Roof mounting gear

coffeecigars

Aug 4, 2024
Media
I have the OT roof rack and looking for the right gear to do tie downs
Does anyone have recommendations for roof rack mounts , cargo nets, bungees…….

Thank you

I used to always use the old school ratchet straps but they are a pain. I now use these much easier tie-down straps from Rhino:

1" x 12' Lashing Tie-Down Straps

The tie-down straps are much faster to use and their working load limits (440 lbs) and breaking strength (1320 lbs) should be way more than enough for roof cargo. It's not like you need ratchet straps to secure a motorcycle up there so you can drive 200 mph down the highway. The Rhino straps are very long, too long in fact, but you can trim them down to suite your needs.

I also find these Rhino straps to be incredibly convenient:

Rhino USA Soft Loop Tie-Down Straps (4-Pack)

See the photos on how to use these short straps - you can wrap them around anything and pull the strap through it's own loop and presto - you are secured to any point on your roof rack.

I also just ordered one of these long and low 83-liter hard cases from Roam.

83L Rugged Case - ROAM Adventure Co.

Yeah it's overpriced at $349 but the key features are the lid-lift pistons that pop the lid open and keep it open and the fact that their cases have little slits on each each end where you route your tie-down straps so that you can still open the lid while it's tied-down (as opposed to the typical method of throwing a tie-down strap over the case to secure it to the roof - then you have to remove the tie-down strap to open the case). I also use two Pelican 1550 cases that I've had for 20 years but you have to secure them with tie-downs over the tops of the cases. It's these little details like the lid pistons and the clever strap routing that make all the difference out in the field.

As an added bonus, Roam offers mini tie-down straps for their cases which I also ordered:

Tie Down Straps - ROAM Adventure Co.

This is all very helpful. I was hoping someone had heavy duty clips with loops So you can put bungee cords or a cargo net. Hook and go

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)