What I can’t stand about my GX

doors not locking when walking away from vehicle... )apparently programable by the dealer at 5000 mile one time customization

Yes that works but not the same as just walking away from the vehicle.

Another feature on vehicles with electronic transmissions.. As example.. You can open the door when stopped but still in drive. The vehicle automatically shifts to park. Very very easy to get used to. The gx does the same but.. You have to shift into park and than drove when you return to the vehicle to drive off. Other vehicles having automatically putting vehicle in park only have to engage drive to move vehicle.

The owners manual of gx550 instructs to place in park before opening door.. But In Fact the vehicle does not move if you do not follow the written procedure..

Ymmv

I am confused. If you are going to open the door, why wouldn't you put it in park first? If you want to be able to open the door and have it stay in drive, then the automatic to park is not want you would want. Is this a safety thing for you? Do you often forget to put it in park when you step out of the car?

Yes that works but not the same as just walking away from the vehicle.

Another feature on vehicles with electronic transmissions.. As example.. You can open the door when stopped but still in drive. The vehicle automatically shifts to park. Very very easy to get used to. The gx does the same but.. You have to shift into park and than drove when you return to the vehicle to drive off. Other vehicles having automatically putting vehicle in park only have to engage drive to move vehicle.

The owners manual of gx550 instructs to place in park before opening door.. But In Fact the vehicle does not move if you do not follow the written procedure..

Ymmv
While the transmission in the GX is an electronic shift, it is not a fully electronic transmission. There is actually a cable on the shifter that runs to a physical lever on the transmission which puts it in park/drive/reverse. So having the transmission automatically shift to park when you turn it off isn't possible.

Things I can’t stand:

-front and rear cross traffic alert (it only lets you take it off per trip not permanently)

-vehicle monitoring unavailable alert (I drive with my hand at 12:00 so it covers the monitor)

-ANY Alert that I don’t want. Why can’t I customize my vehicle as I want it?

I am confused. If you are going to open the door, why wouldn't you put it in park first? If you want to be able to open the door and have it stay in drive, then the automatic to park is not want you would want. Is this a safety thing for you? Do you often forget to put it in park when you step out of the car?
As an example.. when pulling up to the gang mailbox.. I am now used to just opening the door and walking to the box .. the car (honda passport) automatically goes into park. when putting out the trash cans i can just open the door and go to the rear hatch which is open to remove the trash bins.. Its just another feature that one can do manually but automatic windshield whippers is a great feature but you can turn them on manually. Locking the doors when entering the car can be done manually but a feature of self locking when putting it into gear or driving away is a nice feature. THe list goes on.. Self dimming headlights when someone comes from the other direction vs clicking the low beam switch... .. the mirrors that dip on some vehicles when going into reverse... the tire pressure notification when tires are low..

technology has and will continue to change vehicles functionality and (repair costs).. this is a Lexus..

I would expect at this price point most of these features would be present .. some buyers would not expect them.. the absence of some were not a deal killer for me.. I find the gx meets my current needs/desire just fine.. More so than the lx.. or I would have acquired one (the grill/look prevented consideration just as the grill on the tx is a deal killer for me.... as well as the 4 cylinder on the non hybrid and the land cruiser)

great vehicle... time will tell its reliability and long term foibles.

YMMV

Things I can’t stand:

-front and rear cross traffic alert (it only lets you take it off per trip not permanently)

-vehicle monitoring unavailable alert (I drive with my hand at 12:00 so it covers the monitor)

-ANY Alert that I don’t want. Why can’t I customize my vehicle as I want it?
All may be programable to your desire at the free system modification by the dealer at 5000 miles if they are asked . A bit of research should answer if your preferences above are all programmable at that time..

I am told there are some HIDDEN adjustments the dealer can make that most techs are not aware of beyond the ones discussed in the owners manual... They do not get asked by a vast majority of the owners to make any of the modifications. BUT I would stand with the tech when they go thru each of the screens available to them when they are making the mods.. (THINK them thru before having them done because the second time they have to change them there is a charge by most dealerships)

Wow. I remember when you had to put the key in the door handle to lock it. Now people just want to walk away.
LOL were all getting lazy and being taking over by tech, if we lose the tech someday we won't know how to get to the bathroom. Actually kinda scary.

All may be programable to your desire at the free system modification by the dealer at 5000 miles if they are asked . A bit of research should answer if your preferences above are all programmable at that time..

I am told there are some HIDDEN adjustments the dealer can make that most techs are not aware of beyond the ones discussed in the owners manual... They do not get asked by a vast majority of the owners to make any of the modifications. BUT I would stand with the tech when they go thru each of the screens available to them when they are making the mods.. (THINK them thru before having them done because the second time they have to change them there is a charge by most dealerships)
I’ve researched every way to make it happen and it keeps resetting everytime I restart it.

I had never heard about the dealership doing this, I’m so excited to take it in now.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I would have never thought they could do it!

I have tried every which way to research your claim and have had no luck. Are you able to offer up some suggestions on what could be reprogrammed??

I have tried every which way to research your claim and have had no luck. Are you able to offer up some suggestions on what could be reprogrammed??
Try the owners manual as a first resource.. either the one in the vehicle or the pdf online. On line the information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization)

The owners (gx550) manual is a must read for a $70 to $ 85,000 dollar vehicle that has a huge amount of technology. Must read is perhaps a poor way to state this for all owners. Lets try... if the full feature set of what a vehicle has is useful to an owner it is a must read or must refer to.

