GX550 30 Day Stop Sale?

If my car was supposed to initally arrive end of June / early July but is on hold in Japan / boat....does this mean it will be delayed 56 days AND then need another 4 to 6 weeks to arrive in Texas ?? Would that mean I am looking at September type delivery ?

If my car was supposed to initally arrive end of June / early July but is on hold in Japan / boat....does this mean it will be delayed 56 days AND then need another 4 to 6 weeks to arrive in Texas ?? Would that mean I am looking at September type delivery ?
As far as I know the delay is only when it gets to port, before sending off to individual dealerships. So I'd add 56 days to your original ETA.

You should call your salesman and ask though. We don't know crappola lol

Mine is in Jacksonville too. Fixing them all at once is interesting and would possibly add up. A whole lot to send out to deliver at once when that process is done though.
Would be very inefficient to wait to do them all at one time, because if thatā€™s the case, techs are just wasting time doing nothing right now. Additionally, the manufacturing in Japan isnā€™t going to stop churning, why allow for a backlog. QC burning em out while the plant is churning em out would be efficient.

Still doesnā€™t make sense why the plant in japan would allow units to leave the factory if there is a known problem stopping them at port for QC, or why they arenā€™t just simply fixing the problem before the problem is manufactured. Why newer builds(after QC holds started)are hitting QC is mind boggling. Its like hey, ā€œwe know about these problems, so weā€™ll catch it at port in a QC hold, but donā€™t worry weā€™ll keep on manufacturing the problem too to make it effect more consumersā€

Last edited:
Still doesnā€™t make sense why the plant in japan would allow units to leave the factory if there is a known problem stopping them at port for QC, or why they arenā€™t just simply fixing the problem before the problem is manufactured.

This is very weird to me. Ours just left Japan, and before leaving my sales guy said ours is not part of the QC hold. Just yesterday I inquired again and he said it just got flagged as a hold. It left Japan way after these QC holds started happening.

So, my guess is the QC hold is a number of things they want to inspect - some of which might be caused during shipping. It's definitely the sunroof thing (my sales manager confirmed that). But could be other issues some users have experienced. Paint, suspension... etc.

Toyota's doing a surprisingly shitty job with all of this. 3 of my last 4 vehicle purchases were from Toyota and I was 100% ready to grab the first 550 OT that fit my specs. Now I'm actually thinking a Defender is a smarter choice! How did we get here?

Toyota's doing a surprisingly shitty job with all of this. 3 of my last 4 vehicle purchases were from Toyota and I was 100% ready to grab the first 550 OT that fit my specs. Now I'm actually thinking a Defender is a smarter choice! How did we get here?
I will agree somewhat as far as transparency I agree 100% with you and as much as Iā€™m furious I believe in my heart of hearts when we finally get our GXā€™s we will be rewarded I could be wrong weā€™ll have to see

Still doesnā€™t make sense why the plant in japan would allow units to leave the factory if there is a known problem stopping them at port for QC, or why they arenā€™t just simply fixing the problem before the problem is manufactured. Why newer builds(after QC holds started)are hitting QC is mind boggling. Its like hey, ā€œwe know about these problems, so weā€™ll catch it at port in a QC hold, but donā€™t worry weā€™ll keep on manufacturing the problem too to make it effect more consumersā€
This! šŸ‘†šŸ¼

Itā€™s all such a weird, confusing situation.

I donā€™t think its a coincidence that they began holding all GXā€™s and LCā€™s around the same time they issued recall for tundraā€™s and LXā€™s.

I also donā€™t think its a coincidence that the initial 30 day holds turned into 56 day holds. 56 days holds from 5/17 just happens to also coincide with the timeline they have given themselves in the recall to notify Tundra and LX customers of what the fix will be, which was notice to tundra/LX owners by mid/late July

Best case scenario is that they are intensively checking all LCā€™s and GXā€™s in the same manner they are studying Tundraā€™s and LXā€™s to resolve the issue before they even land in customer hands.

If GX and LC engineā€™s start failing too, then toyota/lexus is really screwed. My theory is they are trying to stop the bleeding now.

If its the engineā€™s they want to inspect of every unit at port, that makes more sense to me than them allegedly fixing paint, sunroof drainage, and suspension problems that are already known and could have been stopped at the plant.

Hell, this is Tahara weā€™re talking aboutā€¦ they delayed 2-3 months for the moving in neutral issue in February and stopped any from leaving the plant. Why on earth would they now allow them to leave the plant with known paint, drainage, or suspension issues?

I donā€™t think its a coincidence that they began holding all GXā€™s and LCā€™s around the same time they issued recall for tundraā€™s and LXā€™s.

I also donā€™t think its a coincidence that the initial 30 day holds turned into 56 day holds. 56 days holds from 5/17 just happens to also coincide with the timeline they have given themselves in the recall to notify Tundra and LX customers of what the fix will be, which was notice to tundra/LX owners by mid/late July

Best case scenario is that they are intensively checking all LCā€™s and GXā€™s in the same manner they are studying Tundraā€™s and LXā€™s to resolve the issue before they even land in customer hands.

If GX and LC engineā€™s start failing too, then toyota/lexus is really screwed. My theory is they are trying to stop the bleeding now.

If its the engineā€™s they want to inspect of every unit at port, that makes more sense to me than them allegedly fixing paint, sunroof drainage, and suspension problems that are already known and could have been stopped at the plant.

