Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

Redline

Jun 23, 2024
USA
Just got the 2024 Lexus GX 550 Luxury +, and the sound from the "Mark Levinson®* 21-speaker, 1800-watt Surround Sound" is simply terrible. In one word, I would describe it as sounding "anemic". For comparison, our GX 460 sounds very full, with good bass, and overall sounds rich and visceral.

This is after trying various audio inputs (lossless audio via Apple Music, Sirius XM, FM radio, podcasts) and with various adjustments to the audio settings (adjusting the treble/mid/bass settings, turning surround on/off, turning off the volume leveling).

I am just wondering if I am the only one noticing this, or if there are any reasonable modifications? For the cost of this vehicle, I simply expect much better than this..

Last edited:
I didn't like it when I drove off the lot. Gave it a couple hundred miles ie listening time to break in and now I love it. Throw on Tool Pnuema at level 40 and its about as good as that song can sound. I listen on Tidal and have slightly tweaked the settings. There are a few modes / options etc that are burried in a couple screens

Throw on Tool Pnuema at level 40 and its about as good as that song can sound.
Awesome song BTW. Interesting example, because I would describe that track as mid and treble heavy with minimal bass. So, it speaks to one of the other comments earlier.

Awesome song BTW. Interesting example, because I would describe that track as mid and treble heavy with minimal bass. So, it speaks to one of the other comments earlier.
Exactly - you can always dial up bass and muddy the song with an average car stereo. More important to have clear highs and mids and add a separate sub if you really want quality bass. Most car stereos over produce bass bc thats what they think the end user wants but that is not the signature of a good stereo. I listen to all genres from Travis Scott to Tyler Childers and I've been pleasantly surprised by the ML understanding that its a $1k stereo not a $5k Porsche Burmester

Just got the 2024 Lexus GX 550 Luxury +, and the sound from the "Mark Levinson®* 21-speaker, 1800-watt Surround Sound" is simply terrible. In one word, I would describe it as sounding "anemic". For comparison, our GX 460 sounds very full, with good bass, and overall sounds rich and visceral.

This is after trying various audio inputs (lossless audio via Apple Music, Sirius XM, FM radio, podcasts) and with various adjustments to the audio settings (adjusting the treble/mid/bass settings, turning surround on/off, turning off the volume leveling).

I am just wondering if I am the only one noticing this, or if there are any reasonable modifications? For the cost of this vehicle, I simply expect much better than this..

Also note that its the cost of the stereo add on not the cost of the vehicle that should be the reference point here.

Exactly - you can always dial up bass and muddy the song with an average car stereo. More important to have clear highs and mids and add a separate sub if you really want quality bass. Most car stereos over produce bass bc thats what they think the end user wants but that is not the signature of a good stereo. I listen to all genres from Travis Scott to Tyler Childers and I've been pleasantly surprised by the ML understanding that its a $1k stereo not a $5k Porsche Burmester
Serious question - I used to be really into audio, home and auto. But i've lived with factory auto stuff for a long time now, which at the moment means the FIsher-price sound system in a 2017 4Runner and a covid era, busted supply chain Silverado.

Would you spend the $ to get the ML system? Or could we do a lot better for the $ at a good aftermarket audio shop?

Last edited:
Serious question - I used to be really into audio, home and auto. But i've lived with factory auto stuff for a long time now, which at the moment means the FIsher-price sound system in a 2017 4Runner and a covid era, busted supply chain Silverado.

Would you spend the $ to get the ML system? Or could we do a lot better for the $ at a good aftermarket audio shop?
$4000 at a high end audio shop will beat the ML for sure. I’m tired of shops running wires all over my cars. Popping door panels off and messing stuff up. But sound wise you would 100% win

Can't speak from experience with the GX550 (yet), but all coned speakers need a break-in period in order for them to pickup the full mid and low end ranges. I will try to remember this when we finally get our Luxury+.

Agreed and I feel this was evident on my ML sound system. Checked my settings today. I have the surround sound on, treble down one click, mids and bass left alone. My first review of the car was very negative on the ML. 1600 miles later and I'm a big fan and think you get what you paid for in the $1k upgrade (ie an audio shop would not take the base stereo and do a better upgrade for $1k).

IMO the ML sound system is just fine and worth the $$. It accurately reproduces the sound source. This is a completely subjective topic. If the criteria is to thump the car next to you at a stop light, no it will not do that. Nor is that accurate reproduction of most audio content. I'm happy Lexus did not drink the exaggerated bass kool aid. With a couple of tweaks (again very subjective, slight increase to the highs and lows, and slight decrease to the mids in my case) I think it sounds great.

How long a break in period you think?
Normal break in time is around 20-30 hours but should continue up to around 100 hours. Need to remember, that car sound systems are designed differently and that this Lexus system may not sound as good to your ears as say a Mercedes system. Honestly, I really like the factory system that is in my Ram Limited but it also took a little while to break in.

Interesting post. Now I'm curious to see how the $1,800 ML upgrade sounds when mine arrives.

Is there an actual subwoofer and just no separate controls for it in the audio settings?

There appears to be multiple subs all over the vehicle (all doors including back hatch, presumably somewhere in the dash, etc....) instead of one main one. Which partially explains Lexus' claim of good sound no matter where you're sitting.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)