GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Not sure, especially if they’re only making 10 ass./day as somebody mentioned. I’m heading to the dealer today to speak with the Tech Supervisor to get some feedback/insight into my ride quality & brake squeal etc.
No one would know how many they make. It seems, from everyone here, they have recently been delaying all overtrails coming in. Given it is a small sample size, but there must be a reason it is occuring, and since there doesn't seem to be the issue with vibrations on any of the new ones, one would guess it is either being fixed at the factory or at the port.

No one would know how many they make. It seems, from everyone here, they have recently been delaying all overtrails coming in. Given it is a small sample size, but there must be a reason it is occuring, and since there doesn't seem to be the issue with vibrations on any of the new ones, one would guess it is either being fixed at the factory or at the port.
Man I sure hope this is the case!

Is it possible it was an accidental hang up? Regardless, definitely call Lexus. The vehicle issues need to be reported. Toyota cannot help if there aren't enough reports of it. As a side note, on the Fecebook group this morning, there are a large number
Could be. But we all know they have caller ID. The fact that he was supposed to call me back Wednesday afternoon and didn’t, tells me all I need to know. Not his problem, he will act likes concerned about the customer but in reality, being a sales manager, if it doesn’t involve a new vehicle being sold and more commission he’s not going to be bothered with it.

I believe any of the new Overtrails being sold will have the brakes fixed prior to them being delivered to the customer. I feel like this is happening at the ports or possibly during assembly now as it's been known for a while. COngrats on your new ride. I do not like green cars at all. Yet this nori color is fantastic and I would absolutely drive that color myself now that I have seen it in person a few times. Great choice.
What would be considered a new overtrail? I bought mine middle of August.

30 minutes per wheel with proper lift, air tools and pressure bleeder. I’ve done several complete rotor rebuilds which are far more involved. I have no idea what the work bay setup looks like at the average “port” facility though.

Agreed. I just did my brakes (two new front calipers) on my Tacoma last night w my neighbor. Parking lot, floor jack and :55 minutes with two of us working.
Brake jobs for mechanics are super fast. Pads and rotors all four wheels should be an hour since it doesn’t require bleeding. Although w a pressure bleeder it would only add 15 mins to that anyway.

I don't think vehicles are being held at the Port. I passed on the first option my dealer had in favor of waiting for a later allocation with Black Onyx roof. It landed in Long Beach Port yesterday and is sitting on my dealers lot as of an hour ago. Back surgery scheduled for Tues. so won't get to pick it up for a couple more weeks.

I've been following this thread for about the last few months quietly (first post!) and I must say, there's a lot of weird information floating around out there. Let's back it up and just clarify a few things to help out the TLDR crowd.

Vibration -
There's a persistent vibration coming from the rear axle of the car and its not vehicle-speed dependent (harmonic).
  • It's NOT a tire imbalance issue
  • It's NOT related to the car being a "body on frame" design
  • It's NOT related to how the car is sprung (this isn't a 2500 series RAM, it's a Lexus)
  • It's NOT related to it being "designed for off-road use" (it's designed for street use with some extra rigor for the off-road stuff)
  • Though I can tell you it's not any of the above, I'm short of being able to identify what it actually is!
Brakes-
I don't think it's got anything to do with the brakes as a sticky caliper would prevent it from tracking straight which does not appear to be an issue (I know this because Porsche Torque Vectoring uses the brakes on the inside rear wheel to help the car rotate in). To me, something is impacting one/both of the rear shocks.

I've been following this thread for about the last few months quietly (first post!) and I must say, there's a lot of weird information floating around out there. Let's back it up and just clarify a few things to help out the TLDR crowd.

Vibration -
There's a persistent vibration coming from the rear axle of the car and its not vehicle-speed dependent (harmonic).
  • It's NOT a tire imbalance issue
  • It's NOT related to the car being a "body on frame" design
  • It's NOT related to how the car is sprung (this isn't a 2500 series RAM, it's a Lexus)
  • It's NOT related to it being "designed for off-road use" (it's designed for street use with some extra rigor for the off-road stuff)
  • Though I can tell you it's not any of the above, I'm short of being able to identify what it actually is!
Brakes-
I don't think it's got anything to do with the brakes as a sticky caliper would prevent it from tracking straight which does not appear to be an issue (I know this because Porsche Torque Vectoring uses the brakes on the inside rear wheel to help the car rotate in). To me, something is impacting one/both of the rear shocks.
I initially thought the same but so much is “lost in translation” when folks are describing what “they feel”. Sticking Caliper piston could and does translate to a shudder or vibration feeling. PTV and sticky caliper piston are two totally different concepts/conditions.

I initially thought the same but so much is “lost in translation” when folks are describing what “they feel”. Sticking Caliper piston could and does translate to a shudder or vibration feeling. PTV and sticky caliper piston are two totally different concepts/conditions.
I tried to drag the brakes to engage the pistons lightly over a long distance and the behavior did not change. Sticky calipers should lead to the car wander and not track straight since there's deviations in wheel speed. If it's in the front, you would also feel it in the steering wheel. I'm going to borrow a friends' pyrometer to check the brake disk temps and look for deviations as a sticky caliper would also lead to a rotor exhibiting a higher temp.

RE: PTV, the point I'm trying to make with that example is when the brakes are engaged for an individual wheel, the deviation in wheel speed will prevent the car from tracking straight and begin to pull to a side.

I tried to drag the brakes to engage the pistons lightly over a long distance and the behavior did not change. Sticky calipers should lead to the car wander and not track straight since there's deviations in wheel speed. If it's in the front, you would also feel it in the steering wheel. I'm going to borrow a friends' pyrometer to check the brake disk temps and look for deviations as a sticky caliper would also lead to a rotor exhibiting a higher temp.

RE: PTV, the point I'm trying to make with that example is when the brakes are engaged for an individual wheel, the deviation in wheel speed will prevent the car from tracking straight and begin to pull to a side.
If the rotor get’s hot enough you might even see visual signs…

I do believe those who have reported this vibration do have vibrations and not a rough ride. Is there any possibility that this is a malfunction of the Adaptive Variable Suspension? It seams like most vehicles experiencing these issues have the AVS system. How does this system receive its input? Could it be a loose or malfunctioning input sensor ? Could the processor be kicking out rapid/erratic information (for whatever reason) to the parts which execute the command ? Any ideas?

I do believe those who have reported this vibration do have vibrations and not a rough ride. Is there any possibility that this is a malfunction of the Adaptive Variable Suspension? It seams like most vehicles experiencing these issues have the AVS system. How does this system receive its input? Could it be a loose or malfunctioning input sensor ? Could the processor be kicking out rapid/erratic information (for whatever reason) to the parts which execute the command ? Any ideas?
This seems more plausible than brakes to me.

I'm not sure if it was me that assumed the calipers where being replaced or "sroberts" mentioned it. Looking at the parts list the calipers were not replaced. Video below details the job on a Tundra and shares the same part list. Now I'm doubting the caliper has anything to do with it. Round n round we go...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure if it was me that assumed the calipers where being replaced or "sroberts" mentioned it. Looking at the parts list the calipers were not replaced. Video below details the job on a Tundra and shares the same part list. Now I'm doubting the caliper has anything to do with it. Round n round we go...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for sharing!! Looking at the parts from the video, I see the fitting kit includes an "anti rattle spring." Can this be related to the vibration issue?

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back