GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Here's a question for those mechanically inclined: could it be faulty body mounts?
I am leaning away from this being the culprit, but it's definitely something I have been wondering, and it hasn't yet been suggested in this thread. Does anybody on here have any insight on this?

I am leaning away from this being the culprit, but it's definitely something I have been wondering, and it hasn't yet been suggested in this thread. Does anybody on here have any insight on this?
And I have noticed that if the engine jerks, like if it jumps into a gear too harshly by accident or whatever, I feel a similar sensation through my seat. So, that might point to body mounts maybe?

I'm bummed to see you guys feel that way about what should be a great experience and after waiting all this time and spending a good amount of $$. And makes me a bit anxious about my Overtrail+ that should arrive next week.

Most do not have brake or vibration issues, including my Overtrail+. You will love this truck— I do!

For those reading this thread concerned about their incoming GX and are still waiting. You’re reading a thread of an unfortunate subset of GX owners who are having vibration and brake sound issues, BUT this is not everyone’s OT.

My OT drives smooth as butter and does not have the squealing brakes issue. The freshly paved roads by my house feel like im gliding across a freshly flat frozen sheet of ice with zero bumps.

For those concerned about gas mileage and tank size. I have 4300 miles on it, and my average MPG is 17 on the nose. When I fill up it says 307 miles to empty, but it is a known fact that “to zero” means you still have 3.5 - 4 more gallons in the tank, so if i drove to what actually is “0”, i could theoretically drive around 360 miles on 1 tank.

The hood flutter is present in mine, but i would never even have noticed it if I had not read that thread. I don’t notice it as I don’t stare at my center hood closest to the dash(where it flutters), and mine is white so not as noticeable as a dark color.

My only true gripes, which have nothing to do with driving mechanics, is the lack of head air vents for my son in the back, and how small the cool box space is (and lack of other storage space)

As far as driving experience, its a great and refined body on frame experience.

Don’t be afraid to buy or put down deposit. JUST TEST DRIVE B/F YOU BUY to make sure you didn’t win the vibration lotto!

For those reading this thread concerned about their incoming GX and are still waiting. You’re reading a thread of an unfortunate subset of GX owners who are having vibration and brake sound issues, BUT this is not everyone’s OT.

My OT drives smooth as butter and does not have the squealing brakes issue. The freshly paved roads by my house feel like im gliding across a freshly flat frozen sheet of ice with zero bumps.

For those concerned about gas mileage and tank size. I have 4300 miles on it, and my average MPG is 17 on the nose. When I fill up it says 307 miles to empty, but it is a known fact that “to zero” means you still have 3.5 - 4 more gallons in the tank, so if i drove to what actually is “0”, i could theoretically drive around 360 miles on 1 tank.

The hood flutter is present in mine, but i would never even have noticed it if I had not read that thread. I don’t notice it as I don’t stare at my center hood closest to the dash(where it flutters), and mine is white so not as noticeable as a dark color.

My only true gripes, which have nothing to do with driving mechanics, is the lack of head air vents for my son in the back, and how small the cool box space is (and lack of other storage space)

Don’t be afraid to buy or put down deposit. JUST TEST DRIVE B/F YOU BUY to make sure you didn’t win the vibration lotto!
I appreciate everything you said but it is very unnerving not knowing if you are going to end up with a lemon or not and the test drive vehicle is not usually your own.
It should not come to this, Lexus needs to acknowledge these issues and fix them ASAP so we all look forward to a brilliant new vehicle.

I appreciate everything you said but it is very unnerving not knowing if you are going to end up with a lemon or not and the test drive vehicle is not usually your own.
It should not come to this, Lexus needs to acknowledge these issues and fix them ASAP so we all look forward to a brilliant new vehicle.

I meant test drive YOUR allocation before you sign on dotted line. You could buy a lemon of any manufacturer, make, or model

Did you check your brakes for the gold dot?

Hey all,
I just finished reading all 25 pages of this post. Hadn’t heard anything negative about the GX until I stumbled onto this forum. Really appreciate everyone who has posted to share their experiences good and bad. I think I’ve watched every YouTube video out there in the past 6 months from reviewers of the vehicle and continue to look for new postings regularly. The only watch-out mentioned from just a few people is the hood fluttering a bit at high speed. No one has said anything about squeaky brakes or the more concerning vibration issue. It takes a bit of effort to do a YouTube video but if someone with an OT were to do that, I’m sure current and future owners (like me) would greatly appreciate it.

I can empathize with a few posters who have been dealing with the issues for months. I’m a type A personality and I can tell you that I would be absolutely furious if I had to personally deal with such an expensive and unexpected headache. I would have gone straight to the top executive office to complain by now, which is what I did about 10 years ago on a DOA Samsung TV. After about 4 months of getting nowhere with customer service on a warranty claim, I was fed up. I searched on Samsung’s investor relations website and found the email address of an SVP over customer service and communications. Forget this person’s exact title but he was an SVP. I emailed him and explained my problem with the TV and that his warranty department wasn’t helping me. Within 24 hours, I got an email from his personal assistant who said she received my email through her SVP and that she would be personally handling my case going forward. It was refreshing to finally deal with someone who actually understood and cared. Within a week, a Samsung truck came by and picked up the TV and I got a full refund.

I’m on the waitlist for a 2025 OT+ in Incognito/Black roof with Chateau interior. As of 2 weeks ago, I’m #2 for this specific spec but I told my dealership that I want a 2025 and not a 2024. If I’m up next and it’s still a 2024, I said I will wait when it is officially a 2025 model year. Hoping it will be without any issues and because of this forum I will make sure to take it on a test drive before accepting delivery. If it’s fine but i later experience these issues, I will not hesitate to reach out to Toyota executive office. I would include comments from many of you who have struggled to get answers. Thank you for creating this forum.

He means “test drive your vehicle” before you sign…

I must have missed that post on the squealing brakes thread. What, why, and where am I looking for a gold dot for on my brakes? I’ll go take a photo and post
I was the one who posted that pic and it was clipped from a video of the Tundra brake rotor TSB. The gold dot indicates “updated part” and is located on the horizontal flat area between the disc and hub. See pic.
IMG_8831.jpeg

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back