GX550 Real World MPG

We finally picked up our GX last Thurs. We were approx 325 miles from home. Very happy with its performance so far. I cautiously report that we went 384 very easy miles on 2 lane blacktop and include a 60 mile gravel road trip after we got home. I filled up today with 14.7 gal. Pleasant surprise my wife drove on the 300 miles home and I drove our other vehicle. So I have started a manual calculation book to see what happens next on mileage. Speeds 65 and below cool day not much A/C 25 MPG. No turbo runs just to break her in.

We finally picked up our GX last Thurs. We were approx 325 miles from home. Very happy with its performance so far. I cautiously report that we went 384 very easy miles on 2 lane blacktop and include a 60 mile gravel road trip after we got home. I filled up today with 14.7 gal. Pleasant surprise my wife drove on the 300 miles home and I drove our other vehicle. So I have started a manual calculation book to see what happens next on mileage. Speeds 65 and below cool day not much A/C 25 MPG. No turbo runs just to break her in.
So your saying you got 25 mpg?

Yes. I have to think that the tank level was varied from the fill level at the start of the trip? But still it was ideal trip for mileage no load in the GX only the driver no roof rack easy on the throttle and both up and downhill runs. Tires at 38lbs. Premium fuel. Yes I will accept the plaque in the contest:giggle:lol

What model GX (what tires)?

Picked our Premium + this week with 6 miles on the odometer. Ours has the OEM roof rack. First 60+ miles, mostly city driving and idling, averaged 9.6 mpg. Was prepared for the worse lol .. Took it backroads for an easy drive, 40-55 mph and it went up to 19mpg. On a 80 miles drive today, mostly highway at 50-75 mph we got slightly over 21 mpg. Still think the tank is way to small, doesn't even show a range of above 290 miles when we we fill it up.
I'm gunning for your record next week when I pick mine up from the dealer in SoCal and driving home to WA State. I'll be wearing just my underwear and have nothing but a toothbrush for cargo. No roof rack stock OT, 150 psi...

My experience with mine is once i go above 65 mph, it kills any mpg over 20-21. 65 mph and below on cruise control is the most efficient way to achieve higher mpg in the 550.

With that said, I didn’t buy the car to be economical on gas. I enjoy experiencing the turbos from time to time

Just finished a trip from wa state to San and back. Drove over 3000 miles altogether. Average mileage going south 20-21 mpg 75-77 mph.

Coming back was 20 mpg until driving from Sacramento to Medford Oregon, avg mpg was about 18.5 was driving into headwinds the entire way.
The remaining was about 19.5 mpg.

On the "Things I hate about my GX" thread, we were talking about the truck computer's indicated range when filling up. My last indicated range was only 220 miles (which is really plus 7% or 235 miles on my truck with the 35" tires). The dismal range was because my last tank was all city driving with a meager 12.28 calculated mpg.

I'm posting here on this thread because it's the "Real World MPG" thread.

Anyway, I just filled up this morning for the sake of convenience and I put in 16.69 gallons so I had 4.41 gallons remaining. My numbers are 261 miles driven and 15.65 mpg! This is my second-best mpg rating, second only to a full tank of 100% highway miles driving back to AZ from CA.

My numbers went up so much because I drove 170 highway miles yesterday all around the greater Phx area going between job sites. I drove in Eco mode and just kept pace with traffic - some long runs of 80+ mph but most was in the 60s.

So, I have therefore decided that with each new tank of gas, I will make sure to drive a good 150 or so miles around town on the highways to keep my mpg rating up above 15 mpg. Think of all the gas I'll save!

On the "Things I hate about my GX" thread, we were talking about the truck computer's indicated range when filling up. My last indicated range was only 220 miles (which is really plus 7% or 235 miles on my truck with the 35" tires). The dismal range was because my last tank was all city driving with a meager 12.28 calculated mpg.

I'm posting here on this thread because it's the "Real World MPG" thread.

Anyway, I just filled up this morning for the sake of convenience and I put in 16.69 gallons so I had 4.41 gallons remaining. My numbers are 261 miles driven and 15.65 mpg! This is my second-best mpg rating, second only to a full tank of 100% highway miles driving back to AZ from CA.

My numbers went up so much because I drove 170 highway miles yesterday all around the greater Phx area going between job sites. I drove in Eco mode and just kept pace with traffic - some long runs of 80+ mph but most was in the 60s.

So, I have therefore decided that with each new tank of gas, I will make sure to drive a good 150 or so miles around town on the highways to keep my mpg rating up above 15 mpg. Think of all the gas I'll save

I've hired a flatbed to drive my GX around on back - seeing an improvement to about 16.1mpg. By the time I add in the driver wages and renting the truck - I can off set that with the dramatic fuel savings I'm seeing. A bit tough to get the truck into the garage at night - but thinking I could hire a contractor to help remodel the garage - again, fully funded with gas savings.

Wonder if I should try driving only down hill for October and compare the results?

• Haha
Reactions: MJE
OK you guys I'm taking out the spare tire. I have noticed that the radar is a negative for sure on mileage. I haven't filled up again since we got home so one of these days going to have to post 15 MPG. Hope to start some mods soon and take time for pics. thanks for the humor.

OK you guys I'm taking out the spare tire. I have noticed that the radar is a negative for sure on mileage. I haven't filled up again since we got home so one of these days going to have to post 15 MPG. Hope to start some mods soon and take time for pics. thanks for the humor.
The spare tire area would be a great location for a larger gas tank...

The stock Overtrail spare tire down there is a 265/70/18.

That's 32.6" diameter and 10.4" wide.

A cylinder 32" x 10" can hold 34 gallons.

A qualified shop could easily make an aluminum cylinder tank with the proper fittings.

I was exploring this option with my old Land Rover. Getting an auxiliary tank to play nicely with all the bullshit emissions and vapor recovery systems is a pain in the ass. But having the auxiliary tank as a simple holding tank that you manually pump into the main tank when needed is feasible. It could be as simple as Teeing an aux fill line into the main tank fill line with a valve on the aux fill line that is always closed except when you turn on the aux pump to fill 'er up. With some proper vent lines and solenoids it could all be done remotely.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back