Hood, vibration, body rolling, not Luxurious at all, not Lexus-like

GX 550 new owners,
I read and saw that there’s an issue on Hood vibration specially driving at 70 MPH,, vibration on idle, a lot of body rolling, not luxurious at all. Are these true?
The body roll and hood flutter are present. If you have a roof carriage then there is too much wind noise in the cabin. I

GX 550 new owners,
I read and saw that there’s an issue on Hood vibration specially driving at 70 MPH,, vibration on idle, a lot of body rolling, not luxurious at all. Are these true?
Unfortunately, yes. Picked up my OT in Mobile, AL and the hood vibration started on the way home once I hit 60. Have had it for a month. The vibration isn’t consistent. Sometimes it’s a teeth rattling, steering wheel shaking, Dramamine needed ride on a smooth city road. I’ll start it up the next day and it’s not nearly as bad, but definitely noticeable. Drove to New Orleans, not too bad on the way there. Drove home the same day, and I pulled off the interstate twice to check the hood..it was vibrating so bad it looked like it was going to pop open. Front brakes screech when I reverse..that’s consistent. Dropped it off last Thursday at the dealership in Mobile. Todays update..”We are communicating with engineering, and are having brake parts sent in but they aren’t all arriving at the same time.” Yep-that’s all I got. Disappointed is an understatement.
It’s especially frustrating to read comments insinuating that the people reporting the issues I’m now dealing with are just “sensitive”, “real estate agents or soccer moms who love the look but can’t handle the ride”. The service department was quick to admit they felt and heard everything I reported.

Attachments

• IMG_4279.MOV
    14.5 MB
Last edited:
Premium Plus, there is a little bit of vibration at highway speeds, no noise. In fact this new model is much quieter than my last one on the highway. Regarding vibration, I have to focus on it otherwise not an issue. Regarding body roll… not aware of any issue with it. The GX tracts straight it is a firm ride compared to past GX’s and feels solid on the road. So far no issues, I love it, however it is a first year model so issues may arise. Again…so far all good!
The trim is all Lexus, major improvement in technology, huge improvement in performance. Personally I find it is the most comfortable drive of all the GX’s I have owned.
Same model. Some vibration, but not really noticeable unless going over bad roads. Cabin interior is very quiet. Body roll exists if one is trying to drive a body on frame SUV like a sports car. I'm an aggressive driver and there is no body roll, and handling is solid in 90% of my driving. If I'm going 65-70 on a 35 mph rated off ramp...yeah some body roll. But then, why did one get a body on frame SUV? Get a unibody.

I think 17" or 18" wheels and a larger sidewall profile will provide a bit more cushion from bumpy/bad roads since the ride is firmer than previous GX's. Interestingly, my SO has not gotten car sick in the back, but they do feel certain road bumps a bit more. My SO rated the back seat ride better (less firm and better seat comfort) than the 2024 BMW X5 model (but BMW's tend to have firm rides in general). My wheel and tire size will be based for comfort. I'm looking at 17' - 18" wheels with the 265/70R18 or 265/70R17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2. Not sure if that will provide a significant improvement for the cost though.

Final test is kiddo happiness. My kiddo falls asleep faster in the Lexus GX than any other vehicle owned. That is an endorsement in of itself.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes. Picked up my OT in Mobile, AL and the hood vibration started on the way home once I hit 60. Have had it for a month. The vibration isn’t consistent. Sometimes it’s a teeth rattling, steering wheel shaking, Dramamine needed ride on a smooth city road. I’ll start it up the next day and it’s not nearly as bad, but definitely noticeable. Drove to New Orleans, not too bad on the way there. Drove home the same day, and I pulled off the interstate twice to check the hood..it was vibrating so bad it looked like it was going to pop open. Front brakes screech when I reverse..that’s consistent. Dropped it off last Thursday at the dealership in Mobile. Todays update..”We are communicating with engineering, and are having brake parts sent in but they aren’t all arriving at the same time.” Yep-that’s all I got. Disappointed is an understatement.
It’s especially frustrating to read comments insinuating that the people reporting the issues I’m now dealing with are just “sensitive”, “real estate agents or soccer moms who love the look but can’t handle the ride”. The service department was quick to admit they felt and heard everything I reported.
Always going to be some new cars with issues. Sounds like you have a few. Hopefully you get them fixed. Most people aren’t having issues. The hood flutter is common on cars today, but if yours is worse than normal maybe there is an issue. The ride on these vehicles isn’t as smooth as a car. If that is what you are expecting then you may be disappointed. If it is worse than a little stiffer than normal maybe there is an issue. If your breaks squeal probably there is an issue, sounds like the dealer is working on it. Just wondering, is there any chance they all could be connected? Could the issue with the breaks be affecting the ride somehow, which in turn is causing increased vibration magnifying the hood flutter. The ride part seems strange that it varies depending on the day unless something is changing and causing it.

