What I can’t stand about my GX

My gripes:

The tailgate spoiler feels like it's barely attached. When drying it after a car wash it moves up & down far too easily.

The arm rest at the top of the inner door panel is horrible. It's hard plastic and crowned - just the sort of comfy place to rest your arm on a road trip (sarcasm). I bought a door arm rest pad online and it was a great product but far to big and cumbersome so I returned it.

The door panel storage bins are tiny. Can even fit a slim water thermos in there - all it fits is a typical crappy plastic water bottle. I'm used to keeping tools, tape measure, gloves, pens, markers, bluetooth speakers, rocks, spare magazines, etc. in the doors.

Glove box is tiny, thinking I'll have to keep the owner's manual in my office to free up some space. I can barely get the door closed with a D-cell mag light in there, not to mention the Brunton compass, small books, spare glasses, chapstick, pens, spare boxes of ammo, etc. that I stored in my Land Rover's TWO glove boxes.

Not a lot of other available storage. But lots of room back behind the cargo area plastic panels and I imagine more room down below the cargo area floor. Will need to free up a couple days with no distractions to take all that apart and investigate.

Hood flutter, don't even get me started. I have another "fix" in mind if the dealer doesn't step up.

Rear brake squeal in reverse - not a major issue, but wow is that loud and annoying. The good thing is that I don't expect to ever have to buy my own brake pads - I'll just complain ceaselessly at each service interval and insist on replacements.

Those overhead console lights are indeed super-sensitive. Every time I use my windshield sun shade I hit the lights by accident. The overhead console lights are pretty weak too. Should have auxiliary push-button map lights.

The big central screen - this is getting ridiculous. Why can't we have TWO AIR VENTS up there that can blow in your face like a normal car? How about buttons or sliders for air vent settings, dials for temperature range, etc.? Something tactile that you can feel with your fingers and muscle memory while keeping your eyes ON THE FREAKIN' ROAD? The battle of the biggest touch screen is the single biggest case of idiocy displayed by our species in a long time.

Not being able to hit the radio power button and listen for an hour while setting up camp, or listen for 15 minutes while sitting in the shade with the windows down and waiting for whatever. Going to need to find a way around this bullsh*t.

Tiny fuel tank, futile range, and less-than-advertised mileage. I've never seen above 15.21 mpg calculated / 14.9 mpg indicated on the display and this was before the lift and bigger tires when I was trying to get the best mileage possible. I still don't know how any of you are seeing 19/20/21. If a 25 or 30-gallon fuel tank option doesn't come out soon then sadly this will not be a long-term ownership experience for me.

The rear seats don't go down flat. Folding in half and then tumbling forward is rookie material. Fold those puppies flat or make them a cinch to remove. The rear area is perfect for sleeping, except for the damn seats. Take a page from the Land Rover LR4 and fold 'em flat.

The stock rock rails from Lexus. Were they purposefully trying to force us to buy a more expensive rock rail / running board that you can actually step on? If so, where the hell is that product? If they don't offer it, then the design must just be sheer stupidity.

Stingy spare tire space - they knew bigger tires would be fitted, they thankfully left plenty of room in the wheel wells, but the stock spare tire is like a sardine in a can.

Fake engine noise in Sport+ mode. Maybe all the engineers' wives fake their orgasms too.

The little hump on the floor between the rear seats. Other manufacturers have been able to eliminate this...Lexus you could have done it too if you tried.

You can see a lot of hoses and mechanical bits exposed in the rear wheel wells. That should all be buttoned up to prevent damage and for aesthetic reasons.

But I still love the truck (as much as one can love an inanimate object). None of the above are deal-breakers except for the fuel tank size and poor efficiency, in that order of importance. If this thing came with a 25+ gallon tank I'd just man up and accept the poor efficiency. I'm used to Rover V8s so this is an improvement for me.

My gripes:

The tailgate spoiler feels like it's barely attached. When drying it after a car wash it moves up & down far too easily.

The arm rest at the top of the inner door panel is horrible. It's hard plastic and crowned - just the sort of comfy place to rest your arm on a road trip (sarcasm). I bought a door arm rest pad online and it was a great product but far to big and cumbersome so I returned it.