Hell, this is Tahara weā€™re talking aboutā€¦ they delayed 2-3 months for the moving in neutral issue in February and stopped any from leaving the plant. Why on earth would they now allow them to leave the plant with known paint, drainage, or suspension issues?
Agreed, the coincidence is hard to swallow. I'm afraid there's a connection here to the V35A problems as well, but hopefully that's completely wrong. The new LC having a completely different engine pokes a pretty big hole in this theory, so this may be wildly off base. I just know I'm not buying a GX until I'm convinced they have the V35A grenade problem addressed.

Agreed, the coincidence is hard to swallow. I'm afraid there's a connection here to the V35A problems as well, but hopefully that's completely wrong. The new LC having a completely different engine pokes a pretty big hole in this theory, so this may be wildly off base. I just know I'm not buying a GX until I'm convinced they have the V35A grenade problem addressed.
Even with all the engine speculation, Iā€™m not waiting for later 550ā€™sā€¦I need a car now. The alternatives out there are not any more reliableā€¦. My chevy engine just failed, and GM has continued lifter engine issues, so tahoes/yukons would be no different with their AFM cylinder shutoff issues on lifters and transmission, Ford ecoboosts have their problems, the dodge engine ticks, and donā€™t get me started on Jeep. Land rover is notorious for poor longevity too. No offense to older GX 460 owners, but last gen styling in no way speaks to me. I looked at some lx 570ā€™s but none near me have less than like 60k miles, and i donā€™t want to buy a car with that type of mileage

I could look at a Acura MDX but they have no soul or character to me. Infiniti is on the cusp of redesigns.

The German and Italian cars are also not known for reliability. I have family members that own mercedes and audi and thosw vehicles stay in the shop, and the resale value sinks like a rock after year 1.

I say all this because I have to believe that toyota would be committing brand suicide if they have this many different models fail (tundra, sequoia, LC, LX, GX), and no other brand is really better off. People talk about longevity of a car, and i get the value in that, but im at a point financially in my career that im not trying to keep a car until the wheels fall off, im just gonna buy something newā€¦ because I can

Last edited:
Even with all the engine speculation, Iā€™m not waiting for later 550ā€™sā€¦I need a car now. The alternatives out there are not any more reliableā€¦. My chevy engine just failed, and GM has continued lifter engine issues, so tahoes/yukons would be no different with their AFM cylinder shutoff issues on lifters and transmission, Ford ecoboosts have their problems, the dodge engine ticks, and donā€™t get me started on Jeep. Land rover is notorious for poor longevity too. No offense to older GX 460 owners, but last gen styling in no way speaks to me. I looked at some lx 570ā€™s but none near me have less than like 60k miles, and i donā€™t want to buy a car with that type of mileage

I could look at a Acura MDX but they have no soul or character to me. Infiniti is on the cusp of redesigns.

The German and Italian cars are also not known for reliability. I have family members that own mercedes and audi and thosw vehicles stay in the shop, and the resale value sinks like a rock after year 1.

I say all this because I have to believe that toyota would be committing brand suicide if they have this many different models fail (tundra, sequoia, LC, LX, GX), and no other brand is really better off. People talk about longevity of a car, and i get the value in that, but im at a point financially in my career that im not trying to keep a car until the wheels fall off, im just gonna buy something newā€¦ because I can
I agree with your two latest text for myself all I need want is a answer is it one issue or several is it the same as tundras/LXā€™s we will understand maybe not happy but we will understand when told to be given updated none given weā€™re not children shouldnā€™t be treated as such,I have prinsu rr rigid 40 inch spot/flood combo sitting at dealer who will be responsible if they are broken waiting for some guidance NO UPDATES!!!

As far as I know the delay is only when it gets to port, before sending off to individual dealerships. So I'd add 56 days to your original ETA.

You should call your salesman and ask though. We don't know crappola lol
texted with salesman this morning. The car is now in Long Beach on QC hold (was originally on hold in Japan). I asked if he was given a reason for delay - says "quality inspection, not uncommon for a launch". He had not hear of the 56 day hold and said "that's pretty specific" regarding the 56 day hold reported here. I ask if he is thinking timing for arrival at dealership is now closer to September and he reply is "once released it will be here in 3 weeks". LOL. Once again forums have more information than the dealers.

I agree with your two latest text for myself all I need want is a answer is it one issue or several is it the same as tundras/LXā€™s we will understand maybe not happy but we will understand when told to be given updated none given weā€™re not children shouldnā€™t be treated as such,I have prinsu rr rigid 40 inch spot/flood combo sitting at dealer who will be responsible if they are broken waiting for some guidance NO UPDATES!!!
Saw my salesman today a itsy bitsy piece, possibly good news for me they received a luxury + yesterday it was on the same ship mine was on 5/20/24 possibly good news donā€™t know from other sources not from my salesman. Mine is on a 56 day hold.

Saw my salesman today a itsy bitsy piece, possibly good news for me they received a luxury + yesterday it was on the same ship mine was on 5/20/24 possibly good news donā€™t know from other sources not from my salesman. Mine is on a 56 day hold.
Was the luxury + on a official hold as well? THX!

What trim is yours?

On FB, thereā€™s quite a number of Lux+ getting delivered to owners in the past couple of days. No Lux šŸ˜”

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)