Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

I just came back from the dealership and they removed the rear door panels and showed me the "dummy" speakers in the bottom set of speakers in the rear doors. They claim that this is how it is supposed to be and said that another Lux+ with ML also had the same setup. The speaker map shows that they are speakers in that location.
Did you push back on the dealer and show them that there are supposed to be speakers in that bottom opening, not fake ones?

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 139
They said that they removed the door panel on another ML and it showed the same thing, so that's how they are supposed to be.
Just looked at both diagrams again and I think that the dealer is correct. If you look at the first speaker placement diagram it does not show a speaker in that location in the rear doors. The second set shows a different part number (86160B) for what is in that location in the rear doors verses what is in the front doors (86160)

Attachments

• Speaker PLacement GX550.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 75
I just got off the phone with Lexus again and she documented everything for Lexus Corp to review. She did say that anyone with similar concerns should call in to document as well. I think this is the only way they could ever truly produce a resolution/fix to make it better.
800-25-LEXUS

Just looked at both diagrams again and I think that the dealer is correct. If you look at the first speaker placement diagram it does not show a speaker in that location in the rear doors. The second set shows a different part number (86160B) for what is in that location in the rear doors verses what is in the front doors (86160)
The second set shows different part numbers for the other 2 speakers in both the front and rear doors as well.

Did you just tell them it didn't sound good, or it was defective.
I let them know details about the sound and design. I also shared the comparison the dealer made between 2023 GX and all 550s with ML. Empty speaker compartments, lack of full sound etc. They had heard this before.

I gave the same information that sschreib shared.

I let me know that I was not satisfied with the sound quality of the so call 1800-watt 21 speaker ML system in my GX550 Lux+.

I just got off the phone with Lexus again and she documented everything for Lexus Corp to review. She did say that anyone with similar concerns should call in to document as well. I think this is the only way they could ever truly produce a resolution/fix to make it better.
800-25-LEXUS
I received a follow up call from Lexus US/HQ to acknowledge my customer service ticket was reviewed and to let me know that "Lexus is aware of this issue and is working on some type of resolution." He went on to explain that any additional follow up &/or specific resolution would be shared through the regular HQ--> Dealer communication channels. Soooo, I guess I will hold off on shopping for 3rd-party upgrades for a while. Keep the complaints coming.

I received a follow up call from Lexus US/HQ to acknowledge my customer service ticket was reviewed and to let me know that "Lexus is aware of this issue and is working on some type of resolution." He went on to explain that any additional follow up &/or specific resolution would be shared through the regular HQ--> Dealer communication channels. Soooo, I guess I will hold off on shopping for 3rd-party upgrades for a while. Keep the complaints coming.
That’s amazing! Thanks for the update. They haven’t called me back yet 🤞🏼

When you say dummy, they actually didn't work.
If you take a flashlight and shine it on the bottom speaker area in those 2nd row doors you can see the dummy plastic piece that is in there instead of a speaker. Better if you do this at night too. If you do the same on the front door you can obviously see it is a speaker.

I came to this thread because I’m not impressed with the 21 speaker ML system upgrade either. But I only have had my GX for a couple weeks. However, I’m confused by some of the posts. There is a WORKING subwoofer and speakers on the back hatch. They are not dummy. I can hear and feel them (bass) very clearly.
All of the GX’s have an ML system. But there is a premium 21 speaker system vs the base ML 10 speaker system. You have to buy the upgrade which I think is only available on the Luxury plus.

So while I don’t the new Premium ML is anywhere near what prior generations had (we had a 2017 LX that sounded amazing), I don’t think it’s due to omission of speakers.

I came to this thread because I’m not impressed with the 21 speaker ML system upgrade either. But I only have had my GX for a couple weeks. However, I’m confused by some of the posts. There is a WORKING subwoofer and speakers on the back hatch. They are not dummy. I can hear and feel them (bass) very clearly.
All of the GX’s have an ML system. But there is a premium 21 speaker system vs the base ML 10 speaker system. You have to buy the upgrade which I think is only available on the Luxury plus.

So while I don’t the new Premium ML is anywhere near what prior generations had (we had a 2017 LX that sounded amazing), I don’t think it’s due to omission of speakers.
I meant to say Luxury and above trim. I have the OT+ with the upgrade.

I meant to say Luxury and above trim. I have the OT+ with the upgrade.
One more thing if helpful as we all rack our brains on this audio system. We have a ‘23 LX with the ML as well. It’s on par with the new GX ML 21 speaker system. I do think the quality of the system has gone down tremendously from prior premium ML generations. It’s proven now in two newer models we have. We have had prior GX (‘12 and still have an ‘09) and prior LX (‘17 570) and they are/were the exceptionably better. C’mon Lexus! What did you do!

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)