Modification and accessory advice

TFlyfisher

Jul 25, 2024
Media
Virginia
Just picked up my OT+ and really want to use it well - mostly off-roading to get to fishing, hiking and camping but will look at overlanding in the future.
Coming from a Bronco and 4Runner for a decade prior (loved both)

I am looking for sources for and real world experience with the following.

-Rock rails/sliders that protect and allow roof access (step)
-Roof rack w comments on gas and noise impacts (this is the loudest OEM rail and crossbar system I have experienced)
-front license plate relocate bracket
-center console tray for cool box

Thank you!

Just picked up my OT+ and really want to use it well - mostly off-roading to get to fishing, hiking and camping but will look at overlanding in the future.

-Roof rack w comments on gas and noise impacts (this is the loudest OEM rail and crossbar system I have experienced)

Thank you!
Also not sure where I would store the fly rods and gear in the one in the left. Never seen inside one so can’t really say.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpeg
    IMG_2076.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 128
I had dealer not install front license plate bracket. LOVE the cool box— gets very cold quickly!!!
They require the front plate in NJ but I have seen more and more folks with jersey plates running without it over the last couple years that I haven't put mine on yet because it looks so much cleaner without it. I do have a nagging fear though that I am going to attract unwanted attention and will likely fold and just put it on at some point.

I have the Westcott Designs roof rack and it simply does not make any noise. It's very low profile - it sits maybe a 16th or a 32nd of an inch below the shark fin antenna so it doesn't impact your clearance at all. For $995 from Westcott it's inexpensive too compared to the other options...many hundreds of dollars less. It's light too at 47 lbs. For other very nice options, check out Victory 4x4, Dissent, or Prinsu.

Lexus GX 550 Full Length Modular Roof Rack - Westcott Designs

I have the stock rock rails on my Overtrail and I'm also on the hunt for nice, simple, flat-step running board-rock rails. My wife and kids need a step up into the truck and I wouldn't mind one too. A good step is also needed to help with roof rack access.

Westcott has step-sliders for the new Land Cruiser but they aren't advertising them yet for the GX. I'm not a huge fan of their LC sliders. In my opinion, the Dissent sliders look the best - simple, flat, grip-tape top. They advertise them for the new LC but I think they fit the GX too. They are expensive. NYTOP also has some nice flat sliders but they are a little goofy looking. Maybe replace the top triangle plate with a flat piece of metal and grip tape it.

LC250 Step Sliders

2024-Current Lexus GX550/Toyota Land Cruiser Rock Sliders — NYTOP | Not Your Typical Original Parts

Thank you!
I have a prinsu rr with rigid 40” spot/flood light bar big fan love cool box can’t speak of the other things

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2473.jpeg
    IMG_2473.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 102
I have the Westcott Designs roof rack and it simply does not make any noise. It's very low profile - it sits maybe a 16th or a 32nd of an inch below the shark fin antenna so it doesn't impact your clearance at all. For $995 from Westcott it's inexpensive too compared to the other options...many hundreds of dollars less. It's light too at 47 lbs. For other very nice options, check out Victory 4x4, Dissent, or Prinsu.

Lexus GX 550 Full Length Modular Roof Rack - Westcott Designs

I have the stock rock rails on my Overtrail and I'm also on the hunt for nice, simple, flat-step running board-rock rails. My wife and kids need a step up into the truck and I wouldn't mind one too. A good step is also needed to help with roof rack access.

Westcott has step-sliders for the new Land Cruiser but they aren't advertising them yet for the GX. I'm not a huge fan of their LC sliders. In my opinion, the Dissent sliders look the best - simple, flat, grip-tape top. They advertise them for the new LC but I think they fit the GX too. They are expensive. NYTOP also has some nice flat sliders but they are a little goofy looking. Maybe replace the top triangle plate with a flat piece of metal and grip tape it.

LC250 Step Sliders

2024-Current Lexus GX550/Toyota Land Cruiser Rock Sliders — NYTOP | Not Your Typical Original Parts

Thanks for the reassurance on the noise. I just got through assembling my westcott full roof rack. My car is in the shop getting clear wrapped and ceramic coated. Will have it back in 3 days. Any quirks or suggestions about installing the rack. I say the westcott youtube on the installation.

Thanks for the reassurance on the noise. I just got through assembling my westcott full roof rack. My car is in the shop getting clear wrapped and ceramic coated. Will have it back in 3 days. Any quirks or suggestions about installing the rack. I say the westcott youtube on the installation.
I had Westcott install the rack when it was in for the pre-load collar lift, wheels, and tires. I've partially disassembled the rack to measure the dimensions of the tracks in the crossbars and it's very basic Lego-type architecture.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)