Upgrading speakers in base 10-speaker stereo

Bluegill

🏆 GX of the Month
Jul 16, 2024
Media
Scottsdale, AZ
Has anyone investigated upgrading the speakers in the base stereo? There are supposedly 10 speakers as opposed to the Mark Levinson 21-speaker system.

I think the speakers are as follows:
  • 2 left and right dashboard
  • 1 center dashboard
  • 2 left and right front doors, low-range
  • 2 left and right front doors, mid-range
  • 2 left and right rear doors, full-range
  • 1 subwoofer in rear tailgate
and I think the amp is located under the driver's seat

I found the diagram below on this forum but it doesn't tell us much. Has anyone found a simple diagram or list of what size speakers are where for the base system?

ML Speaker Map 1.jpg

I'll be visiting a stereo shop this coming week and I'll get the details on all the speakers and the amp and post it up here. I'm thinking that a new amp and all new speakers would kick it up a notch, maybe we'll be able to also add a few speakers in the blank spots where ML speakers would be....

Just my opinion....my wife has a 22 GX with the ML system. My new 550 has the Lexus premium 10 speaker system. Other than the "fade" option, I really don't notice a sound difference. Please don't get me wrong, I love music, but there isn't a $3K difference in sound quality to me. And at volume 30-40 the roof rack wind noise isn't an issue.

I'm no audiophile (and I'm trying hard not to become one, I have enough expensive hobbies). But I do think that the base system could use a little love to be all it can be. If you fade to rear, you immediately hear that the rear door speakers are just basic el cheapo blah sound. I want the front cabin sound coming out of the rear too. A couple mid- and high-range speakers in the cargo area would do wonders as well.

Sound deadening goes a long way in improving speaker sound quality. Even if you go the route of changing the speakers, you should do this when you have the door panels off. You would be surprised how much of a difference sound deadening makes without upgrading the speakers.

Did you end up going to a shop? I took mine in and one shop said disconnecting/swapping the front speakers would disable the safety connect.

I think the front speakers sound fine enough but would prefer a little more fullness in the middle for a surround sound system. According to your post the rear door speakers are full-range. Do you think just swapping those would give much benefit? Wonder if an amp would be needed with just doing that.

Haven’t had time for the stereo shop yet, will try tomorrow. Interesting about what you heard. Not exactly sure what safety connect is or why I want it or what the front speakers have to do with anything.

It seems it's an alarm related to the system that alerts the cops if you crash and tracks the car. I haven't figured out if it just disables the alarm, but I'm fine swapping the speakers if it doesn't disable the tracking component.

Didn't get much help since the vehicle is new but the best plan is probably to drop in the best rear speakers possible and see if the stock amp is strong enough to make it sound full then go from there.

I went to a reputable audio shop my dealer recommended - they’ve worked on Lexus and GX’s specifically for years, many good reviews.

My goal was to see what could be done to improve quality - either speaker replacement, amp, or sub. The shop owner listened for a few minutes in the car with me and had a few takeaways…
  1. Upgrading speakers alone wouldn't make a noticeable difference
  2. Upgrading the amp isn’t yet an option as aftermarket options aren’t yet mapped to the latest GX configurations
  3. Changing my streaming playback quality would make the most noticeable difference
I did #3 and changed Spotify from “auto” playback quality to “maximum” and it made a noticeable difference. After tuning the bass/treble a bit more in the GX settings, I’m actually happy enough with the quality to no longer want to go down the audio path again.

Hope this helps.

Hey Bill, I'm following your lead, so I'm interested in what your findings are.
Just got back from Phoenix last night. Finished out my build so far with the lift, Wheels and the 285/75 R17 Toyo Open Country tires. It might be my imagination but the ride seems better than before.

I went to a reputable audio shop my dealer recommended - they’ve worked on Lexus and GX’s specifically for years, many good reviews.

My goal was to see what could be done to improve quality - either speaker replacement, amp, or sub. The shop owner listened for a few minutes in the car with me and had a few takeaways…
  2. Upgrading the amp isn’t yet an option as aftermarket options aren’t yet mapped to the latest GX configurations
  3. Changing my streaming playback quality would make the most noticeable difference
I did #3 and changed Spotify from “auto” playback quality to “maximum” and it made a noticeable difference. After tuning the bass/treble a bit more in the GX settings, I’m actually happy enough with the quality to no longer want to go down the audio path again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks very helpful. Did it seem like when amp options are available we'd be able to get more power to the rear speakers?

Hope this helps.
What bass/treble settings did you land on?

Follow this link.

They’re working on a plugnplay version for the GX. Should be out soon. These new systems have so much built in integration and dsp programming, unless your will to totally gut the system this setup is the way to go. You’ll be amazed at the difference a slight boost in clean power and better dsp tuning can make. Your only missing component will be deep bass / subwoofer which can be added with “pre-outs” and a decent sub box. It’ll take a while for the aftermarket audio to come up with an integrated type sub. Look for companies like JL audio for this in the near future.

Last edited:
Follow this link.

They’re working on a plugnplay version for the GX. Should be out soon. These new systems have so much built in integration and dsp programming, unless your will to totally gut the system this setup is the way to go. You’ll be amazed at the difference a slight boost in clean power and better dsp tuning can make. Your only missing component will be deep bass / subwoofer which can be added with “pre-outs” and a decent sub box. It’ll take a while for the aftermarket audio to come up with an integrated type sub. Look for companies like JL audio for this in the near future.

Man that looks like a lot of work. After taking apart my LR4 dash about a dozen times to try (unsuccessfully) to fix a zapped audio/infotainment system, I vowed never to take apart a dash again. I shall pay someone to upgrade my stereo!
IMG_9501.JPGIMG_9497.JPG

Man that looks like a lot of work. After taking apart my LR4 dash about a dozen times to try (unsuccessfully) to fix a zapped audio/infotainment system, I vowed never to take apart a dash again. I shall pay someone to upgrade my stereo!
View attachment 3066View attachment 3067
Yeah, not for the faint of heart. Especially on a new $80k vehicle. Update with your outcome and what route you decided on.

I agree, so many opportunities to break plastic clips! Been there done that. The good news is your stereo will be much clearer when you play it loud to override the dash rattling.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back