Think about your laptop.. it works without knowing every detail about the operating system ... but I suspect if you have been using computers for more than 20 years you begin to learn about features and "hidden features" that make it easier or help eliminate some of the annoyances you have with the operating system or the Computer itself.

You can get into the car and just drive it.. You can probably figure out how to fumble thru the infotainment screens to find the radio and other features. but a deep dive requires some time and desire to truly understand what the vehicle is capable of. (or not).
the typical dealer orientation on feature function lets you drive off the lot and be a happy customer. The folks doing the introduction/orientation (to a buyer) for the most part do not know about the customization beyond their cursory knowledge gained by pushing some buttons or watching a couple of utube reviews when they need a quick answer.

Most do not know how to lower the spare tire.. or even where to insert the jack handel to do so.. they know about roadside assistance. Most do not know how to unlock the transmission for towing when needed but say the tow truck operator wil know how to do it. most do not know where the jacking points are on the frame . They dont know that there is a two piece cover for the tow reciever and that you have to remove both parts to insert the pin for the hitch. Nor that a free pin is in the glove box of the vehicle. Nor that the port does not put the lug nuts removed (when putting on Locking nuts) in the vehicle if an owner ever wants to change them out or not have them on when mudding or snow or other conditions where locking nuts are very troublesome. if you were forced to buy them as an option Lexus should put the nuts removed at the port in the vehicle. EVERY OTHER Manufacturer i have purchased cars from put the removed nuts in a bag in the glove box. Lexus has not done so in the south east usa. ( I have asked for them from the dealer and still waiting for a response).

Drivers can just get in and drive. without any more knowledge then learned from driving their last five machines. but this machine is very capable of being adjusted to the whims of the owner.. (pretty amazing actually) enjoy your ride

information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization) hope this answers your questions. but I do not assume that the manual has the most up to date information...t is a great place to start. Its just that the complete answers requires more work from an owner. (or not)

one additional resource (as to the free customization) is the Lexus gx 550 "warranty guide". the following is from the guide page 45 (SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE LOG)

Complimentary First
Scheduled Maintenance
Service: Six Months or
5,000 Miles

Lexus provides your first scheduled
maintenance service at no charge.
The service is performed at six
months or 5,000 miles, whichever
occur first, and includes these items:

• Check for available software
updates (OTAs) and update
upon customer authorization
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Program Lexus Personalized
Settings, if requested
(I added bold and increased text size to make it easier to find in this response)
• Reset scheduled
maintenance reminder
• Rotate tires
• Inspect brake pads and discs
• Inspect wiper blades
• Add fuel injector cleaner to
fuel tank (Hawaii only)
• Check installation of
driver’s floor mat
• Road test vehicle

BTW: oil changes and basic non warranty maintenance is typically less costly at your local toyota dealer (example oil change 179$ at lexus of palm beach .. they offer a $20 discount if asked. the same change at the toyota dealers is $109. They have access to all the oem/ lexus/toyota parts they just cannot perform warranty service at no cost to an owner for a lexus vehicle as they are not reimbursed by lexus (same for out of usa coverage for warranty work at foreign lexus dealers (canada may be an exception.)

Hope some of the above helps lead you to find answers to your questions.

Last edited:
Try the owners manual as a first resource.. either the one in the vehicle or the pdf online. On line the information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization)

The owners (gx550) manual is a must read for a $70 to $ 85,000 dollar vehicle that has a huge amount of technology. Must read is perhaps a poor way to state this for all owners. Lets try... if the full feature set of what a vehicle has is useful to an owner it is a must read or must refer to. THink about your laptop.. it works without knowing every detail about the operating system ... but I suspect if you have been using computers for more than 20 years you begin to learn about features and "hidden features" that make it easier or help eliminate some of the annoyances you have with the operating system or the Computer itself.
You can get into the car and just drive it.. You can probably figure out how to fumble thru the infotainment screens to find the radio and other features. but a deep dive requires some time and desire to truly understand what the vehicle is capable of. (or not).
the typical dealer orientation on feature function lets you drive off the lot and be a happy customer. THe folks doing the introduction (to a buyer) for the most part do not know about the customization beyond their cursory knowledge gained by pushing some buttons or watching a couple of utube reviews when they need a quick answer.

most do not know how to lower the spare tire.. or even where to insert the jack handel to do so.. they know about roadside assistance. Most do not know how to unlock the transmission for towing when needed but say the tow truck operator wil know how to do it. most do not know where the jacking points are on the frame . They dont know that there is a two piece cover for the tow reciever and that you have to remove both parts to insert the pin for the hitch. Nor that a free pin is in the glove box of the vehicle. Nor that the port does not put the lug nuts removed (when putting on Locking nuts) in the vehicle if an owner ever wants to change them out or not have them on when mudding or snow or other conditions where locking nuts are very troublesome. if you were forced to buy them as an option lexus should put the nuts removed at the port in the vehicle. EVERY OTHER Manufacturer i have purchased cars from put the removed nuts in a bag in the glove box. Lexus has not done so in the south east usa. ( I have asked for them from the dealer and still waiting for a response).

Drivers can just get in and drive. without any more knowledge then learned from driving their last five machines. but this machine is very capable of being adjusted to the whims of the owner.. (pretty amazing actually) enjoy your ride

information begins on page 570 (section 8-2. Customization) hope this answers your questions. but I do not assume that the manual has the most up to date information...t is a great place to start. Its just that the complete answers requires more work from an owner. (or not)
You are talking about two things. I agree with you here and have been through the manual to understand all that. What you alluded to are “secret” customizations and reprograms that only the dealer can do or know how to do.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)