If Lexus hasn't resolved the hood flutter issue by the time we get our GX, will be installing some sound deadening material on the underside of the hood sheet metal behind the factory hood insulation. It is hard for me to say what a good fix would be as I don't have our GX yet and can not study the underside of the hood.
Two questions.
1.) Do you think that the flutter is happening due to a larger than normal gap between the front of the hood and the grill?
2.) Where is the flutter? Front, center or rear of the hood near the windshield?

Congrats on the new GX and sorry you’re having these issues. On that reverse brake squeal it’s likely the pad to caliper interface and a very typical “first year” type issue. Same can be said for your other concerns. I would take it “one step at a time” addressing each. If you’re at all mechanically inclined try pulling the pads on all 4 corners and add a heavy dose of “anti squeal” to the backside of each pad. I realize this sucks btw and should not be happening and the dealer should fix etc… maybe suggest this fix to the dealer in the hopes they’ll do the work. Sadly very often these days we get the, “it’s normal” bs which is why I always tend to figure things out on my own. As we get more into this new platform things like this get resolved and fixes will be documented and posted here. Maybe you can be the brake squeal fix guy?? Just trying to help. Good luck.

Oh crap! It’s just insane for Lexus to have these kind of issues. Having second thoughts really. Appreciate you sharing! Good luck

Oh crap! It’s just insane for Lexus to have these kind of issues. Having second thoughts really. Appreciate you sharing! Good luck
1. Test drive before you buy
2. Go on fb forums, no one is complaining about the vehicle over there with 100x’s the posts we get here.
3. Go to any other car forum and read the negative posts.
There are bad cars that slip through with every manufacturer. My buddy just lemon lawed his 2024 f250. His heating system doesn’t work and they have no idea why after 3 months. In the shop more than in his garage. That doesn’t mean all f250’s are bad, just he got one that was. I would still take posts here complaining with a grain of salt.

I test drove the
2. Go on fb forums, no one is complaining about the vehicle over there with 100x’s the posts we get here.
There are bad cars that slip through with every manufacturer. My buddy just lemon lawed his 2024 f250. His heating system doesn’t work and they have no idea why after 3 months. In the shop more than in his garage. That doesn’t mean all f250’s are bad, just he got one that was. I would still take posts here complaining with a grain of salt.
I test drove the car at the dealership before I bought it. It didn’t act up. The point of forums is to share any feedback, positive and negative, that may help others navigate similar issues should they arise. I don’t think where the posts are made is relevant. Perhaps I should go to FB and share our experience as well. I wish I had dug deeper before we bought this car. Even if my post helps one person dealing with these issues it was worth my time. I know I felt relief reading the numerous posts relating to the brake and vibration issues..that there are more than quite a few lemons.

I test drove the

I test drove the car at the dealership before I bought it. It didn’t act up. The point of forums is to share any feedback, positive and negative, that may help others navigate similar issues should they arise. I don’t think where the posts are made is relevant. Perhaps I should go to FB and share our experience as well. I wish I had dug deeper before we bought this car. Even if my post helps one person dealing with these issues it was worth my time. I know I felt relief reading the numerous posts relating to the brake and vibration issues..that there are more than quite a few lemons.
Why would you feel relief? You still have a car with issues. Most people don't, that should make you feel better. The issues you are having should be fixable. If every GX vibrated uncontrollably and the breaks screamed when I backed up I would figure it was the way things are supposed to be. Most of them don't do that, so it should be up to the dealer and eventually Lexus to make them correct. Not one of all of the reviews I read ever mentioned any of those things happening. Of the thousands of these vehicles sold so far, it looks like we have 3 or 4 people here with issues similar to yours. That should make you feel better. The hood flexing, my guess is that is the way it was intended and probably there isn't going to be a fix for it. If that bothers you then that would be a bigger thing. My Jeep does it, if I pay attention I notice it, it doesn't bother me, so if the Lexus does it, I won't care. Someone mentioned their GX vibrated greatly, then they got in 2 others gx's and they did the same thing. To me that sounds like an issue they are sensitive to and that is probably inherint to the vehicle, that would trouble me, because it isn't a one off thing and very well might not be fixable.

