Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

I filed a complaint online with LexusNA and received a follow up call today from their customer service department. They asked questions, logged my concerns and will continue to research the issue. They also committed to following up by next Tuesday (8/20). While my expectations for a positive outcome are LOW, today's call is at least a step in the right direction - stay tuned.

Update from dealership. They opened up the rear door panels and confirmed that there are no speakers in the location of the lower rear doors. This is the reason if sound is faded all the way to rear, bass is not existent. Dealership said this is all correct and working as designed. I have to say this is the worst audio upgrade option I’ve personally come across.
What?

I have had my OT + with the ML system for a month now. I have noticed full sound, all ranges, at lower volume levels, but as I am a 60's and 70's rock n roller and love to feel my music as well as hear it, when the volume goes up the bass and low mid ranges fade out somewhat and then I notice it seems to come back some and go away and come back and on n on. Tried listening to Sirius in Lexus mode and Android mode with the same results. Kind if disappointing. Thought all ranges would amplify equally as the volume went up. Almost as if there is a governor set up in the low ranges.
My input on the ML system.

1000020501.jpg

Looks like this system is definitely biased for frontal soundstage (which I like) and also for the front two passengers. Not rear. I personally think it’s great. Not a bass head though. Nor do I turned the volume up past 30. I usually hover around the 20s.

Also note that its the cost of the stereo add on not the cost of the vehicle that should be the reference point here.
You don’t have a choice with the ML. If you get a Premium then you are missing out on other luxuries. You get ML automatically with Luxury +. I’d prefer ML to be an adoption to any trim line

There appears to be multiple subs all over the vehicle (all doors including back hatch, presumably somewhere in the dash, etc....) instead of one main one. Which partially explains Lexus' claim of good sound no matter where you're sitting.
It’s terrible and I’d like to see these subs because I think they forgot them honestly and we are all being lied to

Interesting post. Now I'm curious to see how the $1,800 ML upgrade sounds when mine arrives.

Is there an actual subwoofer and just no separate controls for it in the audio settings?
No subs and a very basic system sound adjustment. It reminds me of a cheap sound system put in base models for Hyundais

IMO the ML sound system is just fine and worth the $$. It accurately reproduces the sound source. This is a completely subjective topic. If the criteria is to thump the car next to you at a stop light, no it will not do that. Nor is that accurate reproduction of most audio content. I'm happy Lexus did not drink the exaggerated bass kool aid. With a couple of tweaks (again very subjective, slight increase to the highs and lows, and slight decrease to the mids in my case) I think it sounds great.
If you ever owned the GX 460 you would understand, because this ML is worse then the older generation GX for sure

I am taking my car to the dealer this afternoon for same reason. Definitely missing 2 speakers in the rear seat doors, but I can only count 16 speakers and can't figure out where the remaining 5 would be hiding. All my sound comes from the front speakers, which has almost no bass. I sat in a friends GX with base stereo and it sounded better than ML.

I called 800-25-LEXUS and they were very nice, but told me to take to dealership for review and call them back if needed.

Please keep the forum posted what the dealership has to say. My 2022 VW Tiguan with 6 speakers sounds better than my GX550 with 21 ??? speakers

I am taking my car to the dealer this afternoon for same reason. Definitely missing 2 speakers in the rear seat doors, but I can only count 16 speakers and can't figure out where the remaining 5 would be hiding. All my sound comes from the front speakers, which has almost no bass. I sat in a friends GX with base stereo and it sounded better than ML.

I called 800-25-LEXUS and they were very nice, but told me to take to dealership for review and call them back if needed.
Good! There is definitely a huge problem with the sound. My 2014 GX 460 blows away my husbands GX 550. Anyone who says it sounds fine lacks knowledge on a good sounding system and for $1800 it should be decent. Let me know what they say.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)