The door panel storage bins are tiny. Can even fit a slim water thermos in there - all it fits is a typical crappy plastic water bottle. I'm used to keeping tools, tape measure, gloves, pens, markers, bluetooth speakers, rocks, spare magazines, etc. in the doors.

Glove box is tiny, thinking I'll have to keep the owner's manual in my office to free up some space. I can barely get the door closed with a D-cell mag light in there, not to mention the Brunton compass, small books, spare glasses, chapstick, pens, spare boxes of ammo, etc. that I stored in my Land Rover's TWO glove boxes.

Not a lot of other available storage. But lots of room back behind the cargo area plastic panels and I imagine more room down below the cargo area floor. Will need to free up a couple days with no distractions to take all that apart and investigate.

Hood flutter, don't even get me started. I have another "fix" in mind if the dealer doesn't step up.

Rear brake squeal in reverse - not a major issue, but wow is that loud and annoying. The good thing is that I don't expect to ever have to buy my own brake pads - I'll just complain ceaselessly at each service interval and insist on replacements.

Those overhead console lights are indeed super-sensitive. Every time I use my windshield sun shade I hit the lights by accident. The overhead console lights are pretty weak too. Should have auxiliary push-button map lights.

The big central screen - this is getting ridiculous. Why can't we have TWO AIR VENTS up there that can blow in your face like a normal car? How about buttons or sliders for air vent settings, dials for temperature range, etc.? Something tactile that you can feel with your fingers and muscle memory while keeping your eyes ON THE FREAKIN' ROAD? The battle of the biggest touch screen is the single biggest case of idiocy displayed by our species in a long time.

Not being able to hit the radio power button and listen for an hour while setting up camp, or listen for 15 minutes while sitting in the shade with the windows down and waiting for whatever. Going to need to find a way around this bullsh*t.

Tiny fuel tank, futile range, and less-than-advertised mileage. I've never seen above 15.21 mpg calculated / 14.9 mpg indicated on the display and this was before the lift and bigger tires when I was trying to get the best mileage possible. I still don't know how any of you are seeing 19/20/21. If a 25 or 30-gallon fuel tank option doesn't come out soon then sadly this will not be a long-term ownership experience for me.

The rear seats don't go down flat. Folding in half and then tumbling forward is rookie material. Fold those puppies flat or make them a cinch to remove. The rear area is perfect for sleeping, except for the damn seats. Take a page from the Land Rover LR4 and fold 'em flat.

The stock rock rails from Lexus. Were they purposefully trying to force us to buy a more expensive rock rail / running board that you can actually step on? If so, where the hell is that product? If they don't offer it, then the design must just be sheer stupidity.

Stingy spare tire space - they knew bigger tires would be fitted, they thankfully left plenty of room in the wheel wells, but the stock spare tire is like a sardine in a can.

Fake engine noise in Sport+ mode. Maybe all the engineers' wives fake their orgasms too.

The little hump on the floor between the rear seats. Other manufacturers have been able to eliminate this...Lexus you could have done it too if you tried.

You can see a lot of hoses and mechanical bits exposed in the rear wheel wells. That should all be buttoned up to prevent damage and for aesthetic reasons.

But I still love the truck (as much as one can love an inanimate object). None of the above are deal-breakers except for the fuel tank size and poor efficiency, in that order of importance. If this thing came with a 25+ gallon tank I'd just man up and accept the poor efficiency. I'm used to Rover V8s so this is an improvement for me.
Overtrail owner, really like the truck and it is fun to compare with my wife’s LC First Edition. As I’ve noted before, I much prefer the LC steering wheel toggle for radio volume. Also like the Start/Stop button location better in the LC. Wish the Overtrail had driver’s seat memory (on the other hand it provides me with an excuse when my wife wants to drive it). But this said, I am very happy to jump in my Nori Green rig and fortunate to live in Vermont where the dirt/gravel roads are beautiful and endless!

Love the GX except for:

1) small gas tank range. Need 360 miles to get through a week of work.
2) yelling over my radio or turning down the volume to talk with Siri.
3) lack of rear climate zone on OT +
4) door jams are not well sealed. Tons of dust and dirt in jams which needs to be cleaned.
5) small cup holders in door.

