🛠️ Member Build Overtrail Updgrades

�Member Build

Bluegill

🏆 GX of the Month
Jul 16, 2024
Media
Scottsdale, AZ
I picked up my Overtrail here in Arizona on June 7, 2024. I had Westcott Designs in Phoenix install their preload collar lift kit, their full length modular roof rack, 17" Method 703 wheels (titanium color, +35mm offset), and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires size 35X12.5R17LT (load range C). I think it turned our great, the ride is great, feels nearly the same as stock, feels a little more supple or softer than stock, and it seems like I can feel a little extra weight or inertia with the wheels & bigger tires. The stock Toyo AT3s are 265/70/18 and they weigh 44 lbs each. The 35s weigh 59 lbs each. Not sure how much the stock 18" wheels weigh compared to the 17" Methods but I'll weigh a stock 18" wheel & tire and figure out the weight of the new Method wheel & tire.

Only other changes are a hood blackout that I had a local wrap shop make for me, a touch screen protector from OCD Plug which is definitely worth it (2024+ Lexus GX 550 | 14" Main Infotainment | Matte/Anti-Glare | Screen), and an iphone wireless charger mounted in that odd space beneath the 12-volt plug (Amazon.com). The screen protector has a bunch of bubbles in the photo below but they all went away after a couple days. There is now no glare or reflection on the screen and no fingerprints. I located the wireless phone charger in this spot so that my phone can sit there and charge and I can still see it if needed (I just used double-sided tape). My truck didn't come with the stock wireless charging pad - I checked into getting the stock charging pad but the tech guy at the dealer said they are way too slow and it's better to just use the USB plugs.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $995. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've been building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

edited to update Westcott's roof rack price to $995 (not $950)

Before&After.jpg

IMG_9735.jpg

METHOD.jpg

charge.JPG

IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9776.JPG

IMG_9777.JPG

Last edited:
I picked up my Overtrail here in Arizona on June 7, 2024. I had Westcott Designs in Phoenix install their preload collar lift kit, their full length modular roof rack, 17" Method 703 wheels (titanium color, +35mm offset), and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires size 35X12.5R17LT (load range C). I think it turned our great, the ride is great, feels nearly the same as stock, feels a little more supple or softer than stock, and it seems like I can feel a little extra weight or inertia with the wheels & bigger tires. The stock Toyo AT3s are 265/70/18 and they weigh 44 lbs each. The 35s weigh 59 lbs each. Not sure how much the stock 18" wheels weigh compared to the 17" Methods but I'll weight a stock 18" wheel & tire and figure out the weight of the new Method wheel & tire.

Only other changes are a hood blackout that I had a local wrap shop make for me, a touch screen protector from OCD Plug which is definitely worth it (2024+ Lexus GX 550 | 14" Main Infotainment | Matte/Anti-Glare | Screen), and an iphone wireless charger mounted in that odd space beneath the 12-volt plug (Amazon.com). The screen protector has a bunch of bubble in the photo below but they all went away after a couple days. There is now no glare or reflection on the screen and no fingerprints. I located the wireless phone charger in this spot so that my phone can sit there and charge and I can still see it if needed (I just used double-sided tape). My truck didn't come with the stock wireless charging pad - I checked into getting the stock charging pad but the tech guy at the dealer said they are way too slow and it's better to just use the USB plugs.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $950. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
Very nice rr
I picked up my Overtrail here in Arizona on June 7, 2024. I had Westcott Designs in Phoenix install their preload collar lift kit, their full length modular roof rack, 17" Method 703 wheels (titanium color, +35mm offset), and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires size 35X12.5R17LT (load range C). I think it turned our great, the ride is great, feels nearly the same as stock, feels a little more supple or softer than stock, and it seems like I can feel a little extra weight or inertia with the wheels & bigger tires. The stock Toyo AT3s are 265/70/18 and they weigh 44 lbs each. The 35s weigh 59 lbs each. Not sure how much the stock 18" wheels weigh compared to the 17" Methods but I'll weight a stock 18" wheel & tire and figure out the weight of the new Method wheel & tire.

