What I can’t stand about my GX

Try the owners manual as a first resource.. either the one in the vehicle or the pdf online. On line the information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization)

The owners (gx550) manual is a must read for a $70 to $ 85,000 dollar vehicle that has a huge amount of technology. Must read is perhaps a poor way to state this for all owners. Lets try... if the full feature set of what a vehicle has is useful to an owner it is a must read or must refer to. THink about your laptop.. it works without knowing every detail about the operating system ... but I suspect if you have been using computers for more than 20 years you begin to learn about features and "hidden features" that make it easier or help eliminate some of the annoyances you have with the operating system or the Computer itself.
You can get into the car and just drive it.. You can probably figure out how to fumble thru the infotainment screens to find the radio and other features. but a deep dive requires some time and desire to truly understand what the vehicle is capable of. (or not).
the typical dealer orientation on feature function lets you drive off the lot and be a happy customer. THe folks doing the introduction (to a buyer) for the most part do not know about the customization beyond their cursory knowledge gained by pushing some buttons or watching a couple of utube reviews when they need a quick answer.

most do not know how to lower the spare tire.. or even where to insert the jack handel to do so.. they know about roadside assistance. Most do not know how to unlock the transmission for towing when needed but say the tow truck operator wil know how to do it. most do not know where the jacking points are on the frame . They dont know that there is a two piece cover for the tow reciever and that you have to remove both parts to insert the pin for the hitch. Nor that a free pin is in the glove box of the vehicle. Nor that the port does not put the lug nuts removed (when putting on Locking nuts) in the vehicle if an owner ever wants to change them out or not have them on when mudding or snow or other conditions where locking nuts are very troublesome. if you were forced to buy them as an option lexus should put the nuts removed at the port in the vehicle. EVERY OTHER Manufacturer i have purchased cars from put the removed nuts in a bag in the glove box. Lexus has not done so in the south east usa. ( I have asked for them from the dealer and still waiting for a response).

Drivers can just get in and drive. without any more knowledge then learned from driving their last five machines. but this machine is very capable of being adjusted to the whims of the owner.. (pretty amazing actually) enjoy your ride

information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization) hope this answers your questions. but I do not assume that the manual has the most up to date information...t is a great place to start. Its just that the complete answers requires more work from an owner. (or not)

one additional resource (as to the free customization) is the Lexus gx 550 "warranty guide". the following is from the guide page 45 (SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE LOG)

Complimentary First
Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled
maintenance service at no charge.
The service is performed at six
months or 5,000 miles, whichever
occur first, and includes these items:

• Check for available software
updates (OTAs) and update
upon customer authorization
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Program Lexus Personalized
Settings, if requested
(I added bold and increased text size to make it easier to find in this response)
• Reset scheduled
maintenance reminder
• Rotate tires
• Inspect brake pads and discs
• Inspect wiper blades
• Add fuel injector cleaner to
fuel tank (Hawaii only)
• Check installation of
driver’s floor mat
• Road test vehicle
I’ve read through it several times and done exactly as it says, everything works until I turn the vehicle off. As soon as I turn it back on, all my customizations (front and rear crossing alert, driver monitoring, etc…) are reset.

The only thing that sticks is the rear brake alert (I don’t know what I would do if that would get reset alongside all the other features).

I’m going to the dealership today to ask about the techs being able to do a secret disable of the features. I had never heard of that but you sounded pretty confident, so I’ll take your word for it.

I’ll let everyone know if it works!

from the warranty manual
Settings, if requested
(I added bold)

these are not changes from the infotainment screen. (although I am sure the Service department will help with that as the the person who introduced you to the car should have done) These changes requires Lexus service center tools to access (think about the tools that find engine and fault codes that are thrown by a faulty vehicle part but stored in the cpu that do not show up on the screen.)

that is why when you request the mods you should also request to stand with the tech while they are doing them so you can see ALL of the available mods that can be done. If a repair service manual was available we may be able to see all the options as owners before requesting them... Unfortunately I have been unable to find or have access to the repair manuals provided to the authorized service centers... If you find a pdf of those please prove a link... Same if you find a parts manual that shows lexus part numbers for each gx 550 variant.. (thanks in advance)

from the warranty manual
Settings, if requested
(I added bold)

these are not changes from the infotainment screen. (although I am sure the Service department will help with that as the the person who introduced you to the car should have done) These changes requires Lexus service center tools to access (think about the tools that find engine and fault codes that are thrown by a faulty vehicle part but stored in the cpu that do not show up on the screen.)

that is why when you request the mods you should also request to stand with the tech while they are doing them so you can see ALL of the available mods that can be done. If a repair service manual was available we may be able to see all the options as owners before requesting them... Unfortunately I have been unable to find or have access to the repair manuals provided to the authorized service centers... If you find a pdf of those please prove a link... Same if you find a parts manual that shows lexus part numbers for each gx 550 variant.. (thanks in advance)
Could this be it?
IMG_2133.jpeg

looks like this is from the toyota chr manual...

Toyota CH-R Owners Manual

it would be great to have similar information for gx 550.. if you find one for gx550 please advise....

lots of utube on access basic service screen for other lexus models.. using light switch and menu switch.. etc...

here are available online and pdf manuals for 2024 gx 550

Resources

and technical issues

but no manual for personalization (as per the site) as of july 25 2024

Last edited:
Are the dang super sensitive dome lights. Man I swear I brush those lights on every time I go to open the sunroof.
That’s my only gripe- I love this thing!

I have had 2 Range Rover Sports. On trips my dog (Cane Corso) would hit each interior light on passenger and drivers side with his head constantly and turn them on. You can't reach them from the drivers seat to turn them off. So on long trips I just had to ignore the interior lights back there being on for all our trips. Very annoying.

I have had 2 Range Rover Sports. On trips my dog (Cane Corso) would hit each interior light on passenger and drivers side with his head constantly and turn them on. You can't reach them from the drivers seat to turn them off. So on long trips I just had to ignore the interior lights back there being on for all our trips. Very annoying.
with two range rover sports... I suspect you have to ignore far more than your dog turning on overhead lights.. (i had some of each (dog and range rover and defender))

doors not locking when walking away from vehicle... )apparently programable by the dealer at 5000 mile one time customization
it can be changed? where did you find out that (so I can show my dealer if they balk)? I loved that my Hondas did that and Toyota nor Lexus would do so.

how did you like the RR sports ? How would it compare to the GX550 ?

Carista EVO plugs into the OBD sensor and lets you access a lot of these hidden settings. I don’t know which settings exist beyond what Carista can see, but I was able to make a few tweaks with it, along the lines of what the dealer can do. Super easy to use.

Carista EVO plugs into the OBD sensor and lets you access a lot of these hidden settings. I don’t know which settings exist beyond what Carista can see, but I was able to make a few tweaks with it, along the lines of what the dealer can do. Super easy to use.
Are you able to take a picture of all the adjustable setting you are able to see with Carista EVO?

Wow. I remember when you had to put the key in the door handle to lock it. Now people just want to walk away.
Tesla combines both - open door and it shifts to park. Walk away and it locks. So you can do it in one fabulous lazy motion. And it doesn't randomly beep/bing making me wonder WTF, lol.

Add some details to this Thread.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%