Overtrail Roof Rack - Noise Reductions?

YellowLab

May 13, 2024
Media
Southern California
Hello:

Checking to see if anyone has cracked the nut on the roof rack and noise. Hearing (not pun intended) that the rack at higher speeds is noisy - and looking for ways to mitigate since removing one from a new car (unless the dealer plays ball) might be tough to do. If I'm stuck with it - did not know if anyone had noise reduction ideas.

I never really noticed a lot o noise when I had mine on. I took it off around 500 miles.. I live along to coast in southern Cal and get a lot of wind resistance so wind noise is pretty common with or without the rack

I followed one of the suggestions in another thread around pulling off the black plastic strip under the front of the rack and that did help a lot. It still makes noise, but not as loud or consistent.

I agree taking off that piece really helps like a lot and that piece came off so easily it makes me wonder if the dealer should of taken it off before sale

Mine just peeled off so easily and no change in appearance. I’m guessing it was to protect the roof surface while installing the rack.

Finally had enough of the roof rack wind noise. Pulled off the rack this morning in about 30 minutes. Noise is gone. I'd thought about adding a Prinsu roof rack, but I think I will just hold onto this one and in the "rare" event that I go tent camping and need the rack, I will just throw it back on there. I'd rather spend the money on a leveling kit and bigger tires.

Last edited:
Finally had enough of the roof rack wind noise. Pulled off the rack this morning in about 30 minutes. Noise is gone. I'd thought about adding a Prinsu roof rack, but I think I will just hold onto this one and in the "rare" event that I go tint camping and need the rack, I will just throw it back on there. I'd rather spend the money on a leveling kit and bigger tires.
Since Lexus was able to enhance the sound of the engine over the stereo system, we can play hurricane and tornado noises non stop/loudly the same was to cover up the wind noise of the rack

I had them turn off the fake engine roar at my 5,000 mile service last week. It sounds perfectly fine in Sport+ mode without the fake noises. I wonder if a Borla or Flowmaster exhaust would make it sound better - I had a Borla on an old Land Rover and it sounded great, but there was more 35% more displacement and 2 additional cylinders running through it vs. the GX550.

Since Lexus was able to enhance the sound of the engine over the stereo system, we can play hurricane and tornado noises non stop/loudly the same was to cover up the wind noise of the rack
No doubt that you can cover up the wind noise with stereo or fake engine noise, but I want to be able to carry on a conversation at highway speeds, without yelling!! LOL

I had them turn off the fake engine roar at my 5,000 mile service last week. It sounds perfectly fine in Sport+ mode without the fake noises. I wonder if a Borla or Flowmaster exhaust would make it sound better - I had a Borla on an old Land Rover and it sounded great, but there was more 35% more displacement and 2 additional cylinders running through it vs. the GX550.
The dealer has to do this?? Interesting

Didn't know the fake engine noises could be turned off! Will have to remember this along with disabling the seatbelt chime next time it's at the dealer.

I followed one of the suggestions in another thread around pulling off the black plastic strip under the front of the rack and that did help a lot. It still makes noise, but not as loud or consistent.
Is that the kinda rubber looking piece that looks like a windshield wiper blade?

Unfortunately, I had to turn the volume to 40 to cover up the noise. It's a non-issue now that it's sitting in my garage.

I did wrap the front 'blade' of the OT Roof rack with black 4mm paracord from Amazon. Noticed a significant noise reduction when getting above 50mph - about 40-50% quieter. I'll need to clean up the alignment - but so far pleased with the result

However the increased drag and weight will now cost me a .0003mpg efficiency loss which in this car is huge...

Attachments

• IMG_9133.jpeg
    IMG_9133.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 33
I tried removing the rubber gasket/blade on the underneath of the front edge, and definite reduction in wind noise. Was quite surprised at how easily it peeled off, and makes me wonder if the observed lack of adhesive at the leading edge of that rubber piece creates some of the noise.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back