Prices on Used GX550's

May 30, 2024
Media
Katy, TX
I just did a search on Car.com and was shocked on what dealerships are asking for the used GX's. You could flip one and land in a LX for not much more out of pocket. I still prefer the looks of the GX.
1721245232803.png

I was told that some (shady) dealerships are actually doing deals where they sell a GX, or other high demand vehicle like Land Cruiser, to a customer at MSRP, then the customer immediately trades it in on another vehicle, and now the dealership can sell the "used" vehicle for more than MSRP without the same scrutiny as selling a new vehicle with a dealer markup. In some cases the dealership may say new vehicles are "never over MSRP", so this solve that problem for them. I guess I was fortunate to get my OT for MSRP from a good dealership.

I was told that some (shady) dealerships are actually doing deals where they sell a GX, or other high demand vehicle like Land Cruiser, to a customer at MSRP, then the customer immediately trades it in on another vehicle, and now the dealership can sell the "used" vehicle for more than MSRP without the same scrutiny as selling a new vehicle with a dealer markup. In some cases the dealership may say new vehicles are "never over MSRP", so this solve that problem for them. I guess I was fortunate to get my OT for MSRP from a good dealership.
It's been like that for years on the higher end vehicles. Porsche dealers could not add significant mark-up to a GT3 RS, but ones with 120 miles sell at the local dealer for $450K+

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)