GX550 Aftermarket Wheel & Tire Thread

For those interested in wheel and tire swaps, this thread serves as a helpful resource. A common question we often encounter is about offset and its effect on the stance of the vehicle. If you've recently switched to new wheels & tires, we'd appreciate it if you could contribute by sharing the wheel/tire size, offset, and detailed photos

Here's an example of 18x9 wheels mounted with 265/70r18 tires. The wheels have a negative 0 offset.
View attachment 844

View attachment 845
(Photo credit S. Yoon - GX550 Owners FB Group)
Do you get much tyre scrub at the front?

The stock Toyo Open Country AT3s are 32.6" in diameter according to the manufacturer's specs.
What’s the ply on these Toyo tyres that come with the GX and do you reckon they would be any good if I am dropping the pressure to 20 PSI on a regular basis to do sand and outback driving (I live in Australia)?

The stock Toyos are load range SL and they should be fine at 20 psi for flotation on sand. When it's time to replace tires, or upgrade, of course I'd go up to C or E if you feel E is really necessary. On all my past trucks (Land Rovers) I've had load range E but on my new 35" Toyos I went with load range C. If I rip a sidewall on a rock then shame on me - I'll replace with Load Range E.

The stock Toyos are load range SL and they should be fine at 20 psi for flotation on sand. When it's time to replace tires, or upgrade, of course I'd go up to C or E if you feel E is really necessary. On all my past trucks (Land Rovers) I've had load range E but on my new 35" Toyos I went with load range C. If I rip a sidewall on a rock then shame on me - I'll replace with Load Range E.
Good recommendations!

Im going with E rating. I like the toyos will stay with them. Think I am going to go with 275/70r18’s just a little bigger

I just got my White Overtrail+ home today and the wheels are 'ok', not bad.... but I'm thinking about
getting these Method 316 wheels in matte black. Do they look black enough?

Method 316 Matte Black Capture.JPG

OR the 314's
314 Methods Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I just got my White Overtrail+ home today and the wheels are 'ok', not bad.... but I'm thinking about

View attachment 3407
OR the 314's
View attachment 3409
I think the 314’s will look sick! I will live with the factory wheels for a while before switch tyres and wheels just to get used to the drive.

O.Z. Rally Raid, 18x8.5 +35
Falken AT4W, 285/70/18, C load

No lift and no rub after removing the small covers in the wheel well behind tire.

View attachment 3080
View attachment 3082
How do these tires ride compared to the stock OT tires? Really would like to know how quiet they are too. They get really good reviews. I’m eying a similar setup, but have had BFG KO2 C-load for years. Have you tested full flex yet? More pics? Apologies if you already answered this elsewhere!

View attachment 3407
OR the 314's
View attachment 3409
I don't know if Method has the correct bolt pattern and offset in those series of wheels. When I purchased mine (July) all they had to fit the GX550 was the 703s. I wanted 701s but they didn't have our fitment.

How do these tires ride compared to the stock OT tires? Really would like to know how quiet they are too. They get really good reviews. I’m eying a similar setup, but have had BFG KO2 C-load for years. Have you tested full flex yet? More pics? Apologies if you already answered this elsewhere!
Really like them so far. About 800 miles on em and they've broken in a bit and feel great. Running at 30 psi. Steering and turn in is still quick and I honestly can't tell much difference from the Toyos in that regard. They do make the rig feel slightly heavier from a stop but not by much could be in my head because they are heavier tire. Great on highway and amazing in the rain. I went with these over Toyo, Cooper and Nitto mostly because of the performance in rain and snow/ice. Have not a had a chance to wheel them yet so can't comment on that. Noise is similar to the Toyos, pretty quiet around town and only the typical quality AT hum on the highway. The OT+ roof rack is way louder than the tires lol. Can't go wrong with any of the options out there honestly. I almost went with the Coopers in the slightly smaller size in tbe SL load, but super happy with the Falken AT4W's so far. We are getting about 13.9 mpg w/ mostly city driving. Closer to 14.5 highway. I think the roof rack is playing a role as well though.with the mpg.

Oh, and I've had KO2s on a lifted F150, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on a lifted 4Runner and the Falkens are just a better tire imo.

20240901_183501.jpg
20240901_184826.jpg

Last edited:
I am a little confused about the way Westcott describes his collar lift. He says the collar gives you more preload, thus raising you vehicle, while maintaining the same suspension travel and path. Wouldn't 35s still rub at full compression with that lift then?

Really like them so far. About 800 miles on em and they've broken in a bit and feel great. Running at 30 psi. Steering and turn in is still quick and I honestly can't tell much difference from the Toyos in that regard. They do make the rig feel slightly heavier from a stop but not by much could be in my head because they are heavier tire. Great on highway and amazing in the rain. I went with these over Toyo, Cooper and Nitto mostly because of the performance in rain and snow/ice. Have not a had a chance to wheel them yet so can't comment on that. Noise is similar to the Toyos, pretty quiet around town and only the typical quality AT hum on the highway. The OT+ roof rack is way louder than the tires lol. Can't go wrong with any of the options out there honestly. I almost went with the Coopers in the slightly smaller size in tbe SL load, but super happy with the Falken AT4W's so far. We are getting about 13.9 mpg w/ mostly city driving. Closer to 14.5 highway. I think the roof rack is playing a role as well though.with the mpg.

Oh, and I've had KO2s on a lifted F150, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on a lifted 4Runner and the Falkens are just a better tire imo.

View attachment 3473View attachment 3475
Look amazing, the alternating tread on the edge makes them look like mud tyres!

I am a little confused about the way Westcott describes his collar lift. He says the collar gives you more preload, thus raising you vehicle, while maintaining the same suspension travel and path. Wouldn't 35s still rub at full compression with that lift then?
The pre-load collar is installed within the spring & shock assembly (as opposed to a spacer which is installed above or below the spring & shock assembly). All the pre-load collar does is tighten up the coils of the spring a bit. A tightened spring is stiffer and less compressed, all else being equal, so the result is that the truck is raised up a bit. The control arms (double wishbones) still follow the same path and the bumpstop is still utilized. The change, however, is that the shock body is extended a bit more over OEM conditions because we've tightened up the spring a bit, thereby pushing out the shock strut a bit (just like we've pushed up - or lifted - the truck a bit). So that same shock now has a bit less travel than it had under original conditions. It might not be able to compress as much and/or it might not be able to extend as much as it could originally.

Whether or not the 35s rub under full compression is related to the inner wheel well size. I don't know if 35s would even rub under full compression with the stock suspension. The "lift" lifts the truck (and wheel wells) up vertically a bit and the different wheels also push the wheel & tire out a bit. There are a lot of variables involved.

With the Wescott pre-load collar lift, I think you are probably losing a small amount of compression and a small amount of extension, but I am not sure. We need to run a RTI test on a stock Overtrail then install the Westcott pre-load collar lift and re-measure. Would be interesting to see the numbers with all stock suspension and wheels and tires, then only with the pre-load collar lift, then with the pre-load collar lift plus new wheels and tires.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)