OT Roof Rack

In what I think is a pretty big failure, the rack can't be slid back and forth as I understand it. There are indents on the rails and the top part that need to match up.
Oh really- I didn’t realize that. I assumed it would slide back more. I feel like I’ve seen some that are more back than mine. I guess not.

Oh really- I didn’t realize that. I assumed it would slide back more. I feel like I’ve seen some that are more back than mine. I guess not.
Maybe there are. My salesman showed me that on the test vehicle how it was moved up because of the rear door spoiler. Maybe it can be manipulated, but I don’t think so.

I'm in the same situation - delivery in the next week with a $1,580 accessory that I don't want/need. If anyone wants it, I'll make you a screaming deal. You'd need to be in the Atlanta area to pick it up.

SOLVED! Well at least drastically improved. I have the OT roof rack and I had removed it to reduce wind noise. It has just been sitting in my barn taking up space, so I decided to try it on the GX again. Reinstalled and drove it on the highway today, but same annoying noise over 52mph. When I reinstalled it my wife commented how much cooler the GX looks with it on, but conceded the wind noise was pretty annoying. I was going to take it back off today, but I was looking at it and I noticed that it has a rubber sort of trim strip along the underside of the front edge. I pulled down on the corner and it is just adhered on the roof rack with a sticky backside. I decided to peel it off and just see if it made any difference. IT DID! I drove it again on the highway and now I really can't hear it under 68mph and even up into the upper 70s it was only moderately noisy. My son was with me and he said he didn't really think much about it now and that it was so much less annoying than it was with that strip. I actually think it looks a little sleeker too, but ultimately it is so much nicer to drive that I'm going to leave it on for now and see how it goes. If you have a rubber strip along the leading edge of your OT rack it might be worth giving it a try to remove it and let us know if you get the same improvement.

SOLVED! Well at least drastically improved. I have the OT roof rack and I had removed it to reduce wind noise. It has just been sitting in my barn taking up space, so I decided to try it on the GX again. Reinstalled and drove it on the highway today, but same annoying noise over 52mph. When I reinstalled it my wife commented how much cooler the GX looks with it on, but conceded the wind noise was pretty annoying. I was going to take it back off today, but I was looking at it and I noticed that it has a rubber sort of trim strip along the underside of the front edge. I pulled down on the corner and it is just adhered on the roof rack with a sticky backside. I decided to peel it off and just see if it made any difference. IT DID! I drove it again on the highway and now I really can't hear it under 68mph and even up into the upper 70s it was only moderately noisy. My son was with me and he said he didn't really think much about it now and that it was so much less annoying than it was with that strip. I actually think it looks a little sleeker too, but ultimately it is so much nicer to drive that I'm going to leave it on for now and see how it goes. If you have a rubber strip along the leading edge of your OT rack it might be worth giving it a try to remove it and let us know if you get the same improvement.
Cool! Very interesting!

Holy crap. I just took mine off today and just went to look at it in the garage. It also has that strip on there with adhesive. Can’t imagine what purpose it would serve …

I'll have to try this in the morning. While I am getting used to it, the noise can suddenly be really loud. Hope this works.

Very interesting. Good discovery!

Coincidentally, yesterday I noticed that strip of rubber as well when I was at Home Depot and looking to put stuff on the rack. And wondered why they applied it.

My only thought is it’s intended to protect the paint or any damage that might happen if the rack is set on the roof during installation.

Glad to know it helps reduce the noise! Anyone else try it yet?

Well I removed the strip and it does make a bit of a difference, though in a cross wind the rack is still loud. It used to be objectionable about 40, now about 55-60.

Attachments

• 20240813_092255.jpg
    20240813_092255.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 69
  • 20240813_092157.jpg
    20240813_092157.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 65
I definitely didn’t notice that strip when I took off my rack (doesn’t fit in the garage, learned the hard way…). Here’s a close up of the plastic strip on mine which now collects dust in the shed

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpeg
    IMG_1817.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 63
I wonder how it would sound with that strip still in place but someone slicing off that bottom lip on it. It seems like that lip might be the cause of some noise. If its just rubber, a good sharp knife should be able to slice that bottom lip cleanly off.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)