Premium Plus vs. Overtrail

Trac1

May 19, 2024
Ohio
I am on waiting list for a Premium Plus, but am also considering an Overtrail. They are both priced more of less the same.

I don't need a third row on the premium plus and I also don't need all the off road capabilities of the Overtrail. I do live in the snowbelt in Northeast Ohio, but I think either one will be fine for that. Has anyone driven both to tell me about the quietness and ride difference? I can't seem to see a lot of difference other than the tires/suspension etc... and the black trim on the exterior vs. color matched on the premium plus. Appreciate any opinions to help me decide. Thanks

I certainly haven’t experienced either one yet. Sitting back though from here I just like the OT look. Even if my off-roading is a curb at the mall.

This comparison chart is for Alberta so might differ in some details, but the OT seems to miss out on acoustic glass (unless of course you spend more for OT+) so there could be a difference in quietness. Not sure whether or not it’d be noticeable.

Attachments

• Lexus_Packages_Comparison_2024_GX_550_2024-01-09.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 93
Not sure if you have decided - which one did you finally get? I think you lose a lot of features with the base Overtrail compared to Premium +, especially if you don't need all of the off road features. I have not driven an Overtrail to compare with the Premium + I test drove, but all terrain tires will be noticeably noisier and harsher than on road tires from other vehicles I have driven. You also get worse MPG with AT tires due to their weight. It might not make that much of a difference if you had the Overtrail and don't have a Premium + to compare.. :)

I test drove a premium plus for a super short test drive 2-3 months ago and an overtrail last week. The overtrail had the vibration so I am thinking about just waiting to see how this plays out.

I have the OT have just over 700m. We had a prem + on order but really wanted the OT and was able to get one on a canceled order. The OT I have does not have the vibration that many talk about and I really like the wheels / tires on the OT and the back trim. I plan on doing some off-roading but it will spend most of the time on the pavement. It handles and drives great on the streets and hwy. I live out in the country and drive windy country roads to get to hwy to go into town. I am coming from a 2013 GX and the 550 OT drives nicer than the 2013 does. It really depends on what you like and your needs. The Prem + is still a very capable 4x4 it just does not have all the off road features of the OT but it will still work off road or in the snow. They all have Toyota's ATRAC (Auto traction control) system on a full time 4 wheel drive system with both 4h / 4l, descent assist with a center locking diff. You can take the prem + and put different wheels/ tires on it and even a lift if you want to run larger tires.

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: MJE
I had to make the same decision you are faced with. I used many of the posts on this site to help me make a decision. I do not have any plans for significant off road adventures. I like the looks of the OT with the more aggressive tires but want the best ride out of the vehicle that I can get. I had concerns that the 22" wheels may reduce ride quality. I did not see big benefits for my driving needs to go with the advanced suspension systems and felt keeping it simple may be best for me. I decided to go with the Premium + which is expected in about 5 weeks. Hopefully everyone's posts will help you make your decision.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)