Greetings From The High Plains

aniemyer

Oct 7, 2024
Fargo, ND
Hello from scenic Fargo, ND. I'm a "serial" Wrangler (JKU/JLU) owner, and I'm currently shopping for a "20-Year Ride," the one my sons will take the keys from me in about 20 years, maybe more if I'm lucky. Naturally, Toyota products are high on the vehicle longevity list, especially in the northern tier. It took an online reviewer to point out that, given the egregious mark-ups a lot of the Toyota dealers are adding to their Land Cruisers, I can get the GX for virtually the same price, but with all the tremendous interior appointments and mechanical refinements that have made Lexus the quality product it has become of the previous 30 years.

After doing a couple of Overland builds, I am now heavily leaning toward selecting the GX550, so I figured it was best to join and learn. FWIW, I've test-driven MB GL450s, Ineos Grenadiers (The "anti-GX550"), Audi Q7, Land Cruiser, and even the Subaru Ascent. I still have the LR 110/130 to test, but I strongly suspect that may be anticlimactic. ;)

I look forward to learning here.

Best regards.

Hello from scenic Fargo, ND. I'm a "serial" Wrangler (JKU/JLU) owner, and I'm currently shopping for a "20-Year Ride," the one my sons will take the keys from me in about 20 years, maybe more if I'm lucky. Naturally, Toyota products are high on the vehicle longevity list, especially in the northern tier. It took an online reviewer to point out that, given the egregious mark-ups a lot of the Toyota dealers are adding to their Land Cruisers, I can get the GX for virtually the same price, but with all the tremendous interior appointments and mechanical refinements that have made Lexus the quality product it has become of the previous 30 years.

After doing a couple of Overland builds, I am now heavily leaning toward selecting the GX550, so I figured it was best to join and learn. FWIW, I've test-driven MB GL450s, Ineos Grenadiers (The "anti-GX550"), Audi Q7, Land Cruiser, and even the Subaru Ascent. I still have the LR 110/130 to test, but I strongly suspect that may be anticlimactic. ;)

Best regards.
Welcome to the forum.

I think the engine alone, makes the 550 a better choice than the LC.
On the one hand, I think that Toyota corporate engineering made the right call in focusing on a traditional ICE-Battery hybrid powerplant over the EEV/EVs, which continue to display issues that were predicted. OTOH, the execution on the LC chassis and the modeling shown on 550s makes me happy that corporate allowed Lexus to stay with a pure ICE.

I'm looking forward to doing a test drive on a 550 soon, as I can then compare it head-to-head with the LC is recently drove. I've driven both straight and turbo’d 6s, and have a good idea how they feel on both light (JKU) and heavy (F-150) chassis.

Best regards

Best regards.
Welcome. I was in a similar situation with my GX purchase. Been through a mirade of full size trucks and the new Bronco. Wanted something to hang onto for the long haul. Came close to pulling the trigger on a low mileage "21" LC Heritage Edition with the 5.7. In the end the updated interior and overall appearance of the GX won me over. After spending time in both the GX and LC the GX powertrain was the better choice for me. As long as the engine proves to be reliable it will end up being an excellent update to the LC/GX platform. Good luck on your decision.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back