Only other changes are a hood blackout that I had a local wrap shop make for me, a touch screen protector from OCD Plug which is definitely worth it (2024+ Lexus GX 550 | 14" Main Infotainment | Matte/Anti-Glare | Screen), and an iphone wireless charger mounted in that odd space beneath the 12-volt plug (Amazon.com). The screen protector has a bunch of bubble in the photo below but they all went away after a couple days. There is now no glare or reflection on the screen and no fingerprints. I located the wireless phone charger in this spot so that my phone can sit there and charge and I can still see it if needed (I just used double-sided tape). My truck didn't come with the stock wireless charging pad - I checked into getting the stock charging pad but the tech guy at the dealer said they are way too slow and it's better to just use the USB plugs.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $950. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
very nice rr

Fantastic job with all the mods! That collar lift kit and wheels/tires look like you have just the right amount of lift to still keep a decent amount of droop and increase clearance to a respectable level.

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
I'll be working with Dissent Off-Road to get a set of their bumpers late summer/early fall, so they should be ready for the market by EOY! They are absolutely the BEST of the BEST. I had them on my '23 Sequoia as well. Hell, check them out on IG and you can see what he's already done to his new LC as well.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $995. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've been building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

edited to update Westcott's roof rack price to $995 (not $950)

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
Could you please share your thoughts on the Westcott roof rack system? Does the wind deflector work well? How is the noise at highway speeds?

Could you please share your thoughts on the Westcott roof rack system? Does the wind deflector work well? How is the noise at highway speeds?
Absolutely no noise. I'm very surprised. I had full racks on my 3 Land Rovers and wind noise was just something with which you had to deal.

I had the stock cross bars on the is GX and they were very noisy. I removed the stock cross bars and stock roof rails and sold them to a guy with a new Land Cruiser. The parts are interchangeable between the new LC and the GX.

Really cool looking. I'm thinking of doing the same now that I have seen yours. I spoke to Wescott this morning and am putting together my build so they can order the parts. Once the parts come in I will drive from San Diego to Phoenix to get the work done. Right now I have the Overtrail roof rack and it is noisy. One difference is that I do have the sun roof but I'm assuming there is a configuration of the roof rack that will work. Thank you for the great ideas.

Really cool looking. I'm thinking of doing the same now that I have seen yours. I spoke to Wescott this morning and am putting together my build so they can order the parts. Once the parts come in I will drive from San Diego to Phoenix to get the work done. Right now I have the Overtrail roof rack and it is noisy. One difference is that I do have the sun roof but I'm assuming there is a configuration of the roof rack that will work. Thank you for the great ideas.
Sure thing, happy to share the info. Please tell Westcott that I referred you!

Awesome. The roof rack looks great. Any idea if it's up to the task of mounting a burly 270 awning like a Bush Co or Alu Cab?
I don't see why not, it's very sturdy. It mounts to the stock mounting holes on the roof. There are 6 bolts on each side so 12 total. The bolts are very substantial, too. Much beefier than the full rack on my LR4 (and the LR4 only had 8 bolts total).

front rail1.jpg

front rail4.jpg

mid rail2.jpg

front rail5.jpg

Attachments

• rear rail1.jpg
    rear rail1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 522
Good looking build! :cool:

I really like the look of that full length roof rack. When we saw a few GX's at the dealer last week, they had the PIO racks behind the moonroof. Wife said she liked the look, but I told her those make too much noise and it'll drive us nuts on road trips (I've had a bunch of racks over the years on trucks, and she's forgotten how bad they howl on the highway). BUT, if that Westcott is fairly quiet, that may be the way to go. We're still waiting, (and may be for a while) because we want an Overtrail + WITHOUT moonroof, cool box, & a couple of the "nanny" options.

It sounds funny but the only option I really wanted was a non-option, the moonroof delete. I hate sunroofs/moonroofs. They lower the interior overhead clearance, they let too much light and heat in, they leak, they break, etc. I have a 2-seater convertible for when I want to roast in the sun!

By the way, this Westcott rack makes no noticeable noise even at 90 mph. I really can't believe it. I've had roof racks on my old Jeep and 3 Rovers and even with wind fairings they all made noise.

IMG_9778.JPG

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back