Roof Rack Removal?

Jeff Williams

Aug 4, 2024
Connecticut
Just took posssession of a 2024 Lexus GX550 Luxury+. Drove home (to Connecticut) from Charlotte yesterday.

The dealer delivered the vehicle with a roof rack and I am puzzled about how to remove it. Any guidance in this forum or other sources?

Just took posssession of a 2024 Lexus GX550 Luxury+. Drove home (to Connecticut) from Charlotte yesterday.

The dealer delivered the vehicle with a roof rack and I am puzzled about how to remove it. Any guidance in this forum or other sources?
Any chance you have pictures of the rack on the lux? Does it have different side rails? I’m trying to see how I can put racks on mine but it has the real thin side rails. Seems different than the OTs.

I don’t have any photos (and our GX is on the road right now).
The rails on the Lux are thin, tight (or close) to the roof, and different from the OT’s.
Each rail has two slots or depressions with one forward and one toward the rear. These slots or depressions are the locations of the fastening plates to which the roof rack posts are bolted. Plastic covers snap tightly over the slots and are simple to remove with a flathead screwdriver.
Once the cover is removed, the lower ends of the roof rack posts are easily lowered onto the fastening plates. Take care to align the hole in the base of the rack mounting post with the threaded hole in the rail fastening plate .
There were four bolts provided with our rack which we screwed through the base of the rack mounting posts into the fastening plate on the roof rail.
Tightening the bolt requires a T-30 sized, Torx star shaped Allen wrench.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 64.3%
Back