What color will age the best?

deadlikeme

Jun 29, 2024
US
Friends - What color do you think will age and wear the best?

My current Toyota is a lovely black with blue fleck and has held up poorly over the past four years. I have heard Toyota is known for their thin paint.

Of the current color choices, what colors do you think will hold up to abuse the best? My plan is to use this vehicle like a truck and it will go down lots of overgrown trails and fire service roads .

For my reservation, I have Nori Green, Incognito and White as my three preferred choices. And am guessing White and Incognito will hold up the best of any of the options. (We are looking at the premium+, so the tan color is out unfortunately.)

White will definetly hold up over time. I just sold my 21 year old Landcruiser and all I had to do was keep it clean and wax it every once and awhile.

Exactly what failures have happened in your black color?
More small scratches than I would expect. My previous daily driver was a GMC Canyon , also black that saw a lot more abuse, was driven off road a fair bit and hauled lumber with regularity and had much less visible scratches. More than that, on the hood, there is a body line where the paint has worn off at the crease in the sheet metal the full width of the hood across. Nothing would have rubbed it like a strap or something, so I am guessing the wear has just been air/dust/etc from normal driving which doesn't feel like should be a failure point.

Not really concerned with appearance of the car, looks good from more than a few feet away. Just curious people's experience with other Lexus products and if particular colors hold up better. Love the look of the green but would be disappointed if it wore like our current Toyota, particularly because my hope is to have the GX for a decade plus.

I like white, being down here in Texas in the oven most of the year white does not get a hot when baking in the summer sun. Here is my 2013 GX460 next to the new GX550. The 2013 GX460 still looks good, but It does need a wash...

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 70
#1 Atomic Silver
#2 Earth

Distance third is everything else with Incognito at the bottom. Anything “opaque” non metallic will not age well.
Isn’t earth opaque and non metallic? I would probably add that to bottom of the list as well. It’s one of the trendy colors which will likely go away soon.

Isn’t earth opaque and non metallic? I would probably add that to bottom of the list as well. It’s one of the trendy colors which will likely go away soon.
Nope, both Earth and Atomic are metallics. I wanted to love Incognito but after seeing all the colors in person it quickly fell to the bottom of my list.

Earth and Atomic really surprised me in person. The metallic is super “fine”. Nori and Caviar are “coarser” and not as appealing in my book.

Earth and Atomic really surprised me in person. The metallic is super “fine”. Nori and Caviar are “coarser” and not as appealing in my book.
I think Lexus did a really good job with the color line up. Feels differentiated but none that I dislike. I thought I didn't like the Mica but saw it in person and it looked great. The only option that is completely out for us is nightfall but that has nothing to do with aesthetics, just heat and hiding dirt.

I think Lexus did a really good job with the color line up. Feels differentiated but none that I dislike. I thought I didn't like the Mica but saw it in person and it looked great. The only option that is completely out for us is nightfall but that has nothing to do with aesthetics, just heat and hiding dirt.
Agreed.

This was actually my interpretation of the question at first. Not which colors will have the paint wear out fastest, but which color will look out of date soonest. Except it seems the colors they’ve chosen are pretty subdued. About the only specialized one I can find, other than Earth, is Nori Green. Which really I’m not sure it’d ever not look nice on these.

IMO Lexus has chosen wisely with all the color choices. Obviously you can’t go wrong with white or black or anything in between. Personally I chose OT+ earth with black roof bc I like the contrast. And feel it’s a “call back” to classic LC’s. My second choice would have been white and some bronze aftermarket wheels.

This was actually my interpretation of the question at first. Not which colors will have the paint wear out fastest, but which color will look out of date soonest. Except it seems the colors they’ve chosen are pretty subdued. About the only specialized one I can find, other than Earth, is Nori Green. Which really I’m not sure it’d ever not look nice on these.
I meant it as a bit of both TBH both handle scratches and age well while also not feeling dated in terms of looks.

I would protect the areas on the vehicle that you suspect will be vulnerable to scratches with PPF while it is in good condition. PPF is not permanent but it is protective against most normal wear. Mine is going strong at 8 years on my Tundra. It can be replaced when it looks beat up and your paint will still be good. Any color will look great when kept clean and waxed or ceramic coated. The wax keeps dirt from digging into the paint so it's just kind of how much care you have time for to make the paint last. I put PPF on the hood and entire front painted surfaces. I try to get road dirt off of the truck asap after storms or dirt road driving. When water doesn't bead up and run off then it's time for wax again. The PPF really helps keep the paint from wear and you just wax it like the rest.

I went back and forth and settled on the Nebula Gray. I've always had white or black, so I wanted something in the middle. I was leaning towards the Incognito but felt it was too trendy. The Atomic is pretty awesome. If this was for my wife, I'd her a white one.

All I know is Nori Green is absolutely stunning in all different kinds of lighting. So my vote is that!

Whatever paint you get, I'd recommend a ceramic coat or at least a quick wax job. This will keep looking pretty for years.

Metallics generally hide scratches better than flat paints. My solid back rubicon would show absolutely every spec of dirt or dust, not to mention hairline scratches.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)