Removing the roof rack Luxury GX 550

ckjk

Sep 24, 2024
Oklahoma
Has anyone removed the roof rack on a Luxury GX 550?
I want to remove it but I’m not sure how or if it will leave gaps on the rails where it was attached. 🤷‍♀️

Well, that’s all I got too! 😏
Hopefully someone can show us what the tool looks like and give us some instructions!

When I got my lux + the dealer provided a kit with the tool, instructions and the plastic covers. It’s pretty easy took me 10 minutes to remove my rails.
Could you share the instructions and what the tool looks like please?
All I got was the four covers.

Unfortunately I am in southern cabin vacation, won’t be back at my domicile until next week, I can get you pictures of the tool and instructions. I know the tool is a torx bit.

If I remember correctly each end of the roof rack has a removable plastic cover, remove the cover and the screws, roof rack comes out. The covers that you found fit the openings where the roof rack was at.

Thanks. I am trying to remove these covers but they dont budge. Any more force, I will end up breaking them. Need to know how they clip in.
I have this video but its for the Overtrail and the rails are different than the Luxury. But it might help.

At 15:10 mark, they make it look so easy but in my case, that cover doesn't come off.
I believe that is the first step on a Luxury ?
We haven’t tried to remove ours yet, hopefully it won’t be a problem. I’ll let you know after we try.

Pictures of removal kit attached with instructions and picture of the removal tool. Also picture of the four screws removed from roof rack.

Attachments

• IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1653.jpeg
    IMG_1653.jpeg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1651.jpeg
    IMG_1651.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 40
We didn’t get one of these kits but we managed to get ours off with a wrench and some help from a mechanic with a metric tool. It helped a lot with the wind noise but I still think there’s more wind noise with this GX than there was with my 2021 GX.
Thank you for the pictures

Thanks a lot for the pics. I didn't get this kit either. Maybe it's specific for cross bars and not roof rack.
I managed to get the roof rack off.
Its a little like what's shown in the YouTube video above from timestamp 15:00 except that instead of pressing the screw driver in, you need to pry it outward like a lever. It was a very hot day so I couldn't take any pictures.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back