Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

I think the ML system sounds pretty neutral stock, like my studio speakers. I tuned it a bit through the UI which made it sound much better though I think they should add more than 3 ranges, maybe in an advanced screen.

I thought the B&O system in my 2021 Q5 was better with no adjustments, but I feel like they are pretty close overall if you feel comfortable adjusting more than volume.

I think the ML system sounds pretty neutral stock, like my studio speakers. I tuned it a bit through the UI which made it sound much better though I think they should add more than 3 ranges, maybe in an advanced screen.

I thought the B&O system in my 2021 Q5 was better with no adjustments, but I feel like they are pretty close overall if you feel comfortable adjusting more than volume.
This one will turn into who likes this wine or whisky better. I prefer the neutral sound while some want the car to shake. It’s all in how it sounds to the individual.

Last edited:
This one will turn into who likes this wine or whisky better. I prefer the neutral sound while some want the car to shake. It’s all in how it spunds.
I will see when I get my GX what the sounds like, can always add a bass speaker, mid and tweeter later

I've been messing around with the system, using a few measurement microphones and seeing how this thing was tuned. If you've used grado/beyerdynamic headphones, this is a very similar sound signature. A lot of bright highs (which goes hand in hand with the amount of midrange/tweeters that are in the car) and a slight lack of bass.

I've been able to get a neutral to slightly v-shaped tune by adjusting the bass slider to around 3/4ths, the midrange at half mark or slightly below, and the treble at the half mark. Some tracks do better with the treble around 3/8ths and similar or slightly higher mids.

The audio logic does not really like being outside of surround mode, but you can try flipping the option on or off according to your taste.

Last edited:
Just got our GX, or my wife’s I should say and when sitting in the front, I think it sounds pretty good after hitting the EQ a little bit. That said, in the rear it sounds awful! Like it’s broke or something.

I moved the sound around and put it on only in the rear and its as anemic as you could possible get. Put it back in the middle where it should and went and sat in the rear, and it is just not good back there. All the sound comes from the front the rear speakers, barely put out any sound.

Soundstage belongs out front. Designed that way on purpose. You’ll have to gut the system and bypass what Lexus sound engineers tuned into the ML system if you prefer heavy rear fill.
Certainly won’t be doing any upgrade. Sounds very good to me in the front two seats but back seat sounds like ass for the money. Definitely disappointing for the money but I won’t be back there.

Just got our GX, or my wife’s I should say and when sitting in the front, I think it sounds pretty good after hitting the EQ a little bit. That said, in the rear it sounds awful! Like it’s broke or something.

I moved the sound around and put it on only in the rear and its as anemic as you could possible get. Put it back in the middle where it should and went and sat in the rear, and it is just not good back there. All the sound comes from the front the rear speakers, barely put out any sound.
Sitting in the back seat, I made this adjustment with the eq, surround mode on, and the fade slider 1-2 clicks back. It seems to have filled out nicely.

I imagine one could get creative and purchase the land cruiser rear door woofers where we currently have blanks on ours and connect it to fill it out?

Attachments

• IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 23
Sitting in the back seat, I made this adjustment with the eq, surround mode on, and the fade slider 1-2 clicks back. It seems to have filled out nicely.

I imagine one could get creative and purchase the land cruiser rear door woofers where we currently have blanks on ours and connect it to fill it out?
I have it set for one click towards the back. My mid and bass are the same as yours as well but I have the treble almost all the way up.

Hating this sound system so much.
Where did they put 21 speakers if they left out the rear doors !?!?
5 of the speakers are combo tweeter/midrange. This is not including the additional 8 tweeters and 8 midranges in the doors. With only two woofers and a subwoofer, this creates a very bright system and I would really hesitate to have the treble/midrange settings above the middle mark for many people.

5 of the speakers are combo tweeter/midrange. This is not including the additional 8 tweeters and 8 midranges in the doors. With only two woofers and a subwoofer, this creates a very bright system and I would really hesitate to have the treble/midrange settings above the middle mark for many people.
I actually really like the treble almost all the way up. Sounds very crisp but not harsh. In the front two seats I still think it sounds great. That I can hold onto since I will most likely always be there. Would definitely be disappointed sitting in the back though.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back