Honorable mention:
1) hood flutter.
2. Especially annoys me as I use that frequently. I hope that the OTA updates fix this in time. And for the massage feature to be activated by a hot key/ hey Lexus command.

Some of you guys are hard to please.......roof rack noise is still my only major issue. I knew there was very little storage, so I bought a small storage box to hold all the stuff I had in the console of my 2500HD.

My gripes:

May I piggy back on what you say ty I agree with you now for me paddle shifter is unnecessary they are not performance vehicles,HUD could use minor tweaking,also when monitoring your eye movements could also use minor tweaking, to me it doesn’t seem like all the safety features do not work in conjunction with each other. This is the 21st century takes him time to develop these things. They can do a better job in my opinion. Thank you for letting me piggy back.

May I piggy back on what you say ty I agree with you now for me paddle shifter is unnecessary they are not performance vehicles,HUD could use minor tweaking,also when monitoring your eye movements could also use minor tweaking, to me it doesn’t seem like all the safety features do not work in conjunction with each other. This is the 21st century takes him time to develop these things. They can do a better job in my opinion. Thank you for letting me piggy back.
Sorry forgot to say some of the plastics molding again could be removed and it would save a little weight

:ROFLMAO:

I f#$&%ing HATE the stupid fake engine noise in all the newer vehicles. It's been pissing me off for years, and I've been cursing the engineers over that one all along, but that's the BEST response to that idiotic idea!
That, and the rest of your list, Bluegill, is exactly what I'm concerned will eat away at me during ownership of this vehicle, which is why I'm not all that bothered that we're still waiting for the exact configuration we have multiple deposits in for.

My gripes:

Bro the lack of functional AC vents is insane. Also how low they sit bc of the massive infotainment screen. Im nearly 6’5” and I feel like the air is non-existent at low fan speeds

Bro the lack of functional AC vents is insane. Also how low they sit bc of the massive infotainment screen. Im nearly 6’5” and I feel like the air is non-existent at low fan speeds
I know...who ever asked for these giant screens? It's like the engineers at the car companies are just saying, "Look...mine is now bigger than yours." "Oh yeah, well we are going to just ditch air vents and make our screen even bigger."

My advice to those complaining about the GX need to go drive an Ineos Grenadier. I ordered one after a multi-year wait - it arrived at my dealer in Dec 2023. I drove it - picture 1 climate zone for the entire car, seats that had cut outs for electric adjustment and have none. The only power door lock/unlock for all doors is on the drivers door so no one else could lock the vehicle. An A/C system that is on par to a mouse with asthma coughing on you and while it's cold in the front - nuclear hot in the back. Safari roofs that leak. Continually being hammered by electronic gremlins and warning lights. Being handed the remote on a $94K vehicle and being told it locks - and later the doors unlock themselves.

Is the GX perfect - no. But my new OT+ is so far above expectations. Gas milage complaints - go buy a Land Cruiser. Wind Noise - take off the rack. Small gas tank - plan better/carry gas for overloading. Small A/C vents by the screen - crank up the seat ventilation; it's better than my wife's $140K BMW. Fake engine noise - find music to listen to.

Think we need to keep things in perspective as there is no prefect vehicle out there - but I defy anyone to find one that is as world class off road from a stock vehicle and is civil on road.

My gripes:

Great list and let me add a few pet peeves on my OT+. ALL options should be available but especially electronic RV mirror, power running boards and rear AC controls with the two head level vents. Now for some design flaws; 2nd row seats in addition to folding flat need to be able to move back and take advantage of all that space behind. With no 3rd row there is plenty of space to allow for FAR more leg room. The chiller box needs an option to have chilling for two and space behind is for storage which as you said is greatly lacking. Next for me is they need to simplify the user interface for massage. No need for all those menus and when massage stops, a simple continue button should appear so you don't have to repeat the 4 steps. On custom drive modes whatever the use selects it should stay in that mode. Levinson sound system needs to be improved as it's no longer best in class or even top 3 any longer. Air shocks should be standard issue and would help the ride quality and remove the need for rails by lowering height at entry/exit. Where is the automatic parking feature??? Cars costing half as much have this option...

