Towing Mirrors

LClexus550

Feb 24, 2024
Southern California
What are people doing for towing mirrors? These mirrors look rather tucked in and it doesn’t look like there is a wide angle option.
I will purchase a GX by the end of this year.
I use a clamp on mirror to tow the Airstream now, but was hoping for a better choice.
Thanks

Any updates on this topic? My GX 550 OT+ should be fully capable of towing a single-axle off-road camper with a GVWR at around 7500 pounds (I don't own one yet, but there are several on the market). The issue will be camper body width, which is typically 84-ish inches. Must find workable mirror extenders, or else the GX is simply not usable or safe to tow a standard camper.

No replies on the mirror topic. Canceled my order in favor of a fully optioned Tundra.
I have towed with Dometic clamp on extension mirrors (they are ok). They didn’t damage the mirror housing on a Tacoma.
Hoping the wider vehicle and the surround view cameras are sufficient.
There is an available wireless rear trailer view camera that I may also try.

I know the OP has moved on to a Tunda (we have a 2024 Tundra that tows are 23 foot Airstream wonderfully - although we usually use the GX since I like a smaller vehicle once we're at our location - which also tows it well). However, I wanted to mention that we use these:

MILENCO Dometic DM-2899 Aero3 Towing Mirror (Twin)

They work well for our 23 Airstream and are easy to install. (link to Amazon).

Thanks, I’m sure either vehicle should tow pretty well. It’s great that you have
options :) Those are the mirrors I use now. I was hoping there might be a factory option. Those mirrors really work well but I’ve always been careful to find the sweet spot between crunching the mirror plastic and having them fly off down the road.

Hoping that the wider vehicle and surround view cameras are OK but if I have to, I’ll go back to those mirrors.

Thanks, I’m sure either vehicle should tow pretty well. It’s great that you have
options :) Those are the mirrors I use now. I was hoping there might be a factory option. Those mirrors really work well but I’ve always been careful to find the sweet spot between crunching the mirror plastic and having them fly off down the road.

Hoping that the wider vehicle and surround view cameras are OK but if I have to, I’ll go back to those mirrors.
LOL, yeah, we've been paranoid about crushing the frame around the mirrors as well.

I think you'll find the mirrors on the Tundra work well. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have them out just a touch more, but I can use them without issue with our 23' AS.

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 69.2%
Back