Switch from a LC200 to a GX550?

damdifino

Oct 15, 2024
Comfort, TX
By way of introduction, I live in the Texas Hill Country and have driven my 2009 LC200 for 236,000 virtually trouble-free miles. However, I have the itch for an upgrade to something with more up-to-date tech, namely an OT or OT+. My main concern is reliability. Hard to beat the LC200! I'm looking forward to learning all about the GX550.

Good question. I just handed the 2008 LC200 keys to our adult son and began driving GX550 Lux+ a few weeks ago. After 700 miles I think I can partially respond to your question. First, with your LC200 if you intend on having if for 200,000 more miles, watch the latest long YouTube video by Car Care Nut about caring for that V8. We just had ACC garage overhaul a number of mechanical maintenance issues on our 210,000 LC engine and we are confident it will keep rolling for the next 210,000 miles with appropriate services.

Now, about the GX… unlike all hype “off road” videos I have a particular weird primary requirement for my daily driver… life-safety. I do not see this vehicle as a mythical St. Bernard mountain rescue unit… you can call these body on frame trucks “pavement princesses” or “grocery-retrieval units” my aspiration is to get home safely in a city driving context. ¿ Can a stolen bank truck T-bone me at a downtown intersection and will my vehicle’s size, passenger position, and safety features largely decrease the risk of life-altering injuries for those inside? If Lexus marketed to me it would be all “safety & long-haul reliability.” I get the fantasy of safari ruggedness but I’m simply giving you my personal matrix for this truck.

Ugly first:
Gas mileage is probably the worst in the land. Tow hitch receiver cover is bamboon butt ugly. The on road body roll is awesomely appropriate for exactly what the GX is: body on frame truck… if you want tight handling get a BMW X7 or Macan. Those are fun… but long haul reliability… not so much…

Favorite 3 things:
1) driver position and safety sense technology's feedback and attention features. User interface difference from 2008 LC200 to 2024 GX550 is enormous and if you are the kind of person that appreciates feedback and alerts the new features are wisely welcomed. Our world is perpetually distracted and don’t lie to yourself, I need user interface to keep my attention where it belongs.

2) engine pickup and braking and steering. If you waste this much gasoline you better experience the upside… and the engine, torque and stopping are solid. It is a giant step forward from LC200

3) video rear view camera, heads up display, lane keeping, traffic self-driving features are great things from 20 years ago that will help keep the GX driver experience somewhat current.

We bought the 7 passenger GX because we have grandchildren and sometime we may let their parents ride in “the way back” to dinner with us (and the VIP grands)….

Let’s be clear, the GX is marketed as a mountain conqueror but the truth is you can go buy many vehicles that you can climb mountains with that are not safe in a congested, complex driving environment.

This is a machine for moving in mundane ways among many equally or more distracted drivers. I am extraordinarily happy with what this vehicle does but it is costly and will be costly to operate, Lord willing, for the next 14 years…

Attachments

• IMG_7763.jpeg
    IMG_7763.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7462.jpeg
    IMG_7462.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7415.jpeg
    IMG_7415.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back