Key Fob vs. SmartAccess Key vs. Digital Key

ab01

Aug 1, 2024
Media
New Hampshire
What are people using for Key access to their GX? I see each key type as having positives and negatives.

The traditional Key Fob is great, and you can do remote start and roll down the windows (if in range) but is large in your pocket. The SmartAccess Key means you have to walk up to the car, and can be a bit thick in your wallet. The Digital Key means the phone must sync with the car as you approach, and the Lexus app is open, and you have Wireless coverage.

I just bought the key card fob, getting it programmed on Monday.
I dont like digital key since you have to have a paid subscription

I don’t think you need internet for the digital key, just to signal the vehicle to unlock from the app. That said, it is quite finicky, sometimes disappearing from the app. Tesla definitely did a better job. I mostly carry the smart key and no wallet.

I don’t think you need internet for the digital key, just to signal the vehicle to unlock from the app. That said, it is quite finicky, sometimes disappearing from the app. Tesla definitely did a better job. I mostly carry the smart key and no wallet.
From my understanding, you do need internet, a paid subscription from lexus.

From my understanding, you do need internet, a paid subscription from lexus.
When I tested it with my data / wifi off on my phone, the digital key still worked to start the vehicle. However, if I wasn't signed in to the app, I was blocked until I had internet to sign in, which makes no sense. So, I just don't think it can be trusted enough to be useful.

PS: the vehicle comes with a ~3yr "trial" subscription.

I'm still getting used to all the different "keys".

Just yesterday I drove to my office and upon arrival noticed I didn't have my key fob in my pocket! My first thought was how on earth did it let me start the engine without a key. Then I remembered the credit card key thing was in my briefcase.

Later in the day I opened the Lexus app and got a message saying to download the "key" and pair it. But oddly, the app still lets me unlock, lock and start the vehicle remotely. So not sure why it needs to download the key.

I can see the phone or credit card key being useful when skiing or mountain biking....

I was really enjoying the digital key until I was at the gas station trying to leave and it would not connect to the car. It took a minute or two, it was saying something to the effect that it was running slower than usual. I was finally able to start the car but decided it was not reliable enough. Also, if you do need internet, I could see a scenario where I went somewhere with no coverage, hiking, off roading, and being stranded due to no internet.

Also, I found that sometimes it does not connect with the car and the doors won't unlock by keyless entry method and I have to open the app and request the doors be unlocked from the app.

I'm still getting used to all the different "keys".

Just yesterday I drove to my office and upon arrival noticed I didn't have my key fob in my pocket! My first thought was how on earth did it let me start the engine without a key. Then I remembered the credit card key thing was in my briefcase.

Later in the day I opened the Lexus app and got a message saying to download the "key" and pair it. But oddly, the app still lets me unlock, lock and start the vehicle remotely. So not sure why it needs to download the key.

I can see the phone or credit card key being useful when skiing or mountain biking....
I believe it is asking to download the "digital key" so you can start the car as normal without the fob or card key. You'll have to have the app open.

I don't think the digital key is reliable enough, so I would always plan on a backup. I've had it fail to unlock/lock/remote start while I'm standing next to the car with a strong signal and had to try a few times before it finally took.... or I just gave up and used a different method.

I've been using a mix of digital and smart access key with no issues. I think the only key I would "trust" as a standalone would be the traditional key fob.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back