Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

I have the GX 550 OT+ with the ML sound system. I will probably take it to my high quality local audio shop to see if they can add an underseat subwoofer and add/replace high quality speakers in the rear passenger doors or back, so that I can get a more enveloping sound as the driver. I like the ML sound (it's balanced, not "wow"), but dislike the "front stage only" approach when I'm driving solo. I'd prefer a more balanced front-to-back 'surround' than the ML was designed to give.
I tried this and they didn't want to touch, since it could void warranty.

I tried this and they didn't want to touch, since it could void warranty.
Should not be an issue per consumer law unless Lexus can show that the aftermarket work caused the damage, and then it’s limited to only the affected system.

Quote:
“if someone installs a defective aftermarket or recycled part, or doesn’t install a part correctly, it could damage a part that the warranty covers. If that happens, the manufacturer or dealer can deny warranty coverage for the damaged part and charge you for repairs. The manufacturer or dealer must prove the aftermarket or recycled part caused the damage before they can deny warranty coverage.

The warranty company could ask for your maintenance records. Keep records of repairs and maintenance like oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. The records will be helpful if you have to use your warranty and show that you properly maintained your vehicle. Otherwise, your claim might be denied.”

It just depends what you are solving for. Do you ride alone? I’d prefer a centered sound stage directly in front of me in that scenario. With passengers, that changes. I was not very impressed with the ML system in the overtrail+s at the dealership, but it wasn’t bad. Just disappointing after stepping out of an xc90 t8 w/ the bowers system. You can press a button and change the soundstage to driver focused (centered in front of driver, sounding like it is emanating from a location at the windshield or even a little further out over the hood) or shared for passengers, for example.

It is miles ahead of the system in my ‘24 Wrangler, on the other hand.

I no longer attempt to beat nature and just accept cars are big glass cages with terrible acoustics, and good enough is good enough. I’m not putting up acoustic panels in a GX. 🤣 The XC90 B&W system is the closest I’ve heard to “good” from a factory system, but $2k in a home setup absolutely demolishes it. The ML in the GX is definitely worse, but still a lot better than many other vehicles. I would have expected more, in an $80k vehicle, personally, but I would still buy the vehicle in spite of this.
Thx, appreciate the perspective. Just need help/therapy accepting that the "upgraded" audio system fell way short of expectations on my first-time, new car purchase. The salt in the wound is the upgraded luggage rack begins to howl above 40mph..... but that's another post. Lexus under-delivered.

Thx, appreciate the perspective. Just need help/therapy accepting that the "upgraded" audio system fell way short of expectations on my first-time, new car purchase. The salt in the wound is the upgraded luggage rack begins to howl above 40mph..... but that's another post. Lexus under-delivered.
I believe the luggage rack is also correctable with windshield in the front and back, which is what third-party luggage racks. I removed my luggage rack and will try to sell it when there are more of these in the Bay Area. I just don’t have any use for a luggage rack, but it was already on the car

I’m not too disappointed in the sound, because it is objectively good. But I want it to be better, and I will probably pay for it to get closer to my own needs just like I did in my last cars.

My 2 cents:
1. There definitely is an issue with the sound in the car (still trying to reach someone from Lexus / Harman Kardon)
2. How do I know? I have both a high end system at home (KEF LS 50W, universally impressed people with clarity and quality) and I measured the damn thing and it looks funny (see my post on AV Nirvana: Help with mysterious sound issue with Lexus RX 350h 2024 Mark Levinson 21 speakers)

Will keep looking into it, but yes the quality is somehow compromised.

I've
My 2 cents:
1. There definitely is an issue with the sound in the car (still trying to reach someone from Lexus / Harman Kardon)
2. How do I know? I have both a high end system at home (KEF LS 50W, universally impressed people with clarity and quality) and I measured the damn thing and it looks funny (see my post on AV Nirvana: Help with mysterious sound issue with Lexus RX 350h 2024 Mark Levinson 21 speakers)

Will keep looking into it, but yes the quality is somehow compromised.
I've taken mine to the dealer for review, then reported to Lexus where a case was created. I just called 25-LEXUS back and she escalated my case to a Case Manager to call me back. My case is for the Mark Lev system and the hood flutter at highway speeds.

