Trying to decide on GX550 vs. LC.

Joeguide

Jul 6, 2024
Asheville, NC
I appreciate this forum. So I am looking to trade in my wife's German SUV for either the new LC or GX. I previously had a LC 80 series and then had the first get GX. Both were excellent no nonsense SUVs.

Initially I liked the simple external appearance of the new white LC (not 1958 or FC) over the GX550. I really do not like the Kibuki face of the GX especially with a white exterior.

The LC hybrid with the better mileage looked good on paper, but I can't get over the battery hump and unleveled back when the second row seat is up. I was calculating the gas saving of the LC which I think is about 5-6K over 100K miles. But then you have the replace the battery around 100k which cost about 5-6K, so at the end of the day, no real savings. Also the GX twin turbo V6 seems like the bomb.

I really hate the look of the useless black mascara on the face of GX, but maybe I'll get use to it. Maybe a can of white spray paint. Maybe the base Overtrail?

Last edited:
I didn't like the battery hump in the LC or the sound of that 4 cylinder. I agree with you that the LC looks better from the front, but I don't think it looks that much better. That's only a slight advantage to the LC for me. The battery hump, however, is a big disadvantage and the sound is a pretty big disadvantage to me.

I crossed shopped these two. I prefer the looks and interior of the GX but that aside, the GX is a better fit for us as a tow and camping vehicle with it's considerably higher tow and payload ratings. Also, I think the engine of the GX in the mountains will be a plus even with the lower MPG rating.

You’re on the GX forum so you’re going to get GX recommendations. If you posted this on the LC forum, you’re still going to get GX recommendations because it’s the best! Lolololol

Fair point. Post it on Reddit or a general car forum to get fair responses.

One other vehicle to pay attention to is the new 4Runner. The small price difference between the LC trim and the GX makes the main consideration the engines and fuel economy for us. If the 4Runner is $10k cheaper that will be a harder call.

Reactions: JPE
One other vehicle to pay attention to is the new 4Runner. The small price difference between the LC trim and the GX makes the main consideration the engines and fuel economy for us. If the 4Runner is $10k cheaper that will be a harder call.
And the prototypes of Trailhunter trim on the 6th gen 4Runner looks really good IMO. I'm not a huge fan of the double Fu Manchu mustaches on it, but at least the Trailhunter got rid of the non-functional black plastic hood scoop that's on the TRD Pro 4Runner. Plus it comes with memory seats (something not available on the Overtrail GX, you have to go to the Overtrail+ GX), 4 way lumbar, and digital rear view mirror - neither of which are available on the Overtrail or Overtrail+.

But, I still like the GX better. From the pictures and videos I've seen of the 6th 4Runner the quality of the GX is much better. And I'll take the 6 cylinder non-hybrid (i.e. no battery hump in the cargo area) of the GX over the 4 cylinder hybrid all day long.

I appreciate this forum. So I am looking to trade in my wife's German SUV for either the new LC or GX. I previously had a LC 80 series and then had the first get GX. Both were excellent no nonsense SUVs.

Initially I liked the simple external appearance of the new white LC (not 1958 or FC) over the GX550. I really do not like the Kibuki face of the GX especially with a white exterior.

The LC hybrid with the better mileage looked good on paper, but I can't get over the battery hump and unleveled back when the second row seat is up. I was calculating the gas saving of the LC which I think is about 5-6K over 100K miles. But then you have the replace the battery around 100k which cost about 5-6K, so at the end of the day, no real savings. Also the GX twin turbo V6 seems like the bomb.

I really hate the look of the useless black mascara on the face of GX, but maybe I'll get use to it. Maybe a can of white spray paint. Maybe the base Overtrail?
Welcome to the forum.

I would say that people are here to discuss the new GX.

I went to a Toyota dealership to look at the LC. They had a first edition, which they let me sit in, but not start or test drive. It was MSRP of $77k, with a $10k dealer markup. It was nice enough, but not $87k nice in my opinion. At that time I was not even aware of the new GX, but I started looking at other options and found the GX and thought it looked amazing. I started looking at Lexus dealers and finally found a dealer with an Overtrail that was available only 2 hours away. I drove there, they let me test drive it, I took my wife back the next day and bought it for MSRP $73k, plus $0 dealer markup. I feel like they designed the GX with me in mind, and I got it for about $15k LESS than that LC.

