OT rack noise solution (it works!)

ksj

Jul 20, 2024
Media
PNW
Like many I have removed the strip at the bottom of the leading edge of the rack, but once you hit 55 it is still noisy. I saw a suggestion to try string around the leading edge, so I thought it was worth $7 to give it a try. I put it around the leading edge and first cross bar.

It works! I pretty much can't hear the rack now at 60 and barely hear it at 75. I think I'm going to get some black ABS 3D filament and glue it to the bottom every couple inches at a angle instead. My understanding is that the noise is from the underside.
001 - 1 (2).jpeg

Edit - It's just black paracord btw.

I've seen a lot of racks wrapped in paracord like that - only they are wrapped a little tighter - with less spacing between the runs of cord. You're just breaking up the airflow.

Yes and congrats! I used paracord on my van rack and I used fewer wraps than you did. I also created more of a spiral/angled wrap. Not sure what works best but my rack went from noisy to nothing noticed at all. And it's easy to play around with it for best results. Glad it worked for you.

Reactions: ksj
I've seen a lot of racks wrapped in paracord like that - only they are wrapped a little tighter - with less spacing between the runs of cord. You're just breaking up the airflow.
Well yes. The point is to break up the airflow to reduce/eliminate the noise.

I still have the original strip that was up there. I'm going to put it back on (without the cord), then cut some channels in it to see if that has the same effect.

I removed the paracord and put the strip up but with ~2.75" sections with ~.25" between them. The rack pretty much doesn't make any noise until I'm 55-60. I'm going to cut those 2.75" as well as see if there is further improvement.

I tried to angle the cuts back and forth a bit, but it was kind of on the fly. I want to get the part number of the strip so I can get a replacement, then I can make the cuts even and angle them back and forth a bit more. It is a bit difficult to get accurate cuts with the glue side already exposed. If you want to try this I would just cut out the sections using a sharp razor while it is still on the rack if you can.

I saw someone ask about this in another thread and can't find it now...

Any formal way to submit feedback to Lexus? I love the look, but the sound is annoying. Wondering if they'll develop a fix with enough customer feedback. This is the #1 complaint I'm hearing by far outside of no sliding rear seat.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back