🧑‍💻 GX550 Tech Tips and Tricks

This is true of HUD on any vehicle. As previously noted, HUD is a reflection and polarized lenses are meant to reduce / eliminate reflections. Go buy a pair of non-polarized sunglasses to keep in the vehicle. They're hard to find. I've found them at REI and Dick's Sporting goods. Go to the cheap sunglasses section. I paid $20.00 for one pair and $25.00 for another.

On the left hand side of the camera screen (when in Drive and not Reverse) I believe the 2nd icon from the bottom is a camera icon with an 'A' on it. Press that icon to turn off the auto display mode for the camera.
Thank you!! I had this same issue. It was really annoying. There are all these nanny features that I have to learn to disable.

Reactions: JPE
This is true of HUD on any vehicle. As previously noted, HUD is a reflection and polarized lenses are meant to reduce / eliminate reflections. Go buy a pair of non-polarized sunglasses to keep in the vehicle. They're hard to find. I've found them at REI and Dick's Sporting goods. Go to the cheap sunglasses section. I paid $20.00 for one pair and $25.00 for another.
OR you can go to one of the aftermarket lens companies like Revant or Fuse Lenses, and take your pick of colors of non-polarized replacement lenses for your fav pair of Maui Jim/Oakley/Costa (or whatever) glasses that got scratched up, for about $30

Here is a small tech idea that I thought I would share. I added a phone mount on the center console in front of the cup holders, and I use a 90 degree usb c adapter with a short cable that has a 90 degree sideways adapter to plug into my phone. That keeps my phone secured and charging without getting in the way.

Attachments

• 20240804_202023.jpg
    20240804_202023.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20240804_202016.jpg
    20240804_202016.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20240804_202007.jpg
    20240804_202007.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20240805_090727.jpg
    20240805_090727.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 153
Here is a small tech idea that I thought I would share. I added a phone mount on the center console in front of the cup holders, and I use a 90 degree usb c adapter with a short cable that has a 90 degree sideways adapter to plug into my phone. That keeps my phone secured and charging without getting in the way.
Do you have the factory wireless charger? I have it and I don’t like the position. I actually still like to use my phone as a controller and want it in my line of sight and easily accessible. I currently have a windshield suction mount leftover from my Macan but I’m curious if anyone is using a dash suction mount. I didn’t do this on the Macan because it had a leather dash and I isn’t want to damage it. The gx does not appear to have a leather dash.

do you have an amazon link to the items used for this? It looks great!

As others have pointed out, the lack of phone placement options lead me to buy this seat gap filler from Amazon which has a cut out that perfectly fits an iPhone 15 with a slim case on it. I ran my USBC charger from the rear port under my seat to hide it as much as possible.

I originally tried to replicate @SethGX setup but just couldn’t get it setup perfectly right, so gave up on the mounting idea and went with a more convenient way to store my phone while still being accessible. This seat gap filler fits snug with my GX, so would recommend.

I ordered black emblem overlays from eBay and a matt/gloss black front badge cover from Etsy which should be arriving in the next week - can post pictures after install if anyone is interested.

I think I know the answer, but has anyone discovered a way to retain ALL driver aid settings each time the car is turned off and back on ? Very annoying to have to disable everything on each startup in my case . . . Thanks!

Do you have the factory wireless charger? I have it and I don’t like the position. I actually still like to use my phone as a controller and want it in my line of sight and easily accessible. I currently have a windshield suction mount leftover from my Macan but I’m curious if anyone is using a dash suction mount. I didn’t do this on the Macan because it had a leather dash and I isn’t want to damage it. The gx does not appear to have a leather dash.
I have the wireless charger but I don't like the location either.

nope, not true. my Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota Grand Highlander both had no issues with polarized sunglasses and the HUD!

OR you can go to one of the aftermarket lens companies like Revant or Fuse Lenses, and take your pick of colors of non-polarized replacement lenses for your fav pair of Maui Jim/Oakley/Costa (or whatever) glasses that got scratched up, for about $30
Can't for us who need prescription sunglasses :-(

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%