🛠️ Member Build GX 550 Front Winch Bumper options

�Member Build
I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer in this forum, but I'd like to know how these bumpers are designed to handle accidents and what safety testing is being done (My guess is not much.)

On my 200, I had an ARB bumper that was designed to slide back on its mounts a tiny bit in a low-impact collision. This would minimize damage to the frame in a fender bender or minor offroad mishap, with the factory plastics no longer there to take the initial crush. The arb also had a bunch of safety testing performed prior to release.

I worry the bumpers from some of these smaller welders and/or new companies to the market could end up being damage multipliers. I'm mostly concerned about the versions that hold winches. In an accident or trail mishap, these could basically become cannonballs aimed at the radiator. Makes me a little nervous if I don't see any safety testing details.

The small boutique guys with the strongest reputations in the premium Toyota/Lexus space, like Slee and Dissent, don't have anything out yet. Meanwhile, I see them out on the trails with pictures testing their prototypes, taking hits on the rocks, spending time to refine and get things as right as they can with the smaller-company budgets they have. If I can't get a highly tested product from ARB, I'll incline toward Slee or Dissent myself for products where safety is crucial.
It’s certainly things most of us don’t think about much if at all and should. Great post!

I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer in this forum, but I'd like to know how these bumpers are designed to handle accidents and what safety testing is being done (My guess is not much.)

On my 200, I had an ARB bumper that was designed to slide back on its mounts a tiny bit in a low-impact collision. This would minimize damage to the frame in a fender bender or minor offroad mishap, with the factory plastics no longer there to take the initial crush. The arb also had a bunch of safety testing performed prior to release.

I worry the bumpers from some of these smaller welders and/or new companies to the market could end up being damage multipliers. I'm mostly concerned about the versions that hold winches. In an accident or trail mishap, these could basically become cannonballs aimed at the radiator. Makes me a little nervous if I don't see any safety testing details.

The small boutique guys with the strongest reputations in the premium Toyota/Lexus space, like Slee and Dissent, don't have anything out yet. Meanwhile, I see them out on the trails with pictures testing their prototypes, taking hits on the rocks, spending time to refine and get things as right as they can with the smaller-company budgets they have. If I can't get a highly tested product from ARB, I'll incline toward Slee or Dissent myself for products where safety is crucial.
This guy gets it.
You’re changing the dynamics of your crumple zones etc.
This is a completely new design, so I’m gonna wait a bit and see what the competitive industry produces.

I've been doing steel winch bumpers on my trucks for a long time now. As far as I know, ARB was the only manufacturer that did (or had done) actual crash testing and they utilized crush cans in their bumper frame mounts. On the Land Rovers, the ARB crush-can bumpers were also famous for rotating upward and damaging the body work if the bumper hit the ground, in a steep descent for instance.

Of course it is true that a steel winch bumper will change the crash dynamics. If you're not willing to accept this fact, then you must stick with the OEM equipment or wait and see if any companies come out with full crash-tested bumpers. I doubt that the Lexus GX550 will specifically be on ARB's radar but the new Land Cruiser probably is....if it's a direct-fit swap then the Lexus may be in luck.

Not sure about their testing, but Ironman (generally not held in the same esteem as ARB but a big brand) has had bumpers on sliding mounts that at least protect the frame (not to mention the bumper itself) in certain types of collisions. And they've had models for past Lexuses. I expect we'll see from inter-brand compatibility among future ARB bumpers too, but it will probably be a while.

I know everyone's needs are different, but mine don't involve climbing over fields of rocks and boulders or up extremely steep, low-traction surfaces. I think most people who go over that stuff have more purpose-focused rigs than our Swiss Army knife GXs. I expect to use a winch in my GX the same way as in my old Land Cruiser--as a recovery device in the rare situations I get stuck and can't get out with my 4 traction boards (which take care of 90% of problems). And in those recovery situations, I've almost always wanted to go backwards. I have a hitch-mounted rear winch for now for that purpose, and I expect I'll skip the front winch to optimize the highway safety of my rig. But again, that's just me, based on my needs. And I might change my mind as my travels or the available products evolve.

Last edited:
Back