My advice to those complaining about the GX need to go drive an Ineos Grenadier. I ordered one after a multi-year wait - it arrived at my dealer in Dec 2023. I drove it - picture 1 climate zone for the entire car, seats that had cut outs for electric adjustment and have none. The only power door lock/unlock for all doors is on the drivers door so no one else could lock the vehicle. An A/C system that is on par to a mouse with asthma coughing on you and while it's cold in the front - nuclear hot in the back. Safari roofs that leak. Continually being hammered by electronic gremlins and warning lights. Being handed the remote on a $94K vehicle and being told it locks - and later the doors unlock themselves.

Is the GX perfect - no. But my new OT+ is so far above expectations. Gas milage complaints - go buy a Land Cruiser. Wind Noise - take off the rack. Small gas tank - plan better/carry gas for overloading. Small A/C vents by the screen - crank up the seat ventilation; it's better than my wife's $140K BMW. Fake engine noise - find music to listen to.

Think we need to keep things in perspective as there is no prefect vehicle out there - but I defy anyone to find one that is as world class off road from a stock vehicle and is civil on road.
Well, you are participating in a thread titled, "What I can’t stand about my GX".

I test drove a Grenadier and put down a deposit. A good friend of mine bought one and a few acquaintances have one. They kind of smile through gritted teeth and say, "Oh yes, it's just great." I've heard that Ineos is having a lot of growing pains. Meanwhile, the British billionaire Ratcliffe is busy producing more & more special models named after ugly jackets and traffic jams. I guess it's a British thing. The whole Grenadier has the feel of a completed Lego kit made up of pieces from all different kits, with a lot of pieces being the cheap knock-off Legos that don't quite fit.

And I assert that the fuel mileage and storage capacity of the GX550 is a real issue that should be addressed. A range of 250 miles is absurd. I will sometimes drive 150 or even 200 miles in a day visiting various job sites without ever leaving the greater Phoenix area. Having to fuel up every couple days is ridiculous. And check out the Land Cruiser....it's not much better with less-than-advertised mileage and an even smaller fuel tank.

Well, you are participating in a thread titled, "What I can’t stand about my GX".

I test drove a Grenadier and put down a deposit. A good friend of mine bought one and a few acquaintances have one. They kind of smile through gritted teeth and say, "Oh yes, it's just great." I've heard that Ineos is having a lot of growing pains. Meanwhile, the British billionaire Ratcliffe is busy producing more & more special models named after ugly jackets and traffic jams. I guess it's a British thing. The whole Grenadier has the feel of a completed Lego kit made up of pieces from all different kits, with a lot of pieces being the cheap knock-off Legos that don't quite fit.

And I assert that the fuel mileage and storage capacity of the GX550 is a real issue that should be addressed. A range of 250 miles is absurd. I will sometimes drive 150 or even 200 miles in a day visiting various job sites without ever leaving the greater Phoenix area. Having to fuel up every couple days is ridiculous. And check out the Land Cruiser....it's not much better with less-than-advertised mileage and an even smaller fuel tank.
Hello Bluegill - something might be off with your car and the range. 21 gallons at even 15mpg and not the blended 17mpg (357 miles) gets you 315 miles of range. Figured the delta is the a/c running all the time - but that should not whack you that bad.

Would be interesting to see if EPA requires mileage at the model (GX550) or the specific model type level (550 OT) - imagine that mpg on a base Premium would certainly beat the range with the large tires of the OT. If Lexus is only required at the model level - then they pick the one with the best mileage and publish that across all the sub-model levels.

Hello Bluegill - something might be off with your car and the range. 21 gallons at even 15mpg and not the blended 17mpg (357 miles) gets you 315 miles of range. Figured the delta is the a/c running all the time - but that should not whack you that bad.

Would be interesting to see if EPA requires mileage at the model (GX550) or the specific model type level (550 OT) - imagine that mpg on a base Premium would certainly beat the range with the large tires of the OT. If Lexus is only required at the model level - then they pick the one with the best mileage and publish that across all the sub-model levels.
Im at 752mi and current avg is 14.8mpg. Only getting ~250mi per tank myself. Tons of city driving though

Back