I've flipped flopped on LC vs GX myself. Started off loving the LC but couldn't get comfortable with the inline 4 hybrid. Initially loved the LC interior and exterior styling better. Now I'm loving everything about the GX better except the interior. I think the GX offers better value at the Overtrail level vs the LC (mid level) trim. My only holdup is "first year" jitters and the potential for the GX 3.4 engine to land on the recall list. Waiting it out for now...

I think the suspension offered in the GX is a big factor when compared to the Land Cruiser. If you want a premium yet capable ride, then the Overtail model with eKDSS, adaptive shocks, and larger sidewall all-terrain tires is a significant improvement over the Land Cruiser suspension and wheels and tires. You can get the adaptive shocks on the GX if you get the Premium+ trim, but the 22-inch wheels that come with that trim will cancel out some of the ride improvement.

I agree with @Dragoon that the eKDSS on the Overtrail is a step up suspension-wise from the other trims but I was wondering if anyone knows whether eKDSS acts to stiffen up the swaybar at high speed (on the street, maybe in Sport or Sport+?) rather than just loosening/disconnecting the swaybar while off road. It's possible that eKDSS could preload the swaybar at higher speeds or in certain drive modes but I don't know if it actually does that.

I assume there is programming in the different modes to adjust the active shocks, but since the eKDSS is a hydraulic system, it should help to reduce body roll, but I don't think programming affects it.

I assume there is programming in the different modes to adjust the active shocks, but since the eKDSS is a hydraulic system, it should help to reduce body roll, but I don't think programming affects it.
It's an hydraulic system, but it is electronically controllable. I don't know what level the electronic control is, but it could theoretically control how much the hydraulic cylinders move and in what direction. I'm not familiar with the details of the system though. And helping reduce body roll is something it can do in on-road. But in off-road it actually increases body roll (i.e. allows for more articulation).

Joe, seems as if you've decided on the LC, lol, but the GX is going to be an ICON long after we've forgotten what an LC was, think about it.

Great video Dragoon. It does appear that on road eKDSS is fully "retracted" and doesn't allow for more movement to preload the swaybar and increase roll stiffness. That does make sense - if you want more roll stiffness just increase the diameter of the swaybar.

We drove both. The LC interior materials do not compare. It seemed ok before we tested the GX OT. I also noted the larger 9" rear differential in the GX which is in keeping with the old 80 series vs the 8" diff in the new LC which is same as a 4Runner. Rear battery in LC area would not work well when I build a pull out camp kitchen and add a fridge. There is a note on the rear battery deck that limits weight to 120lbs. This seems a big miss for an overland build. Also the GX affords a 1500lb load capacity which is 300-400 over the LC. So the LC will likely need additional lift/springs to cope with sliders, fridge, water, kitchen, RTT, front bumper, winch etc. Wheels IMO on OT a very nice and having 33" out the door helps. LC roof rack was noisy at highway speed. The GX 10spd does a nice job and pairs well with the V6. We have commented how nice it pairs to the torque at 1600- 2400rpm. The LC seemed ok and didn't feel it lacked power when we tested. I think when pushed the LC will be a bit busier vs the nice rumble of the GX. LC front end will definitely be easier to update, but they all have sensors to contend with. So, for a club build truck and some trail runs the LC seems a good fit. As an Overland build platform to handle most terrain, travel in comfort and tow if needed I think the GX is better. Long term the GX may hold its resale value at 125k - 200k miles better than the LC hybrid, but lots can happen between now and then.

Appointment lc available at a number of dealers
. 70 - 80 thousand for a Toyota is a huge stretch.. 4 cyl turbo engine on 5500 pound vehicle.. Time will tell. But some dealers are now below msrp. And lots of highly optioned machines are accumulating in the distribution system.. 4cy turbo 5500 pounds.....

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back