New OT+ owner here. Seems like I have the same issues with sound as others in this thread. If I adjust the fader to the rear, I lose the low-end. The larger speaker in the tailgate does appear to produce bass, but not nearly enough to compensate for the extreme differential.

Seated in the 2nd row, you can barely tell the sub is working in the tailgate. What I've done to sort of compensate is to increase the bass levels while also pushing the fader 1 to 2 clicks toward the rear. I need to experiment more with this, but it seems to at-least push the rear sub a tad-harder while reducing the burden on the front. Feels less forward focused.

I was expecting something better than this. /sigh

New OT+ owner here. Seems like I have the same issues with sound as others in this thread. If I adjust the fader to the rear, I lose the low-end. The larger speaker in the tailgate does appear to produce bass, but not nearly enough to compensate for the extreme differential.

Seated in the 2nd row, you can barely tell the sub is working in the tailgate. What I've done to sort of compensate is to increase the bass levels while also pushing the fader 1 to 2 clicks toward the rear. I need to experiment more with this, but it seems to at-least push the rear sub a tad-harder while reducing the burden on the front. Feels less forward focused.

I was expecting something better than this. /sigh
Same experience in my OT+. If this was the factory stereo, I would just roll my eyes. But this is the $1100 upgrade??

I thought it might have to do with the source as Carplay, but does not seem so.

The Tesla Model 3 system is vastly superior.

I have a high end system at home, which I don’t expect it to perform as well. However, I’m not looking for butt shaking bass.

I’m thinking of adding a powerful 10” subwoofer to the passenger side behind the wheel well and then also adding some beefy midrange speakers to the rear doors.
Let us know how that ends up working with the factory system. I would love to do the same, but it doesn’t seem like it’s easy.

Agreed and I feel this was evident on my ML sound system. Checked my settings today. I have the surround sound on, treble down one click, mids and bass left alone. My first review of the car was very negative on the ML. 1600 miles later and I'm a big fan and think you get what you paid for in the $1k upgrade (ie an audio shop would not take the base stereo and do a better upgrade for $1k).
We cannot even get the ML sound system as an option on the GX OT here in Australia, stuck with the standard audio, what is the quality of this one like? I am a massive thrash and heavy metal fan, (korn bass and thrash double heavy drumming), I worry the cones will bounce out if I played any Sepultura! 😀

Let us know how that ends up working with the factory system. I would love to do the same, but it doesn’t seem like it’s easy.
Yeah sounds like a plan, you will have to send some pics and specs when finished. Would like to learn from each other on the forum. 👍👍👍

Yeah sounds like a plan, you will have to send some pics and specs when finished. Would like to learn from each other on the forum. 👍👍👍
I definitely will once I do, if I do, but it probably isn't going to be for a while. Gotta wait for my suspension evaluation from Lexus Corporate first before I start cutting up the interior. I am also looking at installing two sliding drawers in the rear. Measured this today, and looks like I'd still have around 25" or so of vertical clearance if I did drawer boxes that are basically level with the rear seats when their backs are folded down, but not flipped up. I would assume that third party companies will have some of these setups out soon.

I definitely will once I do, if I do, but it probably isn't going to be for a while. Gotta wait for my suspension evaluation from Lexus Corporate first before I start cutting up the interior. I am also looking at installing two sliding drawers in the rear. Measured this today, and looks like I'd still have around 25" or so of vertical clearance if I did drawer boxes that are basically level with the rear seats when their backs are folded down, but not flipped up. I would assume that third party companies will have some of these setups out soon.
Yeah here in Australia it won’t take long before there are plug in and play roller kitchens and fridge draws. There are some sick slim line lithium batteries that can be used with some solar to power the fridge. Outer limits from Brisbane was just fitting out his wife’s Land Cruiser but you could do something similar in the back of the GX:
sounds great, you should have a look at revolution lithium, it’s slimline batteries you can slot down the side of the kitchen drawers if you want to have a pull out fridge powered by solar, have a look at this vid from Brisbane, 34 mins in:
Easy setup with the power converters on the side.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)