🛠️ Member Build GX 550 Front Winch Bumper options

�Member Build
I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer in this forum, but I'd like to know how these bumpers are designed to handle accidents and what safety testing is being done (My guess is not much.)

On my 200, I had an ARB bumper that was designed to slide back on its mounts a tiny bit in a low-impact collision. This would minimize damage to the frame in a fender bender or minor offroad mishap, with the factory plastics no longer there to take the initial crush. The arb also had a bunch of safety testing performed prior to release.

I worry the bumpers from some of these smaller welders and/or new companies to the market could end up being damage multipliers. I'm mostly concerned about the versions that hold winches. In an accident or trail mishap, these could basically become cannonballs aimed at the radiator. Makes me a little nervous if I don't see any safety testing details.

The small boutique guys with the strongest reputations in the premium Toyota/Lexus space, like Slee and Dissent, don't have anything out yet. Meanwhile, I see them out on the trails with pictures testing their prototypes, taking hits on the rocks, spending time to refine and get things as right as they can with the smaller-company budgets they have. If I can't get a highly tested product from ARB, I'll incline toward Slee or Dissent myself for products where safety is crucial.
It’s certainly things most of us don’t think about much if at all and should. Great post!

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back