to perception, expectations and life experiences or monsters on the wing (channeling Shattner from an original series Twighlight Zone). Am just kidding folks🙂

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)