GX550 Overtrail Vibration

My GX is back at the dealership now for the regional manager to drive and test it tomorrow. They are going to use some sort of device that measures the vibration in the vehicle. I told the tech to keep it for as long as they need to, but that I don't want it back until it's fixed. We shall see but not getting my hopes up.

Also, FWIW, have been dealing with this issue since May. Have had the vehicle into the dealer 6 times now for this issue, with several of those visits being multiple-day events. Not one word from a manager or anyone other than the technician.

Just seems like someone would give a crap that a new vehicle customer has been in that many times, with an unresolved issue, but appears nobody actually cares aside from the technician.

I've been following this thread for about the last few months quietly (first post!) and I must say, there's a lot of weird information floating around out there. Let's back it up and just clarify a few things to help out the TLDR crowd.

Vibration -
There's a persistent vibration coming from the rear axle of the car and its not vehicle-speed dependent (harmonic).
  • It's NOT a tire imbalance issue
  • It's NOT related to the car being a "body on frame" design
  • It's NOT related to how the car is sprung (this isn't a 2500 series RAM, it's a Lexus)
  • It's NOT related to it being "designed for off-road use" (it's designed for street use with some extra rigor for the off-road stuff)
  • Though I can tell you it's not any of the above, I'm short of being able to identify what it actually is!
Brakes-
I don't think it's got anything to do with the brakes as a sticky caliper would prevent it from tracking straight which does not appear to be an issue (I know this because Porsche Torque Vectoring uses the brakes on the inside rear wheel to help the car rotate in). To me, something is impacting one/both of the rear shocks.
My guess is, it is the brakes, and they are all faulty. I have said this before and I will say it again, if Lexus is actually planning to replace all of the brakes on these GX's, they would not do that just because of squeaking. This makes me think it's a bigger problem and they aren't officially announcing it because they simply don't have the brake parts available.

I do understand your vectoring comment, and that makes logical sense, but I feel like both of the rear brakes are grabbing and they are offsetting each other thus not causing a vectoring or pulling to one side. It's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

My GX is back at the dealership now for the regional manager to drive and test it tomorrow. They are going to use some sort of device that measures the vibration in the vehicle. I told the tech to keep it for as long as they need to, but that I don't want it back until it's fixed. We shall see but not getting my hopes up.

Also, FWIW, have been dealing with this issue since May. Have had the vehicle into the dealer 6 times now for this issue, with several of those visits being multiple-day events. Not one word from a manager or anyone other than the technician.

Just seems like someone would give a crap that a new vehicle customer has been in that many times, with an unresolved issue, but appears nobody actually cares aside from the technician.
Mine is supposed to go back in next week for the second time, this time with the head service manager doing the test drive. Although the appointment is contingent upon them getting in a brand new OT or OT+ so we can compare (again). He already told me that Lexus won't send a regional rep to look at it, although that could change if they drive it and find it to be exhibiting these issues we've been complaining about. At this point, I am not hopeful at all, and if they can't resolve it or give me some hope, I am seriously considering buying a loaded Sequoia. Have to take my 4runner in for service this week, and I plan to test drive a Land Cruiser and a Sequoia Capstone while I wait.

Mine is supposed to go back in next week for the second time, this time with the head service manager doing the test drive. Although the appointment is contingent upon them getting in a brand new OT or OT+ so we can compare (again). He already told me that Lexus won't send a regional rep to look at it, although that could change if they drive it and find it to be exhibiting these issues we've been complaining about. At this point, I am not hopeful at all, and if they can't resolve it or give me some hope, I am seriously considering buying a loaded Sequoia. Have to take my 4runner in for service this week, and I plan to test drive a Land Cruiser and a Sequoia Capstone while I wait.
I posted on one of the Land Cruiser forums on FB a few days ago and none of them have experienced any vibration issues at all. I just wonder what kind of trade in value I could get with 6K miles on mine. I really don't want to take a bath on this thing.

I believe any of the new Overtrails being sold will have the brakes fixed prior to them being delivered to the customer. I feel like this is happening at the ports or possibly during assembly now as it's been known for a while. COngrats on your new ride. I do not like green cars at all. Yet this nori color is fantastic and I would absolutely drive that color myself now that I have seen it in person a few times. Great choice.
Well interesting enough I had mine after a port delay when this issue was known.. no vibration but the darn brakes started squeaking in the rear now on reverse! I’ve got 600 miles on it, had it for 2 weeks give or take

Well interesting enough I had mine after a port delay when this issue was known.. no vibration but the darn brakes started squeaking in the rear now on reverse! I’ve got 600 miles on it, had it for 2 weeks give or take
I should add though: it drives fantastic, I’ve towed, off road and on highway I absolutely love this GX OT+ very happy, but staying abreast of this because I think the forum accurately pieced together a serious issue with the brakes and then sure enough my squeaks began lol

I've been following this thread for about the last few months quietly (first post!) and I must say, there's a lot of weird information floating around out there. Let's back it up and just clarify a few things to help out the TLDR crowd.

Vibration -
There's a persistent vibration coming from the rear axle of the car and its not vehicle-speed dependent (harmonic).
  • It's NOT a tire imbalance issue
  • It's NOT related to the car being a "body on frame" design
  • It's NOT related to how the car is sprung (this isn't a 2500 series RAM, it's a Lexus)
  • It's NOT related to it being "designed for off-road use" (it's designed for street use with some extra rigor for the off-road stuff)
  • Though I can tell you it's not any of the above, I'm short of being able to identify what it actually is!
Brakes-
I don't think it's got anything to do with the brakes as a sticky caliper would prevent it from tracking straight which does not appear to be an issue (I know this because Porsche Torque Vectoring uses the brakes on the inside rear wheel to help the car rotate in). To me, something is impacting one/both of the rear shocks.
Mine seems to want to drift to the right, but then when I try to focus on it I can’t really tell. I know nothing re: calipers however

Mine seems to want to drift to the right, but then when I try to focus on it I can’t really tell. I know nothing re: calipers however
Check to see if your rotors have this gold dot. This would likely indicate you have the new rotors.

Attachments

• IMG_8792.jpeg
    IMG_8792.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 35
Yes, the dealership road force balanced the tires and it resolved the issue. At this point it any vibration I might feel is not a consistent resonant vibration and is due to the road surface.

At the end of the day it now drives like a very nice body on frame truck with AT tires, but it won’t ever feel like a unibody SUV with road tires.
From another member/thread. Anybody else have success with this?

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back