First towing report: I-70/Berthoud Pass Colorado

nopantz

Aug 14, 2024
Media
Colorado
While traffic was abysmal this weekend (3h30m for 100mi), the GX did great pulling a Coachmen Apex 208BHS (5000#+). Solid 'A' grading. I mainly used the manual transmission to keep the power ideal, but it never felt sluggish nor runaway on the downhills. I used mostly up to 6th gear and up to 7 or 8 on the speedy flats. No sway with my Eaz Lift R3 Recurve 1000# WDH. I averaged about 12MPG, which I thought was decent. I did hear quite a bit of 'whoosh' presumably from he turbos as the engine spun up.

I did have to turn off the emergency braking driving assist to hitch up and the power lift gate to prevent it from hitting the trailer jack. I guess the next time when the dog comes, we'll have to fold the rear seats up to let him in the trunk.

The vehicle mirrors with my 7.5' wide trailer weren't as good as I originally thought. I didn't get my rear trailer camera working yet, but did ok. I'd give them a 'C+' or 'B-'. Will get the camera working before I decide on add on tow mirrors.

As you know, the receiver hitch is a 'D' grade. However, except for the annoying setup, it was quiet and controlled. Chain and cable could now use another 4-6" :(

Overall, much improved towing over my 2005 Nissan Titan V8 307HP/379FT LB 5A naturally aspirated.

IMG_1832.jpeg
IMG_1830.jpeg
IMG_1833.jpeg

How was it in the wind and with semi's passing you. I'm still a little hung up on the short wheelbase for pulling a travel trailer.

I plan on picking up a uhaul trailer next week and just buying a uhaul ball/setup, do you guys think that would marry up to the receiver?

Should be fine. You just want the trailer reasonably level - they probably have a few “drop” choices to help you pick the best. Not sure of the cost - otherwise, Home Depot and Harbor Freight tend to be around $25-30 assembled.

Back