Why would you feel relief? You still have a car with issues. Most people don't, that should make you feel better. The issues you are having should be fixable. If every GX vibrated uncontrollably and the breaks screamed when I backed up I would figure it was the way things are supposed to be. Most of them don't do that, so it should be up to the dealer and eventually Lexus to make them correct. Not one of all of the reviews I read ever mentioned any of those things happening. Of the thousands of these vehicles sold so far, it looks like we have 3 or 4 people here with issues similar to yours. That should make you feel better. The hood flexing, my guess is that is the way it was intended and probably there isn't going to be a fix for it. If that bothers you then that would be a bigger thing. My Jeep does it, if I pay attention I notice it, it doesn't bother me, so if the Lexus does it, I won't care. Someone mentioned their GX vibrated greatly, then they got in 2 others gx's and they did the same thing. To me that sounds like an issue they are sensitive to and that is probably inherint to the vehicle, that would trouble me, because it isn't a one off thing and very well might not be fixable.
We will agree to disagree..thank you for your opinion

Ty

If Lexus hasn't resolved the hood flutter issue by the time we get our GX, will be installing some sound deadening material on the underside of the hood sheet metal behind the factory hood insulation. It is hard for me to say what a good fix would be as I don't have our GX yet and can not study the underside of the hood.
Two questions.
1.) Do you think that the flutter is happening due to a larger than normal gap between the front of the hood and the grill?
2.) Where is the flutter? Front, center or rear of the hood near the windshield?
The hood flutter on new cars is due to the fact that the car manufacturers are required by law to meet average EPA mileage goals across their line of vehicles. This means that they shave weight wherever they can. The light aluminum hood on the GX was probably made a little to thin and unreinforced to save a precious ounce or two. There are also requirements for the hood to absorb pedestrian impacts which affects it's structural strength.

The flutter is all across the middle expanse of the hood between the two visual-wheel-placement humps on either side. This is just as you'd expect since the bends in the aluminum at the humps on either side give structural strength to the hood in the areas of the bends. The fact that the GX is a giant not-very-aerodynamic box moving down the road at highway speeds certainly doesn't help the hood flutter issue.

I'm going to dig into the area under the hood and figure out the best way to reinforce it on my own. I've read that installing adhesive sound deadening matting helps.

I drove from 60-85 mph yesterday and observed the behavior of the hood on my gx. What I found was that it “fluttered” but not significantly and that the increase in speed do not noticeably increase the fluttering. Tbh , if I wasn’t made aware of this issue from the forums and am now hyper acutely aware of it, I would not have paid it any mind. That said after I made a note of my observations it didn’t bother me after the fact. I’m going to pile this in my interesting but IdGAF items for the GX.
There’s a bunch more items that actually affect my QOL.

The hood flutter on new cars is due to the fact that the car manufacturers are required by law to meet average EPA mileage goals across their line of vehicles. This means that they shave weight wherever they can. The light aluminum hood on the GX was probably made a little to thin and unreinforced to save a precious ounce or two. There are also requirements for the hood to absorb pedestrian impacts which affects it's structural strength.

The flutter is all across the middle expanse of the hood between the two visual-wheel-placement humps on either side. This is just as you'd expect since the bends in the aluminum at the humps on either side give structural strength to the hood in the areas of the bends. The fact that the GX is a giant not-very-aerodynamic box moving down the road at highway speeds certainly doesn't help the hood flutter issue.

I'm going to dig into the area under the hood and figure out the best way to reinforce it on my own. I've read that installing adhesive sound deadening matting helps.
Let us know if the sound deadening matting stiffens the hood enough to prevent the flutter.

I was thinking that a "+" made from two stiffener bars and "glued" onto the underside of the hood with 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive should work. Mind you, it would take some work to roll the stiffener into the right contour to follow the underside of the hood:

Amazon.com

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066467/

Let us know if the sound deadening matting stiffens the hood enough to prevent the flutter.

I was thinking that a "+" made from two stiffener bars and "glued" onto the underside of the hood with 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive should work. Mind you, it would take some work to roll the stiffener into the right contour to follow the underside of the hood:

Amazon.com

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066467/
That is exactly what I was thinking!

But the real-deal automotive bonding agents are pricey and getting an actual structural-supporting aluminum strip to conform would be difficult.

I just ordered a box of 25 of those non-reusable plastic clips that secure the under-hood insulation piece in place. I yanked one out and quickly discovered that they are indeed the non-reusable type. I should have them in a couple days. Then I can remove all 10 clips and see what's really going on under there.

I also reached out to Dynamat for their recommendation on what product to use. Dynamat has a Hoodliner product but it's a 3/4" aluminum-backed foam that is made for heat and noise. I think the buytl-based product would work better but I want to make sure it can handle the heat.

That is exactly what I was thinking!

But the real-deal automotive bonding agents are pricey and getting an actual structural-supporting aluminum strip to conform would be difficult.

I just ordered a box of 25 of those non-reusable plastic clips that secure the under-hood insulation piece in place. I yanked one out and quickly discovered that they are indeed the non-reusable type. I should have them in a couple days. Then I can remove all 10 clips and see what's really going on under there.

I also reached out to Dynamat for their recommendation on what product to use. Dynamat has a Hoodliner product but it's a 3/4" aluminum-backed foam that is made for heat and noise. I think the buytl-based product would work better but I want to make sure it can handle the heat.
Please post up some pics of the bare inside of the hood once you remove the insulation that's in place and let us know what dynamat says - solving these kinds of problems is what make these auto forums great!

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)