Squealing Brakes 550 Overtrail

2024 GX Driver

Jun 10, 2024
California
My brake have made loud squealing noises since delivery of my GX 550 Overtrail. I have had my car about 3 months. I had similar issues with my 4Runner TRD Off-road with KDSS. The Toyota dealer eventually replaced my brake pads and the noises went away. My Lexus dealer has had my GX for over a week and are now replacing my entire brake system - pads, rotors, even my brake lines. I thought this was excessive, but I have not been told why they are doing a complete brake replacement. Lexus obviously knows more than they are telling me. Hopefully the parts will arrive soon and I will get my GX back and the noises will stop. My GX has approximately 2500 miles on it.

My brake have made loud squealing noises since delivery of my GX 550 Overtrail. I have had my car about 3 months. I had similar issues with my 4Runner TRD Off-road with KDSS. The Toyota dealer eventually replaced my brake pads and the noises went away. My Lexus dealer has had my GX for over a week and are now replacing my entire brake system - pads, rotors, even my brake lines. I thought this was excessive, but I have not been told why they are doing a complete brake replacement. Lexus obviously knows more than they are telling me. Hopefully the parts will arrive soon and I will get my GX back and the noises will stop. My GX has approximately 2500 miles on it.
Sounds like your dealer is taking the “scorched earth” approach to problem solving🤣. At least you’ll be done with the squealing…

I noticed that my Overtrail brakes started squealing in reverse only while I was in San Diego last week. I barely drove 20 miles the whole week in SD so I attribute it to the moist salt air. I'll have to see if it's gone away now that I'm back in AZ.

I noticed that my Overtrail brakes started squealing in reverse only while I was in San Diego last week. I barely drove 20 miles the whole week in SD so I attribute it to the moist salt air. I'll have to see if it's gone away now that I'm back in AZ.
Hopefully the dry air in Arizona will stop the issue. I live at the beach in California. No other cars I have owned, besides the 4Runner, have had this problem.

gx550 premium + Florida.. big rains last couple of days and yesterday.. backing out of stable.. squeaky brakes.. today squeaky brakes

please let us know the fix

so far new pads from above poster and scorched earth repair on gx.. perhaps just some bad pads from the factory

Sounds like your dealer is taking the “scorched earth” approach to problem solving🤣. At least you’ll be done with the squealing…
My dealer has opened a service call with Lexus and is taking direction from Lexus. I don't think it's a "scorched earth" plan. It is my belief they are doing the extensive-comprehensive fix because they know what the issue is and it's beyond just replacing the brake pads.

My dealer has opened a service call with Lexus and is taking direction from Lexus. I don't think it's a "scorched earth" plan. It is my belief they are doing the extensive-comprehensive fix because they know what the issue is and it's beyond just replacing the brake pads.
Interesting that as of 5 pm est lexus did not put out notice to the dealer service network. My dealer asked if it was clear what lexus says the problem is and what corporate is telling specific dealers what to do.... He said this is typical before they send out service notices or recalls. So all the details will help get this remediate more quickly.. Maybe..

Did wet/rain cause it? I have 900 miles. And all fine until heavy rains and big puddles on road. Temp has been between 79 and 95 f

I wonder if it's a wet weather issue..
I was in San Diego all last week when the sqealing in reverse started. Must have been the humidity and salt air. I drove for the first time in the rain here in AZ last night during a monsoon storm and this morning I had only the faintest squeak in reverse and it went away before I backed all the way down my driveway.

I'm glad we have this forum. I got my OT in May and when I got it home I noticed the brakes squeaking when using them lightly in reverse and a little bit when going slowly forward sometimes too. I figured it would go away once things got worn in a little, but now I'm at 3k miles and last night backing into my garage they were still making squeaking noises. It seems like it is just the driver side front, but it's hard to be sure. My dealer is 2 hours away so I haven't discussed with them yet, but I'll plan to bring it up at my 5k service.

I will say the brakes work amazingly well. I was driving through a neighborhood, only about 20mph, and a small dog ran out from some bushes next to the road right in front of me. So close I barely saw him over the hood. I hit the brakes and stopped soooo fast. In my Tundra the dog would have been dead, so the GX has already saved one life.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
Mine only does this when backing up in morning and no other time. I attribute this to the quick overnight rust I can get being near the ocean. This happened on some earlier car (but I haven't looked to see if there is any rust on the rotors in the morning).

My dealer called me this morning and said my brakes are fixed and they installed "a new part" from Lexus. I will pick up my GX 550 Overtrail after 10 days at the dealer and see if the problem with the brakes is fixed. A few days ago the dealer loaned me a 2023 GX 460. My wife who drives a Mercedes GL 450 and a Rivian R1S drove the GX 460 and thought it lacked power and floated too much. I agree with her. I prefer my 2022 4Runner to the GX 460. I would personally not own one.

I've already serviced my GX550 twice for the break squealing since purchasing in May. My advisor stated it's a recent but known problem on this model. My advisor claims Lexus does not have any additional parts stateside so they are waiting for Toyota to confirm if they can use the Tundra brake systems as they are the same/similar. Best estimate to get the vehicle back is approximately a week.

I've already serviced my GX550 twice for the break squealing since purchasing in May. My advisor stated it's a recent but known problem on this model. My advisor claims Lexus does not have any additional parts stateside so they are waiting for Toyota to confirm if they can use the Tundra brake systems as they are the same/similar. Best estimate to get the vehicle back is approximately a week.
My service advisor mentioned "a new part" was installed. I'm not sure what part he was referencing. I am supposed to pick up my GX this afternoon and I will try and get more detailed information. If I learn anything additional I will post it.

I live on the coast and we have a beech you can drive on. I drove on the beach, my brakes are now squealing in reverse.

My dealer noted that Lexus is aware of this issue and the fix is new brake pads (possibly modified vs the original) but that Lexus has not shipped the replacements yet.

My dealer noted that Lexus is aware of this issue and the fix is new brake pads (possibly modified vs the original) but that Lexus has not shipped the replacements yet.
Before buying my GX550 OT, I was driving my F150 daily and it always embarrassingly squeezed down the driveway in reverse when I applied the brakes to slowly back out. I researched it and the cause was that I parked it outside overnight in a humid environment and water condensed on the brakes. (I live in Houston). I’ve had the GX550 for two weeks and I have the same affect parking it overnight in my driveway after coming home from work at about 7pm.

Two makes/models, same overnight parking, same squeak.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back