Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 26
I think its in house, I have a 2021 Model S Plaid
Beautiful.

I personally think the ML sounds great. I’ve also heard the Burmeister on a previous 2019 GLS. I thought that was comparable to ML. Note I don’t play the music loud. 90-100db is more than enough for me in terms of volume. I care more about the clarity, the soundstage, the responsiveness etc. and I feel like the ML has got that.

I just realized that if I fade conpletely to the rear mid song, there is zero bass. Not sure if it’s a software or hardware issue, but very odd indeed. Can anyone else test this and see if you get similar results?
Circling back on this fade issue. When the fade is set to Center, the sound is actually 100% coming from front/center, not center/center. I tested this with Surround on and off. Also adjusted the fade to Front/Center then back to center/center, no change. If faded to rear 90% of sound and quality go away.
Any one have similar issue??

Circling back on this fade issue. When the fade is set to Center, the sound is actually 100% coming from front/center, not center/center. I tested this with Surround on and off. Also adjusted the fade to Front/Center then back to center/center, no change. If faded to rear 90% of sound and quality go away.
Any one have similar issue??
Yes. Others have confirmed the same thing that I’ve seen.
When you have the front back fade set to the center, all speakers around the car get equal power. So if you were to crawl into the back of the car, you would hear sound coming out of the rear, including the subwoofer. But it sounds like it’s coming entirely out of the front when you are in the front seat, because you are close to the front speakers.

When you move the front rear slider to the rear 100%, this is where the problem becomes very clear: only the rear passenger door mid range speakers are firing. This is why people think it sounds tinny: because you’re only getting those two speakers.

For the people who leave the speakers in their default center position, and are happy with the sound appearing to come from the front, then those people will be very happy with the ML sound system.

But for people like me, who are the solo driver of the car, nearly 100% of the time, and want the sound to come from around them and not just seem to be in front of them, then this is a very poor way to wire a speaker system.

For those that had the previous GX, did the ML system sound better?

One interesting thing my dealer said when we were taking delivery is he said the speakers are made out of a bamboo material instead of a traditional cloth type material so they can get splashed with water and not get damaged. Not sure if this has anything to do with anything but thought that was interesting.

Unpopular opinion - I really like the ML 21 speaker system in the new GX. Very crisp and accurate sound. The bass is clear and accurate. I have the balance set to center and the tone one or two notches up on bass/mid.

For comparison, my most recent daily drivers are Range Rover with Meridian, Mercedes EQS with Burmester, and Model S with factory Tesla stereo. They all sound very different but generally good (especially vocals for podcasts, audiobooks etc.. The Tesla bass/sub thumps the hardest. Tesla has a slight edge if you want the most decibels (loud). That said, the cabin noise is also the highest in the Tesla.

Something to consider is that poorly recorded audio sounds worse on higher end systems. Input quality matters more with better stereo systems. If you play good tracks on the ML, it sounds great.

I just have to say how disappointed I am with the ML system. Previous comments are correct about moving sound to rear of car. So bad with just the 2 side speakers. How could Lexus let this happen. My wife drives a 23 GX and its ML system rocks. This surely must be fixed on next model. I love my OT+ but stereo sucks. I also have the benefit of comparing new OT+ to last years GX.

My wife's 460 has the ML system and I'm not impressed at all with it. The Bose system in my GMC Denali sounds much better in my opinion. So, I didn't splurge for that option on my 550 OT.

Question: Is there supposed to be a sub on the rear lift door? And are people experiencing that sub not working?

So is the ML system a design flaw or a wiring/quality control flaw?

The sub or low frequency speakers in the rear lift door and driver side and passenger side rear doors do not work on mine. It’s currently at the dealership and I’m hoping they can figure out the problem.

I believe the Mark Levinson system is a port installed option, so whoever is doing the install at port is not doing a good job.

The sub or low frequency speakers in the rear lift door and driver side and passenger side rear doors do not work on mine. It’s currently at the dealership and I’m hoping they can figure out the problem.

I believe the Mark Levinson system is a port installed option, so whoever is doing the install at port is not doing a good job.
Had my dealer (Spirit Lexus StL) have a listen, the service guys were all in agreement that the full, best sound is coming from front center. Any fade towards the rear, past center, will cause speakers to diminish significantly and reduce sound to a single rear speaker. They also noticed the same thing in another Lux+. To add salt to wound, my loaner Rx(?) also presented the same way. LEXUS, please fix this imbalance in this system. This is pathetic!

Please let us all know what the dealer says?

The ML is crisp and clear, but it is tuned for people who listen to Kenny G and Barbara Streisand. The lack of an independent subwoofer controller is the main culprit here. As an $1,800 additional charge, I think it’s highway robbery…. unless your Michael Buble Spotify channel is locked in.
What Gx trim package did you get? I have to get the premium plus due to needing all the towing I can get but I wanted the ML sound package…Lexus can’t / won’t do it.

What Gx trim package did you get? I have to get the premium plus due to needing all the towing I can get but I wanted the ML sound package…Lexus can’t / won’t do it.
I believe woody got the lux+ package. It comes with ML.

Does anyone have a diagram of where all 21 speakers are? Perhaps that will help us determine which areas of the vehicle should be producing sound.
Found this audio review of the TX on YT. While they are different models, I believe the systems are identical. at 6:15 in the review he explains the placement of the 21 speakers. I think the only difference is the rear speakers are swapped. Otherwise, should be apples to apples.

Yes. Got the Lux+. Do not sacrifice the ride and towing of a Premium for the ML. Literally one of the worst upgraded sound systems I’ve ever had in an auto. Now I’m wondering if some of my speakers were completely out like others have reported. No way the JBL in my Sequoia should sound better, especially with all the additional sound deadening in the GX.

Please let us all know what the dealer says?
Update from dealership. They opened up the rear door panels and confirmed that there are no speakers in the location of the lower rear doors. This is the reason if sound is faded all the way to rear, bass is not existent. Dealership said this is all correct and working as designed. I have to say this is the worst audio upgrade option I’ve personally come across.

Update from dealership. They opened up the rear door panels and confirmed that there are no speakers in the location of the lower rear doors. This is the reason if sound is faded all the way to rear, bass is not existent. Dealership said this is all correct and working as designed. I have to say this is the worst audio upgrade option I’ve personally come across.
Did they give you a speaker location map of the car showing where speakers are supposed to be?

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)