GX550 Aftermarket Wheel & Tire Thread

I spoke to the dealership here in Orlando and they said they can recalibrate it once I bring it in for the first service. Pricing may vary but my local dealership said $49 for the speedo recalibration

I spoke to the dealership here in Orlando and they said they can recalibrate it once I bring it in for the first service. Pricing may vary but my local dealership said $49 for the speedo recalibration
Interesting. I didn’t know you could recalibrate the wheel/tire size.

Is this something you can do yourself? Also does the larger tire diameter mess up any of the built in traction control / awd performance?

How long did you wait for these? I had to wait 10 months
These were originally 6x135 and I had them custom drilled 6x139.7. The shop I ordered them from had them sitting for a few months so I got a great deal on them with the free CNC custom Drilling. They were originally ordered for my Ford Bronco Raptor but since I sold my Bronco for the GX I was luckily able to get them drilled. And yes I know they are the poor man's version of The Volk racing te37's wheels, but they're just as reliable and they were in stock.

Threepieceus was my wheel vendor. Super helpful and quick shipping. Ask for Jake

These were originally 6x135 and I had them custom drilled 6x139.7. The shop I ordered them from had them sitting for a few months so I got a great deal on them with the free CNC custom Drilling. They were originally ordered for my Ford Bronco Raptor but since I sold my Bronco for the GX I was luckily able to get them drilled. And yes I know they are the poor man's version of The Volk racing te37's wheels, but they're just as reliable and they were in stock.

Threepieceus was my wheel vendor. Super helpful and quick shipping. Ask for Jake
Eventually got my set. I’ve emailed Jake from threepiece in the past. Super cool guy. I’ve ran DRX on my Tacoma and GX460. It’s a great wheel.

Looks awesome! Where did you get your Ray's from?
Showstoppers
Ordered in October
Made in March and received in Aug.

Attachments

• IMG_5590.jpeg
    IMG_5590.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 142
How yall dealing information with speedometer being off? It's going to be off 10 to 20% depending on the size
Mine is off by about 7%. Quick rule of thumb on the highway is that you’re going about 5 mph faster than indicated. I’ve lived like this for the past 20 years so it’s natural.

If this is true I’ll probably get it done when I take mine in for service at 5K miles. I’ve never had an accurate speedo and odo!

Tried putting a 4Runner TE rim on it today. Fits fine, and I guess has different offset, because it seems to poke them out more, but couldn’t tell for sure because I couldn’t get lugs to work. The BFG AT KO2 285/70/17 load C is damn near the exact size of the stock OT setup. Not sure why because on paper the 285 should be wider. The lugs and lug nuts are not interchangeable. GX lugs are fatter. Tried GX nuts but they have a flared out portion that wouldn’t fit in the 4Runner rim’s lug cavity. The reason I was going to try this was to compare ride quality since I’m having a bit of jitter (see other thread on that).

Attachments

• IMG_6540.jpeg
    IMG_6540.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 108
Tried putting a 4Runner TE rim on it today. Fits fine, and I guess has different offset, because it seems to poke them out more, but couldn’t tell for sure because I couldn’t get lugs to work. The BFG AT KO2 285/70/17 load C is damn near the exact size of the stock OT setup. Not sure why because on paper the 285 should be wider. The lugs and lug nuts are not interchangeable. GX lugs are fatter. Tried GX nuts but they have a flared out portion that wouldn’t fit in the 4Runner rim’s lug cavity. The reason I was going to try this was to compare ride quality since I’m having a bit of jitter (see other thread on that).
Yeah 4Runner is M12x1.5 lugs and GX is 5x114.3 lugs. Bolt pattern is the same 6x139.7 though.

I kinda like the silver 4Runner wheels though against the Nori. Good luck.

Yeah 4Runner is M12x1.5 lugs and GX is 5x114.3 lugs. Bolt pattern is the same 6x139.7 though.

I kinda like the silver 4Runner wheels though against the Nori. Good luck.
Never been crazy about black rims, although I do recognize that they are way more popular now a days. Those TE rims are just classic. Easy to clean too. Would look good on any truck probably. I’m pondering doing a titanium color aftermarket rim on the GX with 285/75/17 and maybe matching that color on a roof rack. Gonna lurk here for a while and see what others are doing too.

I went with Titanium Method 703s.

I picked up a set of four 2003-2009 4th generation 4Runner OEM alloy wheels for $50 a few weeks ago. They are 7.5" wide X 17" diameter with a +30 offset. My Method wheels are 8.5" wide X 17" diameter with a +35 offset. I'm using one of the 4Runner wheels as my spare and I'll be taking it to the tire shop in about 500 miles to get my tires rotated and also buy a spare tire - going to try to fit a 33.5" spare (a "34" tire) under the cargo hold in the stock spot. I bought the 4Runner wheels because I'll be selling my stock Overtrail 18" wheels as a full set of five. The best part is that I sold the remaining 3 4Runner wheels for $100 the other day!

+Method 703 titanium.jpg

IMG_9820.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of love for the offroad wheels in the thread. Anyone repping the street warriors club? lol. So anything 20" + for the pavement busters? specifically for the luxury / premium trims as those have a bit cleaner lines. I think that the GX550 will dress up quite nicely in 20+'s. I'm looking for some inspiration in 20/22"s but with a little more aggressive tread design. As someone who will rarely go "offroad", I'm fine with lighter duty tires, less rubber.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)